HughesNet Community

Slow speeds on Beam 55 northern california

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EdV
Sophomore

Slow speeds on Beam 55 northern california

Hello everyone,
I've been lurking on the community reading about all the issues with beam 55 speeds and hoping things would improve soon but, now it's time I joined the ranks of the unhappy beam 55 users.

 

Satellite Name EchoStar-19-NAD
Gateway ID 8
Beam ID 55

Outroute ID 1

I returned to Hughesnet in July 2017 after a 2 year absence.  I was happy with gen5 through about the third week in September.  It was then I noticed speed degradation in the evening hours.  I was about to start a 4 week vacation and didn't think much about the speed problem but figured Hughes would figure it out by the time my vacation ended.  Boy was I wrong. I put my account on a 4 week vacation suspension.  Upon returning from vacation, I again noticed the speed degradation in the evenings.  

Through the community, I found others were having the same problem and that the problem has been occuring consistently for over 3 months. Apparently, Hughesnet is unwilling to share any status updates.  I've been VERY patient as the mods asked us to be!  I just want my $70 internet connection to work for me.  Is that asking too much?  Come on Hughes, be better than that.

Having only the choice of satellite or dialup or nothing, I guess I have to continue to be patient.  But, do I have to continue to pay the full going rate for consistently SLOOOOOW service? We shouldn't have to pay full price for one tenth OR less of the performance.

 

Please no responses about speed not being guaranteed.  I know all that.  Save your keystrokes. I think everyone will agree these speeds are not acceptable.

 

http://testmy.net/quickstats/nedriv



Hoping things get better. PLEASE HUGHES, share some info with us.

Regards,
EdV

 

Location: Placerville, CA|Gen5 Beam:55|Gateway:GIL|Router:ASUS AC68U
37 REPLIES 37
macsociety
Advanced Tutor

@EdV, if it is any consolation, your speeds, although slow, are better than my beam 55 speeds.

 

I have not seen and steady 1Mbps or above for a bit!  All down in the K range for me.

 

https://testmy.net/quickstats/macsociety

TJ

 

 

@EdV....example.... just ran a test.  Getting 151K speed at 4:25pm.  Some rain here but not a drastic downpour.  TJ

 

testmyJan8.png

Ive been trying and trying to get info and updatea but so far nothing...except the classic line "we are working on it"

Bad communication on Hughesnet's part

@macsociety

My speeds this AM are in the tank with your speeds.

 

https://testmy.net/quickstats/nedriv

 

I am regretting my decision to return to HN.  Over three months of waiting for a solution to this problem is unbelievable.  Especially, with no word from HN except, "they're working on it"  and "be patient".

 

If they have indeed oversold their capacity on the satellite beam, that's just poor business from a customers point of view.  But still, they are still selling and advertising how great the service is.

 

I know they have limited the plans available in the beam 55 area to just 2 plans.  Also, you can maybe be moved ES17 satellite as an alternative (if you have line of sight).  I'm told these developments are something new.

 

EdV

Location: Placerville, CA|Gen5 Beam:55|Gateway:GIL|Router:ASUS AC68U

Yea we are all in the same boat, paying for a service that barely works and nothing but excuses and poor service. It was better on Gen 4, once they switched to Gen 5 it went to **bleep**, and now they supposedly have too many people on the same beam and refuse to do anything about it.

I guess all we can do is keep posting here and demanding updates and answers
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

What I don't get is those who jumped ship from Gen 4 just for a few Mbps gain on Gen 5 , especially if it was doing fine on Gen 4.  My Gen 4 is working great actually. Anything above 5 Mbps works nice for me.

 

A case of "grass is greener" fo sure.

 

Though I should be thankful. My beam and gateway seems to be even faster since people switched to Gen 5.

 

https://testmy.net/quickstats/BirdDog2017

BirdDog sed: "What I don't get is those who jumped ship from Gen 4 just for a few Mbps gain on Gen 5 , especially if it was doing fine on Gen 4.  My Gen 4 is working great actually. Anything above 5 Mbps works nice for me.

 

A case of "grass is greener" fo sure."

 

When I called HughesNet tech support today to get help with a Gen4 speed issue, I was strongly advised to switch to Gen5 when nothing else he suggested worked. Maybe that explains it.


@BirdDog wrote:

What I don't get is those who jumped ship from Gen 4 just for a few Mbps gain on Gen 5 , especially if it was doing fine on Gen 4.  My Gen 4 is working great actually. Anything above 5 Mbps works nice for me.

 

A case of "grass is greener" fo sure.

 

Though I should be thankful. My beam and gateway seems to be even faster since people switched to Gen 5.

 

https://testmy.net/quickstats/BirdDog2017


Well initially I did it, or I should say came back to Hughes, for the supposed faster FAP speeds versus the older "Smart Browser".  

