Slow speeds on Gen5. Help

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
22b99
Freshman

Slow speeds on Gen5. Help

Installed in Oct. and have never been able to come close to advertised speeds.  Can't stream a movie, look a You Tube, or even Face Time without buffering.  Attach is the speed test that were conducted.  Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

https://testmy.net/quickstats/22b99

8 REPLIES 8
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

You will need more than one  evening's worth of tests; the mods will probably want a bit more to be more representative of a trend, and the engineers may not even look at the tests if they don't have enough to show trends.   Maybe test today as well,and run test batches at different times of the day, not just the evening, which is also the time of most congestion/traffic, and when speeds may tank for everyone.  

Attached is the latest runs of tests.  Please review these and get me some help.

TIA

https://testmy.net/quickstats/22b99

Hello! 

Thank you for providing additional tests. Please see the private message we sent on 1/8 for next steps.

-Jay

After taking a look at your account, the system seems to be functioning normally and your speeds look great.

Here are the results of the speed tests done on our end

37 Mbps Down / 2 Mbps Up
35 Mbps Down / 2.5 Mbps Up
34 Mbps Down / 3.3 Mbps Up

The speeds seem to be pretty strong from your end as well. 

The tests you performed on the 7th and 8th are much lower because you had exceeded your data and were experiencing reduced speeds.

-Jay

Jay,

I agree with you and I didnt realize i was throttled on the 7th and 8th.  That was my fault.  The reason i missed the throttle is because there is no change on my devices.  Example: Last night we could not face time (Ipad) on wireless without buffering.  We in the same room with the HT200w less than 10 ft away.  Now that the speed to modem is proving to be in line. Could the modem be bad or faulty.  The modem has never given a wireless strength above medium even being next to the modem  I used several devices and they all do the same-medium signal strength beside the modem.  Not sure how to proceed but i dont get those speeds thru the modem wireless.  Any way to troubleshoot the modem down stream?  I know I can thru the LAN port at the same time use another device wireless.  Is there a procedure for something like this?

TIA

maratsade

Have you considered that your problem is not speed, but congestion (traffic) during peak times?  

I have tried with only one device to eliminate congestion as an issue and it has not helped with the issue.

TIA

GabeU

@22b99 wrote:

I have tried with only one device to eliminate congestion as an issue and it has not helped with the issue.

TIA

maratsade was referring to congestion on the HughesNet system, not your network.  Evening congestion is fairly common, as this is when the highest number of people are online, and any activities that are sensitive to that congestion and/or high latency, like VOIP type services, can have issues with working properly.

Regarding the WiFi strength, are you using the HughesNet mobile app to test it?  If you're only ever seeing a medium signal strength, even right next to the modem, it's possible that there's some kind of signal interference occurring.  The reps may be able to remotely look at the strength of your device connections.