cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speeds only in prime time hours

Honorary Alumnus

Re: Slow speeds only in prime time hours

My guess, and it is a guess, is that the gateways are being worked on, on the fly, as the new Gen5 service is added beam by beam.

Hughes never was one to post many if any reports of network conditions.

Usually we could pick up some info here in the Community but it has been strangely quiet of late.

Sophomore

Amanda, Liz, anyone????

Am I a Gen5 candidate?

Sophomore

Pretty stellar customer service huh? 

You certainly are, dhorwath! GIve us a call at 866.347.3292 to upgrade. 

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Sophomore

I called and they were only able to get me on Gen5 for a higher cost, and under a new contract that starts over for another 2 years.

The 50g plan becomes $99.99 a month plus $14.99 equipment lease for the first year, then $129.99 a month plus equipment for the 2nd year.

reference # 103225893

This is not acceptable, I am willing to pay the amount I originally contracted for with Gen 4.  If in order to get the speed I was promised means putting me on Gen 5 or if it means that engineers need to fix my current service, I do not feel that I need to pay any more out of pocket to get what was promised.

I feel like this is classic bait and switch, and that a lawyer would take up a lawsuite on something like this.

Associate Professor

Just gonna say this now, lawyer threats wont work, drop the b/s.

Either upgrade, or wait till Jupiter One has fewer people on it, there's nothing else you can do.  They can't just magically add bandwidth to Jupiter One at this point.  While there are beam expansions going on, they aren't doing much in terms of performance for everyone.

Honorary Alumnus

I wish to second what @C0RR0SIVE stated.

New satellite launches and all the associated network integration only happen once every few years.

The integration is done by Hughes Network Engineers at the very highest levels.

People at those levels are very few and you can rest assured they have been burning the midnight oil.

While I can understand your frustration  I can also tell you that if you decide in a fit of anger to go with Brand Ex, they will be launching ViaSat-2 in a few weeks and will be going through the very same process addressing the very same problems.

Satellite Internet is vastly more complex than ground based systems.

Wait it out, go with Brand Ex, waste your money on an legal shark or move to a spot with ground based connection.

Sophomore

ok I thought this was a forum where problems can be solved, maybe it's not.  I've heard plenty from those on this board that choose to post in defense of the Hughesnet company, and it's your perogative to post here.  However, I'm more interested in what the admins like Amanda and Liz have to say about my issue and with what can be done.  I don't know if you're having the same issue as I am, but for me, I am beyond frustrated to be locked into a 2 year commitment where the company has not held up their end of the bargain.  

Sophomore

@dhorwath,

Amen sir!

I would be willing to put money that several of the people "posting" on here are hughesnet employee's.  It sounds like you and I are in the same boat.  I work for a ISP but happen to live in the country where they are unavailable.  Isp's have issues.  Sometimes they are quick fixes and sometimes they are more complicated.  Satelight internet is bound to have more issues due to the technology.....I get it. I get all of it.

With that said the customer service and lack of attention I have gotten from hughesnet has been nothing short of horrific.  If I had a customer tell me my story and the things I have been told by different reps I would be so embarrassed.  Another 2 year contract to solve a issue that they created.  And more money to boot??? 

I am sorry you are not getting better help.  I have not either.  This community board is nothing more than a way to string customers out in hopes they can get another month out of them. 

I gave Hughesnet net every opportunity to do something, anything for me.  I have now logged complaints with the Fedral communciations commision and the Better business bureau.  

Good luck to you and your continued fight.

Associate Professor

rlucken,

If you have filed complaints with those agencies, you will recieve responses with in the time alloted by each agency.

As for "to solve a issue that they created", I would like to know how Hughesnet created this issue?  It is a known fact for any satellite provider to be profitable, they have, and MUST oversell the service and impose data caps to help stave off the impending congestion.  I am sorry you feel they created an issue and should bend over backwards and not make you sign a contract to help them pay off a new satellite system, but they aren't here as a non-profit.  They do have to make money, and they must recover costs.  The only way to do that is by one, having people commit for a minimum time period to a service, regardless of if they are past present, or a future customer.  Two, they must oversell the system.

Or would you have been happier to have been told, "sorry, but we can't provide you any service what so ever" when trying to find a new ISP, like VSAT does?

Just to be blunt, this will happen every time a system becomes overloaded and a new system is brought online to help alleviate the issue.  Happened going from HN7000 to SpacewayIII, and happened going from SpacewayIII to Jupiter One, and it's happening again going from Jupiter One to Jupiter II.  

As far as the whole, "I would be willing to put money that several of the people "posting" on here are hughesnet employee's" statement...  The only direct employees here are Moderators and Administrators.  There are a few independent installers such as @gokartergo24 and El Dorado Network that post here, but aside from that, the rest of us are typical customers.