cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speeds on Beam 55 northern california

gokartergo24
Tutor

Re: Slow speeds on Beam 55 northern california

Something else I just found out..  We have a cabin up in the Sierras. I put two cloud based cameras there. I was always able to view them on beam 54.. Beam 55 I can't.  I sign off of Hughesnet and view them threw my cell service just fine.. My speeds are good on Beam 55. Something else is causing that issue.

macsociety
Advanced Tutor

I am in FAP right now but 5Mbps from @bugstomper looks nice right about now.  Wonder what FAP speeds are like with Beam 19?  I had been getting 1.2Mbps with Beam 55 before the demise of the system.  Now I get 100K to 200K range.  This AM I did a test and was at 292K.  Just ran again and at 219K.  

My whole reason to re-join Hughes (I left late Spring from years on Gen 4) and used ATT this summer, but FAP speeds of at least 1Mbps to 3Mbps spiked my interest.  I figured if it was at least around 1Mbps or slightly slower during peak, it would be awesome. 

If FAP speeds after after all the fixes Hughes is doing is 200K it will royaly stink.  At that point it became just a name change from Gen 4 to Gen 5 with no improvements.

Hope that is not the case in the end.

TJ

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

What I don't get is those who jumped ship from Gen 4 just for a few Mbps gain on Gen 5 , especially if it was doing fine on Gen 4.  My Gen 4 is working great actually. Anything above 5 Mbps works nice for me.

A case of "grass is greener" fo sure.

Though I should be thankful. My beam and gateway seems to be even faster since people switched to Gen 5.

https://testmy.net/quickstats/BirdDog2017

blacknwhite
Freshman

BirdDog sed: "What I don't get is those who jumped ship from Gen 4 just for a few Mbps gain on Gen 5 , especially if it was doing fine on Gen 4.  My Gen 4 is working great actually. Anything above 5 Mbps works nice for me.

A case of "grass is greener" fo sure."

When I called HughesNet tech support today to get help with a Gen4 speed issue, I was strongly advised to switch to Gen5 when nothing else he suggested worked. Maybe that explains it.

macsociety
Advanced Tutor

@BirdDog wrote:

What I don't get is those who jumped ship from Gen 4 just for a few Mbps gain on Gen 5 , especially if it was doing fine on Gen 4.  My Gen 4 is working great actually. Anything above 5 Mbps works nice for me.

A case of "grass is greener" fo sure.

Though I should be thankful. My beam and gateway seems to be even faster since people switched to Gen 5.

https://testmy.net/quickstats/BirdDog2017

Well initially I did it, or I should say came back to Hughes, for the supposed faster FAP speeds versus the older "Smart Browser".  

When I had Gen 4, and I hit FAP (then they did not have any options more than 30GB) my speeds were 128k for download.  Was so slow..... Smart Browsing was OK but really did not work for me.

1Mbps during FAP looked so awesome to me.  I figured I would come back on the 30GB per month plan and when I was on Gen 4, I was Mr 1GB per day user.  So I figured I would maybe have a few days of FAP at most but usable FAP.

But I came back to doing the same kind use before but instead of religious 1GB per day, it became 2 to 2.5GB per day doing the same type of browsing, periodic YouTube, and maybe 1 Netflix or 2 the whole month.  Seems data use counting changed from Gen 4 to Gen 5.

Anyway, the faster more usable speedes under FAP is what grabbed me back.  That did not pan out well for me.  ;-(

TJ

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Can't remember when I was in FAP, if ever. Always had enough token bytes to cover any overage.

Sure hope my HT1100 has a long life and never forced to the 2000W.

macsociety
Advanced Tutor

@BirdDog wrote:

Can't remember when I was in FAP, if ever.

I work from home.  Online all day... from 7AM to 5:30PM for work... then after that the wife and I are online in some way until we go to bed.... like at midnight.  Mostly all web browsing... I have 4 sites I have to access for work.  Websites that allow me access to warehouse, online ordering systems, etc... Not VNC stuff but still, have to get onto secure sites.  Use them all day.  Then the wife and I have extra curricular fun stuff.  Facebook, YouTube at 240p (about as low as one can go where it is not too bad), periodic Netflix at low SD rez.... So I don't do actual large downloads and such but always browsing... and even with adblockers.. it all adds up.

So I FAP out under Gen 5 with a 20GB plan in 10 days.  I have no plans to splurge to the 30GB or 50GB plans until Hughes works out this whole speed issue.  Once they do, I have no problem paying for the more data cap options but I will limp by until they get this all ironed out.  

TJ

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

The running log of HughesNet tests: https://testmy.net/host-history/hughes_network_syste