cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stephens5291174
Freshman

Slow speeds in the evenings -New Customer-

I am a new customer with an install yesterday 3/13/2019

Speeds at the time of install was 25+mbs about 7pm yesterday that speed dropped to just above 512 kbps. 

Speeds this morning 3/14/2019 25+mbs, and around 5:15pm this evening it was 25+mbs. Then at 7pm another drastic drop to the reported speed of 726 kbps. 

Direct connection to the router, and wifi turned off. Using Google Chrome browser. 

Not a good start to being a customer. 

https://testmy.net/quickstats/rgstephe

Posted previously, but somehow it got rejected when I edited the link. 

24 REPLIES 24
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@stephens5291174 

Sometimes the system has a hiccup.  

As in my prior reply, evening slowdowns are normal, but they shouldn't be to that extent.  The following is the protocol for the speed tests that the reps will need to help you.

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account (if you do not already have one) and, while signed into that account, perform a batch of 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share the account results link with us here.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi while the speed tests are being performed
-use the 25MB size download test file 

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please see this site (due to being an older site, the stated test sizes are incorrect for Gen5 (please use the test sizes listed in the instructions above, in bold, for Gen5)).

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

If you don't know how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see "How do I manage my built-in WiFi modem?" in this PDF. Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).

stephens5291174
Freshman

Well no better today. I have done the test as described in the pinned post.

No cell service where we are, and cant use the landline as it's VoIP.
maratsade

didn't see the link - sorry! 

GabeU

@stephens5291174 wrote:
Well no better today. I have done the test as described in the pinned post.

No cell service where we are, and cant use the landline as it's VoIP.

Being that the reps aren't usually on during the weekend, it would be a good idea to get a few more tests in over the weekend.  Then, when they're back on Monday, they'll have more to see.  

Just out of curiosity, are you absolutely sure that none of your devices could be continually downloading something?  The reason I ask this is because that's a HUGE drop in speed from what it was just after your install.  

Also, if you haven't tried this already, see if power cycling your HughesNet modem helps anything.  To do so, unplug your HughesNet modem at either the power outlet or the power brick (NOT at the back of the modem), wait at least a minute, then plug the modem back in.  Then wait about five minutes so that everything can be fully up and ready with the modem, and then check your speed.  

Yes positive there is nothing downloading as I unhooked everything and plugged directly into the modem. With a fresh restart of the computer.

I have power cycled it a few times actually.

I have posted a link to my test results is that showing up in my post above?
GabeU

@stephens5291174 wrote:
Yes positive there is nothing downloading as I unhooked everything and plugged directly into the modem. With a fresh restart of the computer.

I have power cycled it a few times actually.

I have posted a link to my test results is that showing up in my post above?

The link is showing.  maratsade probably just missed it.  

Just out of curiosity, on this page you're showing plenty of data left (it should be practically full), and both boxes at the top of the page are green, correct?  The reason I ask this is that I'm wondering if somehow the system got tripped up and is thinking you are out of data and throttling your speed, especially with the way you had good speeds at the beginning.  That shouldn't be happening, and I don't recall ever seeing it on this Community before, but anything's possible, and it's an easy thing to check.

rs159
New Poster

Welcome to HughesNet.  In all honesty I don't think customer service can really do anything...what could they actually do other than to log your issue (I don't think a tech could speed up the signal to the dish on my roof, could they?  Escalate to engineering they say, maybe, but what then?).  I've long been dealing with the speed issue and get up supper early to take advantage of the after-hours speeds, but alas that has also gone away as of late.  Afternoon and early evening hour speeds are just dismal.  I'm three years in to finding just the right time to work.  I depend on my HugesNet service and glad they exist for sure.

If you call you'll be put through a ritual of connecting to your modem and running 3 speed tests.  Once, my speeds were so slow it took 30 minutes to conduct thre three tests (and the last speed test never finished).  I've made several service calls over the years and on one occassion they dispatched a service tech to check my "system".  The tech arrived and performed the same speed tests I can do on my own, said there was nothing they could do, had me sign a form and left.  The tech said this is what he sees all the time.

