cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speeds and crappy tech support

New Poster

Slow speeds and crappy tech support

This has to be the worst satellite internet company out there. You hardly ever get the speeds you are paying for. You never seem to get the advanced tech support calls but yet they always have called and no one was home. I wish I had never gotten their service and could get out of the contract. 

3 REPLIES
Distinguished Professor II

Re: Slow speeds and crappy tech support

First, it's best to check to make sure that you are not presently out of data and subject to throttling due to the Fair Access Policy.  You can see if you are out of data by going here.  If you aren't presently out of data, please run a few speed tests using the following protocol and post the Results page URL so that the tests can be viewed. 

----------------------------

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account (if you do not already have one) and, while signed into that account, perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share the account results link with us here.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi while the speed tests are being performed
-use the manual 25MB size download test file 

-If testing upload instead of download, please use the manual 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx  (due to being an older page, the test sizes are incorrect for Gen5 (please use the test sizes listed above, in bold, for Gen5)).

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

If you are unaware of how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see "How do I manage my built in WiFi modem?" in this PDF.  Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

I agree with the slow speeds. At first, when I started with HN, the speed was good. NOW a few months later, it is significantly slower!!!

New Poster

have had this account for 3 weeks and for 3 weeks been on the phone with support constantly about speed! Calling on Monday to bring back frontier this is unacceptable even on a bad day with frontier my sppeds beat this system hands down!