 

When I had Gen 4, and I hit FAP (then they did not have any options more than 30GB) my speeds were 128k for download.  Was so slow..... Smart Browsing was OK but really did not work for me.

 

1Mbps during FAP looked so awesome to me.  I figured I would come back on the 30GB per month plan and when I was on Gen 4, I was Mr 1GB per day user.  So I figured I would maybe have a few days of FAP at most but usable FAP.

 

But I came back to doing the same kind use before but instead of religious 1GB per day, it became 2 to 2.5GB per day doing the same type of browsing, periodic YouTube, and maybe 1 Netflix or 2 the whole month.  Seems data use counting changed from Gen 4 to Gen 5.

 

Anyway, the faster more usable speedes under FAP is what grabbed me back.  That did not pan out well for me.  ;-(

 

TJ

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Can't remember when I was in FAP, if ever. Always had enough token bytes to cover any overage.

 

Sure hope my HT1100 has a long life and never forced to the 2000W.


@BirdDog wrote:

Can't remember when I was in FAP, if ever.


I work from home.  Online all day... from 7AM to 5:30PM for work... then after that the wife and I are online in some way until we go to bed.... like at midnight.  Mostly all web browsing... I have 4 sites I have to access for work.  Websites that allow me access to warehouse, online ordering systems, etc... Not VNC stuff but still, have to get onto secure sites.  Use them all day.  Then the wife and I have extra curricular fun stuff.  Facebook, YouTube at 240p (about as low as one can go where it is not too bad), periodic Netflix at low SD rez.... So I don't do actual large downloads and such but always browsing... and even with adblockers.. it all adds up.

 

So I FAP out under Gen 5 with a 20GB plan in 10 days.  I have no plans to splurge to the 30GB or 50GB plans until Hughes works out this whole speed issue.  Once they do, I have no problem paying for the more data cap options but I will limp by until they get this all ironed out.  

 

TJ

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

The running log of HughesNet tests: https://testmy.net/host-history/hughes_network_syste

EdV
Sophomore

I didn't mention this in my post, but I originally posted to the community about this speed problem on Nov 10th or 11th, 2017.  Apparently, my post was deleted by the mods.  I got no feedback on the post from anyone, and searches cannot find the post.  I have a copy of what I posted and used it to structure the new post.    Obviously, one of the mods must have been offended by my comments about the problem.  Anyway, I think we deserve some feedback from HN.  Why are they so SILENT on the subject of slow speeds.

 

@Liz

@Amanda

 

Does HN figure we will continue to sit back and pay full price for less than 1/20th of the service.  Why should we.  HN should offer a reduced rate to those affected by the HN caused problems.  We shouldn't have to beg for information.  But, here I am begging for info from HN.

Location: Placerville, CA|Gen5 Beam:55|Gateway:GIL|Router:ASUS AC68U
Maximus
Freshman

Same issues here in the Northeast. Slow speeds, inconsistent streaming, buffering issues, loss of video with continued audio with provider message "insufucient network speed" blah, blah. Support must have a telephone book of standard responses cause its as if no one listens. I installed Hughesnet 2+ months ago in a 2nd home, remote location. With the house empty 90+ %of the time, no devices, no cell phones the hughesnet Data Usage meter is reporting 2 GBs of data were used in the last 5 days and on average 7-30Mbs every hour, all this use with no one there or nothing powered up... I have tried on these community boards but it seems the common response is to copy and paste a high tech set of instructions to test the system. I am giving it one more attempt and then calling it quits. I dont get close to the 25Mbps/3Mbps speed I was told and my data usage just cant be explained.... Good luck to you all....


@Maximus wrote:

With the house empty 90+ %of the time, no devices, no cell phones the hughesnet Data Usage meter is reporting 2 GBs of data were used in the last 5 days and on average 7-30Mbs every hour, all this use with no one there or nothing powered up..


Are you saying the Hughesnet Modem is not even connected to power and you are losing 2GB in 5 days?  Or did you mean it is on but no systems that can use the modem are powered on?

 

Do you have any wired items direct connected to the modem?

 

Is wireless 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz channels left on?

 

Reason I ask.... when I had a 2nd router in my loop, meaning a router the ISP provided and then my own internal router (an Apple Time Capsule), I ran into an issue that the Apple Time Capsule was grabbing internet data as I had some settings that allowed it to so so.  I was using data and I did not even realize it.  Just something to look at if you are like me and have some other router or device connected to the Hughes modem.

 

Also, maybe try turning off the wifi on the Hughes router to see if data keeps being used.  Maybe there is something doing it.

 

I have learned never to say I am 100% sure it is not me or something I have in the house <grin>.

 

But if your modem is UNPLUGGED and you are losing 2GB in 5 days, yeh something is wrong.

 

TJ

Thank you for the feedback.

The modem stays powered 24/7. The house is vacant with no connected devices.

