Slow speeds - any way to improve?

Hughesnet Speedtests.PNG

16 REPLIES 16
Unknown
New Poster

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Are you out of bandwith?

No - I am down to 10% right now, but as you can see these speed tests are over the last several days. I also have bought tokens.

Thank you,

Patrick

maratsade

Patrick,

Due to the pandemic, speeds have been slower for everyone, and the slowdown is a lot more noticeable to those of us using satellite internet.

HN has done quite a bit to make things more tolerable for everyone, but they can't change reality, unfortunately. Often having a lot of people in your area using the system makes everything slower for everyone, as does having many things connected to the wifi. 

Do you have a lot of devices connected to the wifi? You may want to disconnect as many as you can. 

The HN reps on this site may get back to you regarding speeds, but it may take a while, as they seem to be spread awfully thin these days.  Hang in there.

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

Unknown wrote:

No - I am down to 10% right now, but as you can see these speed tests are over the last several days. I also have bought tokens.

Thank you,

Patrick

Thanks for the reply maratsade. 

I do have some other devices connected, however, they are using very little data and auto updates are turned off. I am trying to work from home. I do alot of data analysis, so files being shared from my wired laptop (directly to the modem) can be large. Also, I was hoping to do screen sharing over Skype for Business, but that does not work at all at these speeds. In the past, it has worked, albeit with some delay.

Very frustrating because satellite is my only option. no cell service here. Although Verizon's map says there is service, I am skeptical. Also, the reviews of their mifi devices are horrible. So I am stuck.

maratsade

Given the numbers of people working at home, I'm not surprised Skype isn't working.  

Verizon's map says there is service in my area too, but that's not true at all. My connections are abysmal, and I have to drive 15 minutes to get to an area with good Verizon service.

Can you open a free account with Testmy.net?  It's a good way to keep a record of speeds that can be used by the corporate engineers to investigate issues with speeds.  If you decide to do it, follow this procedure: https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607

I did setup up an account and that is what I linked to above in my second post. The first post I put a screen shot of my results from my account.

I thought I followed all those steps in the link you provided. If I did not, let me know.

Thanks

maratsade

Cool. Let's hope the reps on this site will get back to you regarding your speeds. You may want to add some more tests, so you build up a good history. 

Ran the full automatic test at 5 min intervals for 5x. Data now in my results.

https://testmy.net/quickstats/P%20D

Please help tech support?

maratsade

They'll help you, but you'll need to give them time. 

Hi Unknown, 

Welcome and thank you for posting. Glad to see maratsade has already jumped in to assist. I do see 7 devices connected, and although auto-updates are turned off, there still may be background apps working without your knowledge. The only way to be absolutely sure a device is not using up your your shared bandwidth is to turn off its wifi or turn it off completely.

We also have information here regarding working from home: https://www.hninfo.us/worktips

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

I've read that working from home post. 

Also, the devices connected are not transmitting any significant amount of data more than I need to. In fact, in the morning, most of those devices are generally not being used, yet I am still getting extremely slow access speeds (I would assume most of the rest of the HN community is not streaming videos in the morning either). I am prevented from being able to share my screen on Skype for Business (not using audio or video over Skype - I call in separately on my land line). I need to be able to share my screen. Is there any way to speed up my connection speed so this is possible?

Thank you.

Good morning, 

I'm sorry if I wasn't more clear when I brought up the multiple devices. When there are more devices online, they are sharing your speeds. To illustrate:

This is a screenshot from our video explaining how to make the most of your internet. So whatever speeds you're getting to the modem, that is split amongst all connected devices. With that said, you can try isolating the device you're working on and also ensure there aren't any background apps running on that device. 

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

I disconnected everything except my laptop from the modem and ran the automatice speedtests (5x every 5 min) this morning. 

I then connected everything back up and did the same test (first test with everything was at 10:55 am).

https://testmy.net/quickstats/P%20D

In the initial tests the 4th one was only 1.59Mbps. The others were much faster. A large variation. Connecting everything back on resulted in the next five tests which were all pretty consistently around 1 to 1.5 Mbps.

I have disconnected several devices and will leave them disconnected.

I ran one more download test only after disconnecting most of the devices. Now I am only getting 0.9Mbps.

The large variations will still prevent me from doing a screen share as it will cut in and out. Does your system prioritize Skype for Business so that I can use sreenshare without interruption?

Thank you

Hi Unknown,

Thank you for that. I don't know which specific sites or services we're prioritizing, but what I can can do is send your request for Skype for Business to be prioritized, if it already isn't being done. 

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

-Liz

Thank you Liz!