cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speeds and Data gone. I would like a refund.

New Poster

Slow speeds and Data gone. I would like a refund.

Typically when a product or service becomes unbearable I just stop using it.

I am new to HughesNet. My installation was less than a month ago. For the the first 20 days everything worked great. On day 21, my service came to a halt, when I checked the usage meter is showed my 10 gigabyte data plan was used up. Okay, now it seems I have to buy tokens to keep using the service. I bought an additional 5 gigabytes for $15 --- my logic was if I used 10 gigs for 20 days, then an additional 5 gigs would carry me through another 9 days, wrong. The next morning, the 5 gigs I bought were used up. - I called customer support and they could not find the problem, they recommended I upgrade to a larger data plan. - I don't mind paying for service, so I agreed and upgraded to the 30 gigabyte data plan. The very next morning I see the 30 gigs are used up, what the heck! - This makes no sense, why would it work fine for 20 days and then suddenly become so terrible.

And, there's another bigger problem, why does my service stop working in the evenings, it seems like everyday around 4-5PM this service comes to halt, basically no internet, pages take forever to load, I mean staring at a blank screen for 30-60 seconds and forget about YouTube, NetFlix or OnDemand shows, those don't exist for us anymore.

I started reading these forums yesterday to see if maybe I was doing something wrong, I was very surprised to see so many negative posts and comments about the same issue I am having, and a google search reveals a much larger problem since there are so many videos and blog posts saying the same thing about this service.

At this time, I am very dissappointed with this service and would like a refund, actually the refund would be for services not provided since we have not been able to use the internet or watch movies at night.

7 REPLIES
Senior Instructor

Re: Slow speeds and Data gone. I would like a refund.

The first thing that you might want to troubleshoot is your data usage...

What activities are you doing, and how many devices are you using?  Can' you give us a full picture of your local network?

Assistant Professor

@ArtV

During your first twenty days of service you are in a relaxed bandwidth periodk, which means your data is constantly refilled.  HughesNet does this as a courtesy to allow people to update/upgrade their devices without it affecting what would be their normal monthly data allotment, as doing those things can consume a LOT of data.  The relaxed bandwidth period is explained in the Welcome email from HughesNet.   

When that relaxed bandwidth period ended you used your 10GB up VERY quickly, but it was actually used in one day, not 21 days.  This is why your token data is being chewed through so quickly, as well.  Something you are doing (maybe not actively) is using a TON of data.  

You mentioned On Demand.  Do you have a satellite TV receiver connected?  On Demand might be streaming in HD, and HD streaming can use 3GB or more per hour.  That's three hours of streaming and your entire month of data is nearly gone.  Addtionally, if it's a DirecTV receiver, it can utilize data for more than just On Demand, and a LOT of it.  It's usually recommended that DirecTV satellite TV receiver NOT be connected to HughesNet because of the data they can use, which is uncontrollable.  I'm not sure about Dish Network receivers.  

HughesNet isn't made for cord cutting.  One can stream with it, but it has to be done within reason because of the amount of data streaming can use.  People who do stream tend to do so in SD, as HD eats so much data.  SD, with Netflix, utilizes about 700MB per hour.  With a 10GB plan, that's still only about 14 hours of streaming, and that's only streaming.  Your devices are going to use data for other things, too, so that max streaming possibility isn't really a reality.  

What devices are you using with HughesNet?  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
New Poster

Thanks for responding. I don't think I'm doing anything unusual, I have one iMac directly connected to the modem, and a second iMac using WiFi, and one Dish TV using WiFi. No other devices use the network.

I don't think troubleshooting is going to help, if HughesNet can't handle these devices then I believe we out of options. The sales rep said HughesNet would be able to handle all of these devices and more, no problem. 

Again thank you for responding but I don't have time to fool around with troubleshooting or running diagnostics, that's your job. When I pay for a service, I expect it to work, it's that simple and no more complicated.

Please advise on how I can get a refund.

Tags (1)
Highlighted
Adjunct Instructor

If you like, an admin (read: Hughes employee) can have your sales call reviewed for misleading comments.

The majority of us here are not employees and cannot effect that.

Senior Instructor

ArtV wrote:

Thanks for responding. I don't think I'm doing anything unusual, I have one iMac directly connected to the modem, and a second iMac using WiFi, and one Dish TV using WiFi. No other devices use the network.

Connecting a DirecTV or Dish Network unit to your Hughesnet system can result in substantial data usage...  Those devices will download program guide information, as well as PPV, and recorded shows over your internet connection when they get connected.  While it's usable on Hughesnet, it's generally not recomended to connect these kinds of devices.

ArtV wrote:

Again thank you for responding but I don't have time to fool around with troubleshooting or running diagnostics, that's your job.

You posted in tech support... How silly it was of me to think you wanted help in troubleshooting your service.  Even if I was a Hughesnet Employee, I wouldn't be able to magically make things work with out the end user doing some tests.

ArtV wrote:

Please advise on how I can get a refund.

Don't think you will be able to get a refund, however, if your sales call was misleading, then I am sure that @Liz or @Amanda would be more than happy to let you out of your contract ETF-free.

Good morning ArtV,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community! We can certainly request your sales call to be reviewed and determine whether expectations were properly set. I'll post back once I have an update for you.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

New Poster

Thanks to all the people who posted, especially for those who do not work for HughesNet and are just being supportive.

@Liz - Thank you for reviewing this issue, I look forward to getting out of this service in the most amicable way.