Slow update speed with new modem HT1100

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kurtrust
New Poster

Slow update speed with new modem HT1100

Recently upgraded to HT1100 modem. I'm happy to report download speeds are significantly better and more consistent - in the 15mbps range vs. very low single digit speeds with HT1000. Unfortunately upload speeds are significantly worse with the HT1100. Often times below 100 kbps. I've measured using HughesNet and Testmy.net and over a couple weeks. I'm on the Ultra plan paying for upload speeds up to 2 mbps. I don't expect 2 mbps all the time, but I do expect better performance than what I'm getting. For what it's worth, my satellite receive signal is 108. Is that acceptable? Please advise on potential solution
21 REPLIES 21
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Can you post your results URL from testmy.net so the upload tests can be looked at?  Just make sure you are signed in to testmy.net, click on the "Results" tab towards the top, and copy and paste the URL.  It will look like the following, but with your testmy.net account name...

testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

Your signal strength is good.

Liz

Hi kurtrust,

Welcome and thanks for posting. As Gabe mentioned, we could use your testmy.net results url so we can track all your speed tests. 

I don't mind escalating your case up to our engineers, but we will need some tests to focus on your upload speeds.

Some things to note:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem-use the 2 MB test file in testing upload speeds

-space each test at least 5 minutes apart

-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/[yourusername]

Looking forward to hearing back.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

kurtrust
New Poster

Liz and Gabe,

Here are my speed tests from testmy.net http://testmy.net/quickstats/kurtrust

Appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Kurt

GabeU

kurtrust,

I'm sure Liz will take a look at this and decide what to do next.  She'll be back on tomorrow morning.

The speeds aren't abysmal, but they definitely seem low to me.  I just checked mine and it was 625Kbps, which is about what I'd expect from this time of night.  Mine fluctuates, dependent on the time of day, but the speeds you are getting surely seem low.  I'm just a customer, though, like you.  Hopefully Liz will be able to help you.

On a side note, I see that your download speed looks great.  In the future, when you are asked to do download tests or you just want to do them for yourself, make sure to use the manual 12MB size test.  This is the size that Hughesnet requests you use for download tests, and it also doesn't waste data that you don't need to use.  BUT, if you find that the 12MB test often doesn't last long enough (if the test doesn't last for seven seconds it will automatically resize to something larger), try the 15MB size.  I often use the 15MB size for two reasons.  The first is that most of the time the 12MB test doesn't last long enough for me and I don't want to waste data by having it automatically resize to a test in the 30MB or 40MB range, and the second is that the 15MB doesn't automatically resize, no matter what.  Still, try the 12MB size and only switch to the 15MB size if, on a regular basis, it doesn't last long enough.  With that said, I still use the 12MB size in the mornings and evenings due to slower speeds from so many people being online, as it easily lasts the seven seconds and doesn't resize.

Good luck.     

Liz

Good morning Kurt! 

This is perfect, thank you for the speed tests! I'll compile a report for you and send it up to our engineers for their assistance. I'll post back once I have any news or instructions to share.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

kurtrust
New Poster

Liz, Thank you. The improved download speed with HT1100 modem gives me renewed hope in HughesNet service. I look forward to hopefully improved upload speeds also.

Gabe, thanks for your comments. Although I'm not sure what the definition is of abysmal, I would say my upload speeds at 15% of the 2mbps that I am paying for probably fit. As I stated above, I have new hope given the improved download speeds with the HT1100. I never thought I would see anything close to 15mbps. Now 15 is a regular result. Hopefully it will continue.

GabeU

kurtrust,

For me, abysmal would be something below 100Kbps, but that's just me, and I'm only referring to the recent tests, not what you saw before.  The highest upload speed I've ever gotten was a single test that reached 1.8Mbps. My average is 1.1Mbps.  I'd put your speeds in the bad range, one step above abysmal, two steps above #@*&*%$#%&*!!!, and three steps above...well....I don't have the keys on my keyboard to describe it, and it would probably be erased by a mod, anyway.  LOL. 

With that said, for the time being and until it's addressed by the engineers, just try to take comfort in the fact that unless you do a lot of uploading of hefty files, the low upload speed isn't going to have a lot of impact on you.  I know it's annoying for it to be this low, but they're looking at it to see what can be done.  It's a start.

With regard to the download speed, I'm with you there.  I've been with Hughesnet since 2004, and after Gen4 came out I was hesitant to upgrade because with my old legacy Pro Plan I was getting speeds of about 1.6MB, which for that plan in early 2016 is phenomenal.  Even the techs that came to do the upgrade were shocked that I was getting that kind of speed from an HN7000S.  I was afraid to not leave well enough alone.