My guess is the satellite service is oversold and for that we've paid the price, both in speeds and out-of-pocket cost.  But who knows??  Anyone?

Customer service is always friendly and they seem to care, but once the issue is diagnosed as neither a modem issue or dish directional issue, you're sunk I'm pretty sure.  I still hope every morning it will be better.  Some days are better than others.  Maybe today will be a good day.  Let me test my speed now at 5:20AM....darn, so slow the test is at 9% download of 12MB 15 minutes later.

We have had our HughesNet system for about 10 months. Your letter sounds exactly like something that I could have written almost word for word. We live in the eastern US and I find that from 5AM until 1030AM m speed is good enough to stream video with no buffering issues. Around 1030 it’s almost like running into a wall. Video stops running. I run out of data every month. A lot is wasted trying to stream video. Even the tokens are wasted. Strange thing is my Amazon Firestick works pretty good. My IPTV service requires more speed and won’t stream unfortunately we presently have no other choice here except HughesNet so I am grateful for what we receive. I agree. They’ve oversold and cannot deliver.  

maratsade

You may want to start a new ticket by going to https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/bd-p/TechSupport and clicking on Start a new topic.  This will keep the tickets separate so each ticket can receive individualised attention.  For speed issues, please also follow the protocol outlined here: https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/td-p/110034/jump-to/first...

Please note the Hughesnet reps and engineers require this protocol in order to address speed issues. 

Onelakedawg wrote:

We live in the eastern US and I find that from 5AM until 1030AM m speed is good enough to stream video with no buffering issues. Around 1030 it’s almost like running into a wall. Video stops running. I run out of data every month. A lot is wasted trying to stream video. Even the tokens are wasted. Strange thing is my Amazon Firestick works pretty good. My IPTV service requires more speed and won’t stream unfortunately we presently have no other choice here except HughesNet so I am grateful for what we receive. I agree. They’ve oversold and cannot deliver.  

maratsade

"My guess is the satellite service is oversold and for that we've paid the price, both in speeds and out-of-pocket cost.  But who knows??  Anyone?"

Not necessarily. There may be other reasons for this (and to complicate things, these reasons may be different for different beams and for different geographical areas), which is why when people post their tech issues here, there is so much troubleshooting.  It is necessary to figure out what's going on, and it can be a slow process.    Guessing what may be going on is unproductive; systematic testing is what gets things done and improved, but again, this sometimes takes time. 

rs159 wrote:

So I've given some thought to buying a two-smartphone plan with 22g  data wifi hotspot limits each (so I can get close to the 50g I get now with my plan here) and using that instead of HuhgesNet...about $120/month.  I pay now with HughesNet $100 for less than 2mb download speeds on average.  

Has anyone tried this?  I guess the key is cell phone reception. Anyone have experience boosting cell signal?  Wish HughesNet worked so I didn't have to hack this need for decent speed.

GabeU

@rs159 wrote:

So I've given some thought to buying a two-smartphone plan with 22g  data wifi hotspot limits each (so I can get close to the 50g I get now with my plan here) and using that instead of HuhgesNet...about $120/month.  I pay now with HughesNet $100 for less than 2mb download speeds on average.  

Has anyone tried this?  I guess the key is cell phone reception. Anyone have experience boosting cell signal?  Wish HughesNet worked so I didn't have to hack this need for decent speed.

You could also start a new topic in Tech Support and work on getting the issue resolved.  

guthriewl
New Poster

Welcome to the club. Be thankful it is only slow in the evening. Most everyone else is all the time. Yes, you made a mistake and they will hold you to the contract. I am almost at the end of mine. HAPPY DAYS.

Very misleading company and support is terrible putting you on hold many times and running test for hours(8 hours once) on end with nothing resolved.

The Federal Communication Commission should investigate this company. Contact your Senator or Congressman but if they are on the take you are out of luck.

maratsade

What utter nonsense.  

This is a tech support site, so of course,people posting here have issues. The company has 1.2 million customers -- they don't all have issues.  Many of us don't. 

The Feds have no problem with Hughesnet. HN actually has many awards and is a pretty good company, based on their ratings and the awards they received. You know, actual evidence vs opinion.  

