Hughesnet Community

Slow speeds, bad audio on calls

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ronshepston

Slow speeds, bad audio on calls

I mean for this comment to be to the original post not to your comment, Amanda but it's not clear to me how to do that.Anyway, having spent many years in direct support of customers I've that better support comes from laying off the attitude. So, I ask this with respect - was that video a gag? I was expecting to learn why I shouldn't cancel my service after two weeks. My service is not only worthless it's harmful. Usually uploads are less than 1.0 mb but latency is so long that often my brokers 'websites timeout during my two-stage logins. The entire loop which relies on the internet, is so slow that phone conversations, when they work at all, remind me of those international calls I made 30 years ago. The delay and broken voice make calls impossible. When I need to make a call I have to drive 5-6 miles to get direct connect to a cell tower. For internet I rely on my neighbors cable and log into his router. It's weak but it's better than HughesNet. If I get lucky I can get a small window when phone works on HughesNet and internet from my neighbor's router.When I called customer service to cancel my service a guy obviously from India told me "I will fix your problem and this will be the last time you will have to call." I suffered his rudimenary process that led to rebooting both my Nighthawk AC1900 router and the HughesNet modem. I expected a callback when the inevitable disconnect occurred. I guess he didn't really mean it when he said that would be my last call. Three days later and I'm still waiting.Why did I change in the first place? I've been captive to Cox for 22 years. I'd had enough of vost creep and inferior service. Example: I called to complain about speeds. The CS rep said "your modem won't allow the higher speeds.". When I asked when my modem became "old" she said "two years ago." A bit of research lead me to HughesNet. I thought 10mb fown and 2mb up was enough for me. I had no way of knowing that the uploads were usually 0.1 - 0.3mb with long latency and big gaps.Now, that I've vented it shouldn't surprise anyone why I looked to a post on Gen5 with hope and why the video gave me nothing to keep the hope alive.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Sneak Preview Of New Gen5 Service Features.
5 REPLIES 5
Amanda

Hello Ron,

Welcome to our community and thank you for your post. We're really disappointed that you are not enjoying your HughesNet service and would like to help figure out what is going on. I believe a good place to start is on our Frequently Asked Questions page: https://www.hughesnet.com/frequently-asked-questions

You can use the search feature to find out more about brokerage/trading usage and disclaimers.  In regards to your phone service - are you trying to use the HughesNet service as a WiFi calling hot-spot? If so, this will not work very well at all (also addressed in the FAQ). The release of Gen5 will not change that, unfortunately, as it is a disadvantage of satellite internet and physics. 

Please let me know if you have any questions outside of the information provided in the FAQ link above.

Thank you,
Amanda
ronshepston

Thank you, Amanda. I live 6 mi into a narrow canyon in Southern California so we have no useable cell service unless we use something like Sprint's Airave which is like a microcell for receiving weak signals then sending voice out over the internet. The rep told it would work. I can solve that problem by getting a hard land line. What concerns me more is the poor performance of my trading platforms despite assurances by the rep.

As background I'm a EE specializing in fields and waves with 40 years experience so I know a little about how this works. I just did a bit of research and saw that Gen 4 uses EchoStar XVII which is geostationary on 107W longitude. I live at 34° 44' xx" N 117° 35' xx" W. That puts me west and south of the satellite. My dish is pointing due south at about 30°. How does it work at all?
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

You are actually NNW of Echostar XVII, not SW.  

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Ron,

Which modem do you have?

There are presently two satellites in use (EchoStar 19 was just launched and is not yet in service.

Spaceway3 is located at 95'W.  Users with the HN9000 modem are serviced by Spaceway3

Echostar17 is located at 107.1'W. Users with HT1000/HT1100 modems are serviced by Echostar17.

If you are pointed due south I would guess you have the HN9000 Modem and one of the monthly refill plans

Amanda

Hi Ron,

Just a heads up we are still waiting on your sales call review.  Requirements for installation and acquiring signal to Echostar XVII is a clear view of the southern sky. Geo orbit location is not necessarily an indication of where the dish needs to look. I'll be back with an update on your sales call review.

Thanks
Amanda