Slow upload and download

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kuvo
Freshman

Slow upload and download

Alright so I've been having this issue the majority of my year with hughesnet. I recently had a technition come re position my satalite that didn't solve the issue. As soon as I'm over my data limit of 20gb my speeds come to a screeching halt. A test I just ran from my PlayStation, which is what I am downloading with and my download is 795kbps my upload Is 306kbps. My upload speed is 300kbps all month regardless of weather I've surpassed my data limit. At this point I've been on the phone countless hours, had a visit from a tech, and my internet is still practically unusable. With updates taking 99 hours plus.
11 REPLIES 11
kuvo
Freshman

I'm trying to run speed tests to post but I can't even get the test to run now
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

"As soon as I'm over my data limit of 20gb my speeds come to a screeching halt"

Yes, it's called Fair Access Policy.   May want to stay within your data limits.

20gb of data if about an hours use on home internet. Unless.. wait... are you in 2002 still?

Like seriously what is the point of no hard data limits when is soon as you go over your limit you can't even load a basic webpage on a data saving browser. I completely understand how it works but I also see the speeds that I get before my data is up absolutely no call for testing my internet at 500 kilobytes per second and paying $90 for it. But seeing it is literally the only option here
GabeU

@kuvo

You may also want to read the following thread about data management....  https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/HughesNet-Data-Management-Tips-n-Tricks-How-To-Elimi...

In addition, gaming consoles can chew through a lot of data while performing updates.  

I do appreciate you taking your time to try to help but there's just no excuses gor how hughes net does business. It's not really my job to trouble shoot a service I pay way to much for. Let alone is have to wait another entire month to even jump through hoops to send speed test results. My data is literally gone in the morning when I wake up the dayIt switches. So that means all my data is used from 12-2 in the morning before the bonus data can even switch on at 2. If my speeds during regular data operation is so fast that 20 gigs downloads in 2 hours there's is no escuse to throttle me under 1mbps. The scumbags promised before we finalized our order a year ago speeds would NEVER drop below 1mbps. What bs
maratsade

"It's not really my job to trouble shoot a service I pay way to much for. "

Yes, it actually is.  The same exact process is required by other ISPs.  The troubleshooting is the first step, annoying as it may be.  You could insist on a tech being sent over, but you'd have to pay for the tech out of pocket.  All ISPs have customers do a lot of troubleshooting before dispatching someone to check the system. 

GabeU

@kuvo wrote:
It's not really my job to trouble shoot a service I pay way to much for. 

Speed issues can be caused by a multitude of things, and not all of them have to do with the service itself.  It is neither economically feasible, nor physically possible, for HughesNet to send a tech out each time someone is having a speed issue.  Running speed tests is a fairly simple thing to do, and it gives the reps/engineers a lot of info to work with.

@kuvo wrote:
My data is literally gone in the morning when I wake up the dayIt switches. So that means all my data is used from 12-2 in the morning before the bonus data can even switch on at 2. 

If this is true, then this in and of itself could be causing speed issues.  If you've got something that data hungry it could be utilizing half, or more, of your available bandwidth, even when you are in FAP.  Something is chewing through your data, and you've got to figure out what it is.  And yes, it is your job to figure out what is chewing through your data.  HughesNet is not your personal IP department.  Your device(s) chewing through your data is a kuvo problem, not a HughesNet problem.  Again, HughesNet sells you data.  How you use that data, and how fast you use it, is up to you.  With this said, there are people here, like myself, who will try to help you figure out what is using the data so quickly.  

What do you have connected to your HughesNet service?  You can see what is presently connected, and what was connected since you last plugged your modem in, on this page...  http://192.168.0.1/limited.html#!/general/conn_dev_info

Again, something is chewing through your data, and you've got to figure out what that is.    

GabeU

@kuvo

Your upload speed when you still have data shouldn't really be that low.  In order for the reps to help you they'll need some speed tests to be run, but you can't really run them while you are on FAP (out of data).  When you do have data available again, make sure to run some of these tests, and make sure to run them the way they are laid out in the instructions.  And, because it's your upload speed that is the one of concern, it's your upload speed that should the the one that is tested the majority of the time.  You should also run a few download speed tests to see if there is anything wrong with your download speed, as well.  

The speed testing instructions are as follows, but again, you should NOT run them until you have data available....

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account (if you do not already have one) and, while signed into that account, perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share the account results link with us here.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi while the speed tests are being performed
-use the manual 25MB size download test file 

-If testing upload instead of download, please use the manual 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

If you are unaware of how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see "How do I manage my built in WiFi modem?" in this PDF.  Make sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking SSID Enable for each radio individually, as unchecking all four, then clicking "Save Settings", will not hold the settings.  

Man it's crazy I'm expected to do all that again.. I've done this on the phone like 5 times. Also once my data runs up is when the issues arrise. I guess I'm just stuck in this monopoly of a horrible service if i want want internet access at all. I guess I'll just suck it up full well knowing Hughes net is ripping me off charging me 90 dollars a month for a 700kbps connection. And literally no one has to answer for it. Hurry tf up starlink
GabeU

@kuvo wrote:
 Also once my data runs up is when the issues arrise. 

That's not what you said.  You said your upload speed was 300Kbps, regardless of whether you had data or not.  

HughesNet sells you a package with a finite amount of high speed data.  A package which you chose and which you agreed to.  How you use that data, and if you burn through 20GB in one hour, is up to you.  You chose HughesNet as your internet provider.  HughesNet didn't choose you.    

You have two options.  Run the speed tests (when you again have data) so you can have the issues addressed, or don't run the speed tests and don't have the issues addressed.  It's entirely up to you.  

Good day to you.