Slow speeds with Select 400 plan

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dbnf
Freshman

Slow speeds with Select 400 plan

I need guaranteed 10 mbps download & 2 mbps upload and I had Hughesnet residential for 15 years (prior service was Direcway) and even with the top of the line residential plan I was not achieving those speeds. So last week I upgraded to the business plan and was told by Josh, CSR that those speeds are guaranteed with this plan. I need these speeds to work at home, my employer is waiting for me to have the required speed so they can set me up to telecommute. On Friday the tech came out & installed my new dish & modem under the new plan. I did a speed test & did not get the promised speeds & the tech said her installation is good, call customer service,I have a case #57189593, a tech is supposed to call. So I was promised speeds I am not getting. I am not happy about this at all. Can somebody please help?

My recent speed test was  Download :: 367 Kbps 46 kB/s  up arrow Upload :: 123 Kbps 15 kB/s

11 REPLIES 11
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

I need guaranteed 10 mbps download & 2 mbps upload and I had Hughesnet residential for 15 years (prior service was Direcway) and even with the top of the line residential plan I was not achieving those speeds. So last week I upgraded to the business plan and was told by Josh, CSR that those speeds are guaranteed with this plan.
Well, Josh shouldn't have made that guarantee:

From the HughesNet Business website at https://business.hughesnet.com/get-started
*When you connect to the Internet using HughesNet, the upload and download speeds you experience will vary based on a variety of factors including the configuration of your computer; the number of concurrent users; network or Internet congestion; the speed of the Websites you are accessing; and other factors. Stated speeds and uninterrupted use of service are not guaranteed. During peak hours, actual upload and download speeds will likely be lower than speeds indicated." 
That said, your speeds should be higher than that. Bypass your router with one computer and retest. Lots of info here on testing methodology but try http://testmy.net as one of the cleanest test sites out there.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
dbnf
Freshman

Here are the most recent results:

http://testmy.net/quickstats/SueK

Thank you for any assistance you can provide. I have been testing since Friday when the tech left there is no difference if I plug directly into the computer or the router.

It was not only Josh the CSR but also Tara the CSR whom I spoke with the day before told me those speeds were guaranteed. I really hope the supervisors can pull the call records because this is serious that the CSRs are misleading customers.  That's the reason I upgraded/switched from top-of-the-line residential (which also had slower speeds than promised) to business. Meanwhile both my employer and I really want me to start working from home! What can I do to make this happen (10 mbps down 2 mbps up)?
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Do you have case numbers from both those calls?  Hughesnet doesn't PROMISE any speeds, they only advertise speeds as UPTO...  Getting a guaranteed minimum of 10Mbps just isn't going to happen, regardless of service plan.
dbnf
Freshman

Both Tara & Josh told 10 mbps down and 2 mbps up were guaranteed with the Select 400 plan for business after I told them what my employers requirements were. I asked several times is this guaranteed & was told yes. This is the ONLY reason I switched from my residential plan to the business plan. I really hope the supervisor can pull my call records. I should have recorded my calls!  
dbnf
Freshman

We have been loyal HughesNet customers for at least 15 years or at least since it was HughesNet, before that we had Direcway which became HughesNet.
curtis-m
Sophomore

The speeds are "up to" 10Mbps or whatever the plan says. My guess is that on review of the sales call, no one actually guaranteed constant speeds of 10Mbps download but rather guaranteed speeds "up to" 10Mbps.

Your speed test results show download speeds well over 10Mbps and that is why they always recommend testmynet. See if you can verify those speeds on other speed test sites.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Other speed test websites tend to either use Java or Flash, neither is acceptable for testing a satellite connection.  The only reason that Testmy.net is accepted is because it doesn't require the use of Flash nor Java.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Once again Curtis I would remind you that many of the speed test sites are not set up to accommodate the high latency in inherent to satellite connection and the fact that your terminal is behind a CGN web acceleration server.

You simply are not accepting the fact that a satellite connection is much more complex than terrestrial based services.

You also have factor in the "generational differences" between the (current) three Hughes systems. HN7000s, HN9000 Legacy/Monthly and HT1100.

Each of those systems are going to have a expected performance level.

curtis-m
Sophomore

If you can't verify data, then it is not usable. Hughes Net has their own speed test page. This should be optimized for HughesNet so dbnf might try that.

dbnf, my apologies. I am not trying to hijack your thread and hope you get this issue resolved to your satisfaction.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

"If you can't verify data, then it is not usable"

A speed test is a comparative measuring tool ... a yardstick if you will.

When measuring the same subset, it doesn't matter if that yardstick is 30" long or 42" inches long, as long as all subjects in the subset are measured with the same yardstick.

You cannot use the same measuring tool that you use for low latency non burst transmission, non-proxie connections.

This simply isn't Cable, FIOS, DSL or even a WISP.

Amanda

Hi dbnf

Welcome to our community and thank you for your post. I am very sorry you are having such a poor experience and would like to amend this with you. We have located your account and will be doing a review of your sales call. As soon as it is done I will provide you with my own analysis of it. I appreciate your patience.

Thank you,
Amanda