Slow to No speeds for this brand new customer

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lorrie
Sophomore

Slow to No speeds for this brand new customer

We just signed up yesterday...biggest mistake of my life.  We have slow to no speeds. No continuity.  Customer service is HORRENDOUS!!!!  And don't know what else to do.  Any suggestions?

38 REPLIES 38
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@lorrie wrote:

From their own website...

How fast is HughesNet Gen5?
HughesNet Gen5 is faster than ever – 25 Mbps download and 3Mbps Upload – and is available to anyone, anywhere, coast-to-coast.

False advertising at it's finest.....who are these "anyones" who are actually getting what was promised?

Firstly, all HughesNet advertisements carry the caveat of the speeds being "Up to". 

Secondly, do you get that you're experiencing an issue?  Do you get that sometimes issues happen?  Do you get that no service is 100% perfect all the time?  Do you get that an issue is not the same as what you're purporting in this reply?  By the token you're suggesting in this reply, if my Jeep were to have transmission troubles I could then call Jeep and tell them that their TV advertisements were false because I can't currently drive my Jeep up a mountain road like they show.  SMH.  

And who's getting what was "promised"?  Myself, and many others. 

https://testmy.net/quickstats/Gabe1972

Thank you @GabeU .  Nowhere does it say "up to"...and I was very clear with the sales rep when I called that I needed stability at speeds of at least 20mbps.  He assured me we'd get that.   

Look, I don't want to argue with you.  You seem very helpful and knowledgeable.  But I do feel like we've been sold a bill of goods, and the tech support hasn't been very encouraging.  I guess my biggest fear is that this is the best that it will ever be, which is simply 1) not good enough and 2) not what was sold to me.  Hopefully you can understand my frustration. Do I get that sometimes issues happen?  Sure... "sometimes"....but for over 24 hours nobody has been able to solve the issues, nor given me any hope that they will be solved.  I feel hoodwinked.  That's not a good feeling.

I appreciate you sharing you two speed tests when it is after midnight and likely less folks are on the web.  Did you take a look at ours from today?  Do you not agree that that is unacceptable?  You can shake your head all you want, but I'm doing the same.  Buyers remorse has overtaken me.

GabeU

@lorrie wrote: 

I appreciate you sharing you two speed tests when it is after midnight and likely less folks are on the web.  Did you take a look at ours from today?  Do you not agree that that is unacceptable?  You can shake your head all you want, but I'm doing the same.  Buyers remorse has overtaken me.

I don't know what two speed tests you're referring to.  My 1486 speed tests thus far range all times of the day, not just after midnight.  And yes, I saw your speed test results.  And, for some reason, which I really don't understand, you seem to be fully convinced that your speeds are the norm for HughesNet rather than an issue to be dealt with and fixed.  Because of that, what's the point in me even trying to help you further, or tying to convince you of anything else?  You're set in that belief, so nothing I can do, or say, is going to help you in any way, and it's a complete waste of my time to even try.  I'm simply not at all helpful to you, and I don't see how I can be.

So, again, good luck to you.  I really hope that you're not so set in that belief that you won't bother to let anyone else, including the reps, help you with your speed issue.

@lorrie wrote:

False advertising at it's finest.....who are these "anyones" who are actually getting what was promised?

I agree that there's a lot of deceptive marketing in the satellite internet world, as well everywhere else, and judging from the posts I see here, speed seems to be one of the biggest issues with which people have trouble.  That said, I consistantly get speeds from 27 to almost 30.  I was going to run a test and post a screen shot, until I remembered that it's not the bonus period yet, and that would use my precious anytime data.  Another thing to adapt to with satellite internet.

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers."
William Shakespeare

GabeU

@gaines_wright wrote:
I was going to run a test and post a screen shot, until I remembered that it's not the bonus period yet, and that would use my precious anytime data.  Another thing to adapt to with satellite internet.

Aw, come on, it's only 25MB.  Live dangerously!  😛  

@GabeU wrote:

Aw, come on, it's only 25MB.  Live dangerously!  😛  

I was, until I looked at my usage for the day:  625mb.  I foolishly downloaded a bunch of books to my Kindle during the anytime data period today, and  I am still trying to remain a 10 gig wonder.  :>)>

You guys are cute.... 🙂 

So @GabeU , you honestly think that we are just having a "issue" that can be solved, and that the speeds we are experiencing are an anomaly?  If you say yes, I'll go with that for now.  I would like to ask you who you think would be best to solve the "issue" though, since tech support hasn't...which is really where my biggest concern is coming from.  Thanks again for all of your posts and info.  You may think I don't think you are helpful...but I read tons of things that you wrote for others last night and it is evident that you have a lot of knowlege on this stuff and are very helpful.  So, don't give up on me 🙂

Hi lorrie,

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting and providing your TestMyNet URL, that helps. Please check your private messages (PM) in the top right corner of the community page I'll send you a PM to further address your concerns.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

maratsade

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers."

William Shakespeare

Bring in on, mate. 

maratsade

It pays to read the website and the contract before subscribing.

