cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speeds on Beam 55 northern california

Sophomore

Slow speeds on Beam 55 northern california

I seem to be having the same problem as many others, I'm in Northern California on beam 55 and have experienced very slow speeds, very hit and miss. I have made several calls to tech support, the most recent call on Tuesday when I was told that the engineering department is investigating the issue and was told I would receive a call by Friday Dec. 8th with a status update, which I did not receive. I sent an e-mail to tech support last night and received a response, stating that a supervisor would call me within 24 hours, which has also not happened.

Looking for help as to what else I might be able to do. I am hoping for some kind of bill credit, as the internet is sometimes so slow it becomes unusable.

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Slow speeds on Beam 55 northern california

Good morning BA_87,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting.

So we can begin addressing your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account and run 3 tests when you normally experience a slow down. Post your test results link here in your thread.

Please keep in mind that Hughesnet will only accept testmy.net and the official Hughesnet speed test results. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency that satellite deploys.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-use the 25MB size download test file ONLY if on Gen5 Service Plan

-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/C0RR0SIVE

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated. Looking forward to hearing back.

Please create a new thread in the community if you have a question or need help. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.
Freshman

Band 55 users have been doing your speed tests since, well... a very long time! why not tell the truth?? band 55 has a problem and we dont know how to fix it yet!  simple

Freshman

ps: they are going to try and make you think it's your system... i for one am getting tired of being ignored! no one ever called me back either and no one has responded to my many emails/ phone calls... i'd say $10/month until it's fixed. thats what I paid for dial up... and because im rural, i have no other choice. even verizon wont work so Im stuck... 

Distinguished Professor IV

@Hangtown

Unless you have something constructive to add, please don't interfere in the process started by a rep.  That will do nothing other than get you booted.  This is a support site, not your personal complaint site.  

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sophomore

Okay I ran a few tests with my laptop plugged directly into the router. I'm not sure if the link will work.

http://testmy.net/quickstats/bda2005

New Poster

Honestly I think it is constructive to state that we are being told one thing or given hope. When the truth is they really don't know. They oversold and can't fix the software as of yet. Numerous test at both testmy and myhughesnet wont change that. All the free data, discounts and the like wont fix it either. What appauls me is this is still being installed and sold in my area. Techs and installers are both aware of the issue. Fix the issue already.

Sophomore

The installer helped me switch from beam 19 to beam 55 over the phone, and he mentioned that this has been a major issue for the Sacramento/NorCal area. My signal strength improved, from the 40-55 range up to around 90-100, but the speed did not improve.

Hi BA_87,

Thank you for running the tests, the link worked! We'll take it from here and post back once we have any updates to share. 

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Please create a new thread in the community if you have a question or need help. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.
Sophomore

Thanks Liz, any updates would be much appreciated.

Also, is there a way to find out about getting a bill credit without having to call the 800 number?? It seems to be difficult to get through to the right person plus long wait times.