cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speeds with data allowance still remaining

Xintho
New Poster

Slow speeds with data allowance still remaining

This has been an issue for two months now. Phone support was unable to provide any assistance last billing reset other than trying to sell me services to optimize my router through another help desk company. Even though phone support helped me just a few months before that just fine, other than the hour long phone call. This issue also remains after FAP takes effect. I typically won't see any speeds above 80KBps or 120KBps at that time even though I was easily getting 350KBps at the same hour of the day in the middle of 2020 when peak usage was happening. Data allowance remaining. ~6' LAN cable connected. SSID disabled for both 2.4 and 5, normal and guest. No other LAN cables connected. Windows 10 64bit up to date. More tests will be run when able. https://testmy.net/quickstats/Xintho Let me know if it's easier to assist me when I just select a single server to test. Figured multiple would prove it's not a routing issue.
12 REPLIES 12
Xintho
New Poster

Re: Slow speeds with data allowance still remaining

To specify, no other downloads or connections are running. Nothing more than background exchanges for software show up in NetLimiter or the Windows Task Manager. Same slow speeds on other devices when they are connected.
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

@Xintho , You only have 3 tests, all taken today.  You may want to provide more data, such as batches of 3 tests taken at different times of the day (for example, morning, early afternoon, prime time, bonus zone), to demonstrate trends. 

Xintho
New Poster

"More tests will be run when able." I plan to, just never had a account in the past to save my tests.
maratsade

Sounds good, Xintho.  

@Xintho wrote:
"More tests will be run when able." I plan to, just never had a account in the past to save my tests.

Xintho
New Poster

More tests have been uploaded as promised. https://testmy.net/quickstats/Xintho Between tests download speed on Steam, Twitch, Youtube, Twitter never even reached 3Mbps. Mostly ~150kBps with some spikes to ~300kBps. This is with data allowance remaining. Though the speeds are pretty much the same without data allowance as well. Rarely am I above 120kBps / .96kbps during the day.
maratsade

All the speeds you've shown are higher than what you say. The slowest measured speed is 976 kbps. 

Xintho
New Poster

"The slowest measured speed is 976 kbps." Which is 122kB/s. Which is what my usual download speed is capable of, even though it should be 1MB/s or even ~375kB/s when data capped. Basically, I've not reached even one half of what my throttled speed should be.
maratsade

Throttled speeds are 1-3 Mbps. Your average speed, according to your tests, is 6.51 Mbps.  All the speeds on the list, except for one, are higher than throttled speeds. 

Xintho
New Poster

The speed results of my tests are still low for a FAP status, let alone a fresh billing cycle as I currently have. And despite those test results my actual functional speed throughout most of the day is still less than 1 mb/s. I kinda have this service for more than just speed tests and it was fully capable of 350 mB/s (3 mb/s) last year. But now I'm never seeing these speeds. Not at 8 am. Not at noon. Not at 6. Not at 10. I ended up finally seeing a status code for DNS and Web acceleration issues. Reset the MBX and rebooted but still not seeing any improvement. I find it hard to believe that there is more network traffic today than there was 9 months ago when a lot more of the economy was shut down. Especially so with many Hughesnet subscribers getting set up with Starlink or T-mobile or Verizon's new ISP options.