**The HughesNet Gen5 service plans are designed to deliver download speeds of 25 Mbps and upload speeds of 3 Mbps, but individual customers may experience different speeds at different times of the day. Speeds and uninterrupted use are not guaranteed and may vary based on a variety of factors including: the configuration of your computer, the number of concurrent users, network or Internet congestion, the capabilities and content of the websites you are accessing, network management practices as deemed necessary, and other factors. When you connect to the HughesNet service using Wi-Fi, your experience will vary based on your proximity to the Wi-Fi source and the strength of the signal.

Source: https://www.hughesnet.com/about/hughesnet-gen5

1.1 SPEED CLAIMS AND DISCLAIMERS.

HughesNet service is available in the contiguous U.S., Alaska and Puerto Rico. Stated speeds and uninterrupted use of service are not guaranteed. Actual speeds will likely be lower than the maximum speeds during peak hours. In addition, when connected to the Service using Wi-Fi, the user’s experience will vary based on the proximity to the Wi-Fi source and the strength of the signal, and its usage is subject to the Fair Access Policy.

The listed speeds are only available in the footprint of the EchoStar XVII and EchoStar XIX Satellites. The HughesNet Gen5 Service with speeds of up to 25 mbps down and 3 mbps up is available within the contiguous United States. Speeds in parts of Alaska will be slower.

http://legal.hughes.com/SubAgree-03-16-17.cfm

And conversely, I get speeds of up to 50Mbps when updating apps, and other heavy-duty file downloads during the bonus period before 8am. So consider the 25Mbps to be a guaranteed average that is applicable to different systems/users, not a fixed limit. For all intents and purposes it's a meaningless number that ad companies use as a gimmick.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Thanks @MarkJFine .  I'm trying to find instructions to set Netflix to download movies, etc. during the bonus period, but haven't had any success.  Do you know how to do that?  

Also....the gimmick thing is not good.  I was very clear with the sales rep about my needs due to the fact that I work from home 30-40% of the time and need a strong, stable signal to access my company's accounting software in the cloud.  

maratsade

I don't think there is a way to set up Netflix to download during the bonus period.  You'd have to get up during the bonus period to do it.  

I personally use PlayOn Cloud and have been very happy with it.  That service allows you to schedule downloads, so you can have things download during the bonus period. 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@maratsade wrote:

I don't think there is a way to set up Netflix to download during the bonus period.  You'd have to get up during the bonus period to do it.  

I personally use PlayOn Cloud and have been very happy with it.  That service allows you to schedule downloads, so you can have things download during the bonus period. 

Yep, you beat me to it. Only thing I've found that works is PlayOn Cloud. Will cost 20 cents per recording minimum. Here is where we've discussed it: https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/General-Discussion/PlayOn-Cloud/td-p/107801

maratsade

PlayOn Cloud works exceptionally well.  I've downloaded several series to watch offline without any buffering or worries.  I'm very glad someone mentioned it over on the other community. 

I've even bought credit packs,  since I've been downloading some series in their entirety -- recently they had a good deal for Valentine's Day, with credits (non-expiring ones) worth 10 cents each.  Another bonus is that membership is not required.   

@maratsade wrote:

If you start downloading using the Netflix app in windows, then disconnect from WiFi, Netflix will pause the download. If you then reconnect to WiFi, the Netflix app will resume the download.

So all you need to do automate turning off on WiFi using Windows Scheduler and a batch file.  You will have to search for details, as I think pasting any link here causes the reply to get dropped.

Before sleeping, run the Netflix app in the evening, and select the shows to download, then switch back to the downloads screen, and disconnect your computer from Wi-Fi. You will see the download pause, but do nothing and just leave it sit.  

Later at 2:30am, the windows scheduler runs the job and the Wi-Fi reconnects and the download resumes.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@MrBuster wrote:

@maratsade wrote:

If you start downloading using the Netflix app in windows, then disconnect from WiFi, Netflix will pause the download. If you then reconnect to WiFi, the Netflix app will resume the download.

So all you need to do automate turning off on WiFi using Windows Scheduler and a batch file.  You will have to search for details, as I think pasting any link here causes the reply to get dropped.

Before sleeping, run the Netflix app in the evening, and select the shows to download, then switch back to the downloads screen, and disconnect your computer from Wi-Fi. You will see the download pause, but do nothing and just leave it sit.  

Later at 2:30am, the windows scheduler runs the job and the Wi-Fi reconnects and the download resumes.

Good info and interesting. Problem is the app requires a MS Account be signed into on the PC. I refuse to use one on my computers. Just me but means a no go for trying this.

I also know many people who have no idea how to use task scheduler and get it working correctly. Hopefully this will help those who are bit more "in the know" schedule Netflix downloads and have MS Account set up on their computer. Again, good info!

I pay DirecTV a ton of money (and it just went up again), and don't have a Netflix nor Hulu account. Really can't really help you there as I don't stream anything. If I have to do on-demand (which is very rare) I tether my phone that nominally gets two bars to my laptop (if I aim it right from an upstairs room) and hope for the best.

I can guarantee you that speed isn't the issue with the work thing, latency is, especially if it's VPN or any kind of secure connection. I do a tremendous amount of secure FTP to two web servers for updating htaccess files, maintaining other security files, and posting a weekly podcast. Speed's hardly been an issue for those, but extreme latency has caused some stalling in the past.

Edit: I really should run the built-in spell checker more often (and now wish there was a grammar checker too)

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.