Just because you are disgruntled is no reason to post misinformation.  Have a problem? Give some detail and let the people on this site help you solve them. 

Hate the company? Pay the ETF and go somewhere else. You're not chained to the service.

I understand there are always some.bugs to work out and I get that.

I made the change based on the poor service from viasat and was hoping for a chance to have a better experience.
So far my experience has been way worse than viasat.

I am also not one of those people that think I'm going to get the same level of service as a cable internet subscriber.

I was giving the techs in the group an opportunity to respond which has not happened yet. So I will have to call cs.

Yes the agreement with HughesNet says speeds up to but their advertising gives a very misleading level of expectation.

Where I live I have no other options, it really is the less smelly of 2 pieces of crap.
GabeU

@stephens5291174 

It can take a day or two for the reps to reply.  They aren't on during the weekends.  Unfortunately, when others fill a thread with their posts it can sometimes "muddy the waters" of that thread, causing a rep to miss where someone is asking for help.  I don't know that this is the case, but it's possible that it was just missed.  

While you're certainly free to call for support, the support you can get from the corporate reps here is much better, IMHO, than the help that you can receive from the phone reps.   

Again, you're free to call for support, but I'll tag a couple of reps so they will be sure to see this and reply, regardless. 

@Liz

@Damian 

@Amanda 

@Hardy  

Hello Russell,

Thank you for posting here and I do apologize for the delay in response As Gabe has stated, we are not in on the weekend and the original post can get lost among the rest of the unrelated posts attached to your thread. If you need a more immediate ask and response situation, I recommend calling into our support line at 866-347-3292 or using our live chat service which you can find here https://customercare.myhughesnet.com/support.cfm?source=chat. Our representatives there are available 24/7.

In regards to your service, I do see that the transmission error rate is too high. I have attempted to troubleshoot this remotely, however, I was not able to recover this. I recommend having us send your installer back out to check things on site as this would be more beneficial. A repair for this should be permanent and you would most likely not need a tech to come out again for that reason. Please let me know what you would like to do going forward. This would be of no charge to you and can be scheduled for whatever day you choose, if available. 

-Damian

@Damian wrote:

Hello Russel,

Thank you for posting here and I do apologize for the delay in response As Gabe has stated, we are not in on the weekend and the original post can get lost among the rest of the unrelated posts attached to your thread. If you need a more immediate ask and response situation, I recommend calling into our support line at 866-347-3292 or using our live chat service which you can find here https://customercare.myhughesnet.com/support.cfm?source=chat. Our representatives there are available 24/7.

In regards to your service, I do see that the transmission error rate is too high. I have attempted to troubleshoot this remotely, however, I was not able to recover this. I recommend having us send your installer back out to check things on site as this would be more beneficial. A repair for this should be permanent and you would most likely not need a tech to come out again for that reason. Please let me know what you would like to do going forward. This would be of no charge to you and can be scheduled for whatever day you choose, if available. 

-Damian

Yes @Damian, lets schedule for a tech to return and check the system. Just let me know how I set this up. 

Russell,

I was successfully able to get you an appointment scheduled free of charge for this Friday, Mar 22, 2019, between 11:00 AM-02:00 PM. The technician will be calling the number you provided before he shows up, to confirm the appointment. If for some reason you need to change the scheduled date, you will be able to do so once the technician calls you to confirm the appointment. Please update me on your status once the technician arrives and thank you for your patience and understanding while dealing with this issue. 

-Damian

@Damian wrote:

Russell,

I was successfully able to get you an appointment scheduled free of charge for this Friday, Mar 22, 2019, between 11:00 AM-02:00 PM. The technician will be calling the number you provided before he shows up, to confirm the appointment. If for some reason you need to change the scheduled date, you will be able to do so once the technician calls you to confirm the appointment. Please update me on your status once the technician arrives and thank you for your patience and understanding while dealing with this issue. 

-Damian

Well the tech came today my wife was here to meet him. He said the modem was bad he replaced it, and guess what has changed? Nothing still the same slow speed as before. I am trying to be patient here but I have had the service for a week and it has been horrible.