I do have 1 Arlo motion activated security camera hard wired to modem but motion is triggered 1-2 times a month with a max record time of 15 seconds. I also remotley access the camera for 1-2 minutes once a day. The up and down Mbs are obvious on my hourly data usage report and coinside with my survellence check. Arlo updates 1 maybe 2 times every few months. The hourly usage report indicates constant use 24/7 of between 7-30Mbps per hour. As I mentioned 2 GBs were used in 5 days when the place was vacant. A bit exceesive by any usage meter? I would also like to point out the first 4-5 weeks the hourly data usage was 0.00 for most up and download hours. The constant data usage began with the same setup about 3 weeks ago and has progressivley gotten worse. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I also mentioned by the time i get back to the house on 1/13 I will be out of data and will not be able to run a data depletion test. any suggestions??? Thansk

Hi EdV,

 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community! We appreciate you posting your speed tests. I've run diagnostics on your site and found that the HughesNet equipment is working normally so we can rule that out. Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.

 

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

 

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

End of last week I had a lengthy discussion with 1st line technical support then with 2nd line.  This was regarding not only the very slow speeds up and down but also about a ticket that had been opened for almost 2 weeks. Today is 1/12/18, and a "locak" tech was here this morning to move me off on Beam 55. He put me on beam 19.  

Had a discussion with him about the problams and he replied that there are a lot of pissed customers and that he has been moving customers off of 55 onto 19.  We both commented that maybe the same situation will occur with 19 that happened with 55.

As for this afternoon, I have been getting downloads of 20 MBPS or higher, and uploads from 0.60 to 2 MBPS.  With these speeds I can do my work, although a sporadic slow upload will certainly cause problems.  As for now, here in the Grass Valley area of California the internet is working.  Kudos to their current decision.  RK


@bugstomper wrote:

End of last week I had a lengthy discussion with 1st line technical support then with 2nd line.  This was regarding not only the very slow speeds up and down but also about a ticket that had been opened for almost 2 weeks. Today is 1/12/18, and a "locak" tech was here this morning to move me off on Beam 55. He put me on beam 19.  

Had a discussion with him about the problams and he replied that there are a lot of pissed customers and that he has been moving customers off of 55 onto 19.  We both commented that maybe the same situation will occur with 19 that happened with 55.

As for this afternoon, I have been getting downloads of 20 MBPS or higher, and uploads from 0.60 to 2 MBPS.  With these speeds I can do my work, although a sporadic slow upload will certainly cause problems.  As for now, here in the Grass Valley area of California the internet is working.  Kudos to their current decision.  RK


Oh Wow... was not aware of beam 19.  I am also in Grass Valley so was put on 55 when I signed on Sept 27th.... you must be a neighbor.  hehe

 

Guessing then I may get the same update.  @Liz, since I am also in Grass Valley, can you tell me if I also will be added to this chart for folks getting switched?  Would be nice to know the scoop if yes.  @Liz PM me if needed to be offline for my answer.

 

Thanks

TJ

BirdDog
Assistant Professor


@macsociety wrote:

@bugstomper wrote:

End of last week I had a lengthy discussion with 1st line technical support then with 2nd line.  This was regarding not only the very slow speeds up and down but also about a ticket that had been opened for almost 2 weeks. Today is 1/12/18, and a "locak" tech was here this morning to move me off on Beam 55. He put me on beam 19.  

Had a discussion with him about the problams and he replied that there are a lot of pissed customers and that he has been moving customers off of 55 onto 19.  We both commented that maybe the same situation will occur with 19 that happened with 55.

As for this afternoon, I have been getting downloads of 20 MBPS or higher, and uploads from 0.60 to 2 MBPS.  With these speeds I can do my work, although a sporadic slow upload will certainly cause problems.  As for now, here in the Grass Valley area of California the internet is working.  Kudos to their current decision.  RK


Oh Wow... was not aware of beam 19.  I am also in Grass Valley so was put on 55 when I signed on Sept 27th.... you must be a neighbor.  hehe

 

Guessing then I may get the same update.  @Liz, since I am also in Grass Valley, can you tell me if I also will be added to this chart for folks getting switched?  Would be nice to know the scoop if yes.  @Liz PM me if needed to be offline for my answer.

 

Thanks

TJ


 

 

Beam 19 is probably J1 satellite (was Gen 4) and will take a dish repoint. Maybe they will try to balance the load between the two satellites but not sure it will happen by request.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV


BirdDog wrote: 

Beam 19 is probably J1 satellite (was Gen 4) and will take a dish repoint. Maybe they will try to balance the load between the two satellites but not sure it will happen by request.


Yep.  That beam 19 is definitely on the ES17 (Gen4) sat, and with the ES17 being able to provide Gen5 service I can see this becoming the go to fix for some areas.  

 

Beam 19 on ES17Beam 19 on ES17


Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro