cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow to no connection problems

Re: Slow to no connection problems

Gwalk900 - question for you about HN9000 modem/router.  To avoid issues I disabled DHCP on my router and just let the modem handle the DHCP requests.  I am just using the router as a switch and access point.  Is this the best way to set things up?
Honorary Alumnus

William,
You really should re-enble DHCP in your router.

I am not the 9000 expert but some things are not system dependent.

There are and have been some, what appears to be "systemic" issues in the Spaceway3 systems ..... perhaps "optimization" is still ongoing.

Do you have the same issues when connected directly to the modem ?

In the modems SCC, is its available RAM being crowded ?

Gwalk I configured my system this way about 5 years ago after reading on some forum (can't remember which one) that you should configure this way to avoid "double NAT" (I took to mean having both the router and modem doing NAT?) and typically have no issues with it.  Had the same speed issues that I just recently (last few months) had about two years ago and they finally reconfigured gateways back then and my speed issues disappeared.  When these issues occur connecting directly to the modem makes absolutely no difference.  I've never looked at available RAM on the 9000 system control center before but just attempted to locate that information in SCC and could not. Can you advise where to find that info in SCC?
Honorary Alumnus

William,

On second thought I don't think there is a RAM display in the 9000 as there is in the HT1000/1100 modems. An occasional hard reset will empty out any "dust bunnies".

As to the double NAT, it really isn't a problem. after all you are already behind a Hughes proxy web acceleration server. Besides ... having your devices on the LAN side of your routers firewall is comfortable place to be.