Hughesnet Community

Slow speeds if I don't reset router and modem every day.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
allen.bottiger
New Poster

Slow speeds if I don't reset router and modem every day.

I get slow speeds if I don't reset my modem and router everyday. Is there some way to not having to do this? Also could you give some info on Gen5 and if it is available in my area. Thanks
11 REPLIES 11
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

allen.bottiger,

It's possible that your Hughesnet modem and your router are having an IP address conflict.  

This following is a copy/paste from another post from a person who knows more about this than I.  If you don't know how to check, let us know what brand and model your router is so we can help you to do so.

The Hughes modem is hardwired for 192.168.0.1

That IP can not be shared or changed. It is not unheard of for routers to have that address set as their default LAP IP which leads to some "issues".

I suggest that you check your routers LAN IP address and set it to 192.168.1.1

As for Gen5, there has been no official release regarding plans, pricing or availability, though it's supposedly going to cover pretty much the entire lower 48.  Hopefully we'll all know soon.  

allen.bottiger
New Poster

Modem is a Hughes  HT1100.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

What do you have the router LAN IP set to?
allen.bottiger
New Poster

How do I find that?
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Look the manual for your router and find the default address to open the routers GUI.
What happens when you enter 192.168.0.1 ?
Does the modems SCC open or do you get something else?
allen.bottiger
New Poster

Here are my speed tests results. Can you explain why such slow downloads in the eveining?
http://testmy.net/quickstats/allenbottiger
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Your speeds in the evening are most likely lower because of it being a peak usage period.  Your beam, gateway and the entire Hughesnet system has a finite throughput, and the more people that are on and using the service during this time means it slows down overall, but the amount it slows down can be different for each beam and gateway, again depending on the number of people using the service on those beams and gateways. 

The new satellite should be up and running fairly soon, and this may alleviate some of that through various means.  More information will be known about that when it's officially released, but it shouldn't be long for that.  

In the meantime, there may still be something that can be done to improve your speeds somewhat in the evening, but it will require some testing to be done in a certain manner.  

You should run a group of three to five tests at testmy.net, and run a group of tests at various times of the day.  Make sure you are signed in when running the tests, like you have been.  This way they can see that you are having different speeds depending on the time of day.  Also, make sure to run the tests with a single device connected directly to the modem with a LAN cable (NO ROUTER).  The rest of this is a copy/paste from another thread....

If you haven't set up an account at testmy.net here are instructions on getting started: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

Most important points:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable
-use the 12MB test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/[yourusername]

allen.bottiger
New Poster

When I enter the 192.168.0.1 into my browser the hughes ht1100 control center comes up.
shortchic

LIARS. PLUG THE PC INTO THE MODEM AND SEE IT NO DIFFERENT. JUST AS BAD.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

shortchic,

As I stated before, if you have an issue, please create a new topic and follow the directions given to help troubleshoot your service.  Making posts like that can eventually be considered spam and result in you being blocked from the community.

Thanks,
C0RR
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

"LIARS. PLUG THE PC INTO THE MODEM AND SEE IT NO DIFFERENT. JUST AS BAD."

Who are you to call someone a liar?

You haven't even enough on the ball to turn the cap lock off and make an intelligent post!

Do you even have an inkling of Networking?

Do you understand the effects that a router can introduce such as the various versions of QoS?

Wired versus wireless? 2.4 Ghz or % Ghz?

Can you even begin to understand that proper, inclusive troubleshooting demands that the number of variables be reduced to the absolute minimum while developing a baseline performance levels.

I think we can read your level of understanding just from reading your posts.

My advice to you is to pack up your computer and return it if possible to wherever you got because its setup and use is well beyond your understanding and you lack the ability to gain new information.

EDIT:

You are the victim of not knowing how much you don't know.