cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EdV
Sophomore

Slow speeds on Beam 55 northern california

Hello everyone,
I've been lurking on the community reading about all the issues with beam 55 speeds and hoping things would improve soon but, now it's time I joined the ranks of the unhappy beam 55 users.

Satellite Name EchoStar-19-NAD
Gateway ID 8
Beam ID 55

Outroute ID 1

I returned to Hughesnet in July 2017 after a 2 year absence.  I was happy with gen5 through about the third week in September.  It was then I noticed speed degradation in the evening hours.  I was about to start a 4 week vacation and didn't think much about the speed problem but figured Hughes would figure it out by the time my vacation ended.  Boy was I wrong. I put my account on a 4 week vacation suspension.  Upon returning from vacation, I again noticed the speed degradation in the evenings.  

Through the community, I found others were having the same problem and that the problem has been occuring consistently for over 3 months. Apparently, Hughesnet is unwilling to share any status updates.  I've been VERY patient as the mods asked us to be!  I just want my $70 internet connection to work for me.  Is that asking too much?  Come on Hughes, be better than that.

Having only the choice of satellite or dialup or nothing, I guess I have to continue to be patient.  But, do I have to continue to pay the full going rate for consistently SLOOOOOW service? We shouldn't have to pay full price for one tenth OR less of the performance.

Please no responses about speed not being guaranteed.  I know all that.  Save your keystrokes. I think everyone will agree these speeds are not acceptable.

http://testmy.net/quickstats/nedriv

Hoping things get better. PLEASE HUGHES, share some info with us.

Regards,
EdV

Location: Placerville, CA|Gen5 Beam:55|Gateway:GIL|Router:ASUS AC68U
37 REPLIES 37
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@GabeU wrote:

BirdDog wrote: 

Beam 19 is probably J1 satellite (was Gen 4) and will take a dish repoint. Maybe they will try to balance the load between the two satellites but not sure it will happen by request.

Yep.  That beam 19 is definitely on the ES17 (Gen4) sat, and with the ES17 being able to provide Gen5 service I can see this becoming the go to fix for some areas.  

Beam 19 on ES17Beam 19 on ES17

To be honest this Gen 4/ Gen 5 stuff on J1 and J2 satellites is getting old to me. They are essentially the same when it comes to capability. Sure J2 got some upgrades but nothing that makes it leaps and bounds ahead of J1.

Only real difference is the HT2000W modem from what I see. My HT1100 is performing as good, if not better, than many on the newer satellite with the newer modem.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@BirdDog wrote:

To be honest this Gen 4/ Gen 5 stuff on J1 and J2 satellites is getting old to me. They are essentially the same when it comes to capability. Sure J2 got some upgrades but nothing that makes it leaps and bounds ahead of J1.

Same here.   I always add that as so many people mistakenly think that Gen5 on the J1 (or ES17) as compared to the J2 (or ES19) is like the difference between Gen4 on the Spaceway 3 as compared to the J1 (or ES17).  Though there was the colloquially named "faux Gen4" on the Spaceway 3 there is no "faux Gen5".  Gen5 is real Gen5 on both satellites.   

I keep meaning to send my stepfather a link to test his Gen4 speeds (it'd be easier than explaining how to get there and run it).  If their little dog wouldn't try to **bleep** every time I stepped in their house I would just walk across the street and do it myself.  LOL.  

I can't believe it bleeped that.  Substitute what it said with "BITE me" instead of the synonym for "injest me".  That it bleeped that out is hilarious!  

bare65
Advanced Tutor

@GabeUand here I thought your were saying..

If their little dog wouldn't try to **hump my leg** every time I stepped in their house I would just walk across the street and do it myself.  LOL

laughing-emoji.jpeg

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@bare65

That's practically what it looks like!   

It's hilarious.  I've never had anything bleeped in here, and my first time is for something completely innocent.  😛 

bare65
Advanced Tutor

@GabeU

Your perfect reputation here on the HughesNet support community has now been permanently tarnished.

SMH

Now go stand your **BLEEP** in the corner and think about what you have done.

Smiley TongueSmiley Wink

My house is under beam 54 and/or beam 55.. I was on beam 54.  I just moved it to beam 55.. My download speeds where at 16 mp.  Not bad but I was better on 54..  I am going to watch it for the next few days..

All of these issues with beams / satellites / up and down speeds / and all the other situations that arise with this type of service is much more complicated than my experience with broadband.  Sure I had the dish changed from beam 55 to 19, and speed tests show better speeds like this morning 1/13/18-  did 4 tests: 

Down:  4.88,  4.89,  4.88,  4.89 - and
Up:       1.15,  0.78,  1.90,  2.19.   

However something has me confused by these speeds and latency.  Last evening I was able to reliable sign on and play my WOW game and it was very slow.  I looked at the in-game speeds and saw a latency of over 4000!  Never had that before!  Usually it was in the 400 to 600 range.  Of course in these games, latency can kill the action.  At one time during the very bad slowdown of Hughes on 55, I tested the hops to someplace, don't recall - think it was a WOW related address.  It was maybe 30 hops and with HN being so slow the test timed out.  So maybe some slowness issues are also caused by the on-land network and not HN, although of course the culprit starts with HN.  And the responses today with my email client are also slow.  Seems I also have other issues to figure out. 