When I finally decided to upgrade, after having asked some questions in hereabout Gen4, I decided that if I received 60% of my "up to 10Mbps" plan speed I would be happy.  After they did the upgrade and I waited for about a half hour like the techs instructed me to, I went online and did a download test at testmy.net.  When I got a speed in the low 20s, I wasn't excited as I figured something was wrong with the test.  After a few more, then going to a couple of other test sites to try it, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the results were correct.  To this day I'm still a little stymied.  Now, of course, if my speeds were to start to drop and settle around 10Mbps, I'd be disappointed because they spoiled me!  LOL.

Some people get speeds this high and some people get speeds even a little higher.  Others get like what you're getting, and yet others more akin to the "up to" speeds of their plan.  Others, unfortunately, get slower speeds due to being on the old satellite, but the new satellite will help them by expanding the footprint of the true Gen4 capabilities.  The old satellite they are presently on is much more limited than the new one or the one we are on. 

I hope that the engineers can figure out your slow upload speed issue and raise it for you.   

Liz

Good morning Kurt,

I haven't heard anything back yet from engineering about your case, so I poked them this morning for an update. While we continue to work on this, I've credited your account for a month of service.

Thank you again for your patience and understanding.

Thanks,
Liz

Liz

Good morning Kurt,

The engineers have indicated that to improve upload speeds, they'll have to make some network adjustments to do so. They have no estimated time yet on when this will happen. Once I get any updates on a date, I'll let you know.

Thank you,
Liz

kurtrust
New Poster

Liz,

Thanks for keeping up with my situation and the credit. I appreciate your efforts. Sorry about my slow response as I was traveling. Please let me know when you know more.

Thanks,

Kurt

Liz

Good morning Kurt,

No worries, I've been traveling last week as well. I see from engineering that work has been completed on your beam to address performance. When you get a chance, please let me know if you can tell that your upload speeds have improved.

Thanks,
Liz

kurtrust
New Poster

Hi Liz,

Just checked my upload speeds. They are improved but not great relative to 2mbps service I'm paying for. Two of five were over 1mbps, other three were below with one at 552kbps. See attached results.

http://testmy.net/quickstats/kurtrust

Your thoughts.

Thanks,

Kurt

Liz

Good morning Kurt,

Thanks for the update, I've passed this to our engineers for their feedback.

-Liz

Liz

Good morning Kurt,

Thank you again for your patience with us. We have decided as a courtesy to dispatch a technician to do a complete review of your site due to the concerns you've been encountering. Your dispatch is currently scheduled for Wednesday, Aug 24,
2016 between 8:00 AM-11:00 AM. Call us at 866.347.3292 and reference case #55634313 if you need to reschedule.

Please let me know how the site visit goes. 

Thanks, 
Liz

kurtrust
New Poster

Hi Liz,

The tech was here and completed his review. Unfortunately I was out of town. My wife was here and said he might of changed a part on the dish but she's not really sure. My wife believes the tech said that what ever he did improved the service. However the latest upload speed test say otherwise. The results range from 570-899 kbps. Here is link to my results. http://testmy.net/quickstats/kurtrust Did you get a report from the tech?

Your thoughts.

Thanks,

Kurt

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Do you upload a lot? Only reason I ask is I'm more concerned with download speed, as the majority of customers are.  Even when upload is fairly low my download is pretty fast.

Is slow upload causing a problem for you?

Personally could care less about upload speed when I'm getting 20-30 Mbps download speeds. Much higher than my plan "up to" speed. I personally will accept the trade off between upload and download speed.

Upload test:

My "up to" upload speed is 2 Mbps, could care less really as long as download isn't degraded due to extreme low upload speed.

In the end it is all "up to".
kurtrust
New Poster

Hi BirdDog,

I agree, but I started this journey when I upgraded to HT1100 and my upload speed actually got worse. My service is for 2mbps and just want to see it through to some rational conclusion. The HT1100 significantly improved my download speed so generally I am a happy camper.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Thanks for the honesty. For me the trade off is fine, lower upload, higher download. I'm not going to complain myself unless severely slow upload affects my download, which can happen.

Suppose you could ask them to lock you down to 15 Mbps download and increase your upload speed. Would take an individual setting in your modem and account. Good luck, and even if approved will take forever to be applied.

Right now I think they throttle upload in favor of download. As most customers will approve.
Liz

Good morning Kurt,

Thanks for the update. BirdDog is correct, download traffic is generally what is used the most so we work to provide what we can there. We don't throttle uploads, per se, it's just a matter of what the modem can handle, and as BirdDog mentioned, the plans provide up to 2 Mbps in upload speeds. 

If you're happy with your overall service, then we're happy. 🙂

-Liz

kurtrust
New Poster

Thanks Liz. I absolutely prefer the best download speed and am very pleased with that since the upgrade to HT1100 modem. Let's call it a day. Thanks for all your help with my service.