A lot of this stuff is beyond the normal user and I feel sad about their situation.  

@bugstomper wrote:

All of these issues with beams / satellites / up and down speeds / and all the other situations that arise with this type of service is much more complicated than my experience with broadband.  Sure I had the dish changed from beam 55 to 19, and speed tests show better speeds like this morning 1/13/18-  did 4 tests: 

Down:  4.88,  4.89,  4.88,  4.89 - and
Up:       1.15,  0.78,  1.90,  2.19.   

However something has me confused by these speeds and latency.  Last evening I was able to reliable sign on and play my WOW game and it was very slow.  I looked at the in-game speeds and saw a latency of over 4000!  Never had that before!  Usually it was in the 400 to 600 range.  Of course in these games, latency can kill the action.  At one time during the very bad slowdown of Hughes on 55, I tested the hops to someplace, don't recall - think it was a WOW related address.  It was maybe 30 hops and with HN being so slow the test timed out.  So maybe some slowness issues are also caused by the on-land network and not HN, although of course the culprit starts with HN.  And the responses today with my email client are also slow.  Seems I also have other issues to figure out. 

A lot of this stuff is beyond the normal user and I feel sad about their situation.  

Those speeds are better than the sub 1Mbps we had been getting but still much slower than what Gen 5 supposed to be.  Supposed to be up to 25Mbps and normally that means anything below 15Mbps could be signs of an issue.  Under 5Mbps is OK but quite slow compared to what folks signed up for.

Did they say expect the 5Mbps to get better or is this it... our fix will be considerably slower than the 25Mbps or 15Mbps where Hughes would like us to be at.

Did the techs say anything to you?

TJ

@bugstomper

Wow.  Not really impressive speeds.  That's like what people got on old Gen4.  I'm paying for gen5, why go to those speeds, EXCEPT, they beat 1mbps and lower.  But, for how long before even the 5mbps on beam 19 is over sold?

Not really impressed.  Come on Hughesnet---just BE BETTER!

I currently have Gen4 on Beam 19. I also have constant speed issues with moving files (even uploading short, 3 or 4 Mb videos), streaming video, etc. so I'm not confident that Gen5 on the same satellite would be any better. Just spent an hour on the phone with Hughesnet support, and at the end the very courteous tech said he'd exhausted all options (speed test, clear cashe & cookies, power cycle modem, etc.) and that his supervisor was telling him to move on to another caller. I asked what I my options were, and he strongly suggested I move to Gen5. This thread does nothing to suggest that would solve my problems, and since there are a fair number of similar threads that have not been remedied, it doesn't appear that Hughesnet is listening. If they are, perhaps they've oversold the available bandwidth so badly we'll never see the kinds of performance they show in their TV ads.

I feel like I've done everything I can to work with Hughesnet to resolve the problem, unless someone has something else to suggest. Oh, and a tech was out last month to realign the dish, and there was no improvement.

I did a install today on Beam19 E17. Speeds are between 22 and 26 down and 1 to 2 up..  That was right after install..  At my house Beam 55 is doing good.  Last night it went way down for about an hour and a half..  I'll keep monitoring that. And send it on up the chain..

Thanks for the update, gokart. Those speeds are only slightly faster than I'm already getting on my Gen4 setup on Beam 19 on E17. I get the feeling that speed test results don't correlate well with watching streaming video. When I started the service in December of 2016, I could stream Netflix TV episodes without interuption, and once in a while watch a short Facebook video without problems. In the last three or four months, I've been exploring the limits of my 50/50Gb data cap, but can't stand the constant buffering interruptions. What's the sense of having a big data cap if you can't use it? Might want to pass THAT up the line while you're at it. 😉

Something else I just found out..  We have a cabin up in the Sierras. I put two cloud based cameras there. I was always able to view them on beam 54.. Beam 55 I can't.  I sign off of Hughesnet and view them threw my cell service just fine.. My speeds are good on Beam 55. Something else is causing that issue.

I am in FAP right now but 5Mbps from @bugstomper looks nice right about now.  Wonder what FAP speeds are like with Beam 19?  I had been getting 1.2Mbps with Beam 55 before the demise of the system.  Now I get 100K to 200K range.  This AM I did a test and was at 292K.  Just ran again and at 219K.  

My whole reason to re-join Hughes (I left late Spring from years on Gen 4) and used ATT this summer, but FAP speeds of at least 1Mbps to 3Mbps spiked my interest.  I figured if it was at least around 1Mbps or slightly slower during peak, it would be awesome. 

If FAP speeds after after all the fixes Hughes is doing is 200K it will royaly stink.  At that point it became just a name change from Gen 4 to Gen 5 with no improvements.

Hope that is not the case in the end.

TJ

@bugstomper

Where is the gateway for beam 19 located?

If I remember correctly.. It is in Amarillo Texas..

@gokartergo24

Thanks for the info. 

As an installer, can you share your experience with the typical speeds people are experiencing on beam 19?  I know speeds vary, but, in your experience, what is the range of speeds you see?

EdV