Slow upload speeds

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jschneider03
New Poster

Slow upload speeds

We have been having trouble streaming especially at certain times of the day.  Neflix used to work great all the time now sometimes it does not.  Espn+ did well until we used up our data but now is even buffering alot in bonus time. I did the tests with testmy.net and here are the results. 

<a href="https://testmy.net/quickstats/JSchneider">JSchneider's Speed Test Results</a><iframe loading="lazy" src="https://testmy.net/quickstats/JSchneider&f=1" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" height="380" width="100%"></iframe>

Thank you

21 REPLIES 21
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

You need more tests, and your file sizes are not the required ones. To have speed issues addressed on this site, please follow the protocol outlined here: https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/td-p/110034

jschneider03 wrote:

We have been having trouble streaming especially at certain times of the day.  Neflix used to work great all the time now sometimes it does not.  Espn+ did well until we used up our data but now is even buffering alot in bonus time. I did the tests with testmy.net and here are the results. 

Sorry about that, I'm not good at this.  I did more tests and hopefully I did it right.

https://testmy.net/quickstats/JSchneider

GabeU

@jschneider03 

You did.  However, though you've gotten some tests in, it's important to also make sure you get a few tests in during the times that you're normally having the streaming issue(s) in order to show whether low speed, congestion or both are the cause.  This is, of course, only when you have data available and aren't throttled at the time you're trying to stream and experiencing the issue(s).  

Regarding streaming during the Bonus period, right at 2:00AM it can slow down a good bit due to so many people taking advantage of the Bonus data during that time period (2AM to 8AM).  It normally starts easing up after a little while, or at least it does for me, but people who schedule their downloads and such for the Bonus period tend to schedule them right on the hour, which bogs the system down for a little while.  If you're tyring to stream around 2AM or so, this may be the reason why it's not working well.  I find that, at least for my beam, the congestion starts easing up after fifteen or twenty minutes, and usually by 3AM the speed is getting back up there, but even at 3AM it takes a bit of hit, as people in the next time zone are scheduling their things to download at their 2AM.  For me, being in EST, I get speed hits at 2AM, 3AM, 4AM and 5AM, though 2AM is usually the worst and lasts longer than the others.

Thank you, I will do some more tests this evening.  As far as the bonus time I always use it in the morning before I go to work around 5 or 6am.  In the last few weeks it has been buffering and unwatchable at times. This was never the case before.

GabeU

@jschneider03 

Ah, okay.  Later in the morning.  At that time you should still be getting decent speed. 

Though you probably have, I figured I'd mention it, just in case:  have you tried turning off, or pausing, the Video Data Saver while streaming?  It may help, though if the underlying problem is speed or congestion related, it likely won't.

I just tried that yesterday after seeing it mentioned on another thread. It did seem to help some.

Also is it normal to stream better connected to the 2g rather than the 5g?

I will do a few more speed tests this evening. Based on the others my upload speed is slower than it should be right?
GabeU

@jschneider03 

The 2.4Ghz vs 5Ghz really depends on how good of a signal you're getting with the 5Ghz band.  It has shorter range than the 2.4Ghz band, but if you're getting a good signal, it's normally better to use the 5Ghz band due to the speed advantages.  And even though the speed capabilities of the 2.4Ghz band are higher than the speed of HughesNet, in practice the 5Ghz band can still be better.  

But, with all that said, unless you're doing more than one thing at a time that requires a good amount of speed, either band should work well.  Still, I'd go with the 5Ghz band if you get a good signal from it.  The HughesNet mobile app, which you can get at Google Play or the App Store, has a WiFi signal strength tester, so you can see how good the signal is where you're using your device(s).  As well, there are other signal strength apps out there that will give you a lot more precise info than the HughesNet mobile app, which is adequate, but pretty basic.   

Regarding your upload speed, a few of those tests do look really bad.  It should be nowhere near that low.  I'd say that anything under 1Mbps is pretty low, but the 100Kbps and 152Kbps are absolutely abysmal.  Just make sure you're using the 4MB size for upload tests (and 25MB for download), though I do realize that if the tests take a really long time they can sometimes downsize on their own, which looks like happened with those bad ones.  😞

GabeU

This is the URL for your tests...

Liz

Good morning jschneider03,

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting. As Gabe said, it would be great to get some speed tests during the usual times you experience streaming issues, because the speed tests you're showing lately are well over 25 Mbps.

I ran diagnostics on your site and I noticed that a few of your network devices have poor signal strength, and if you're using any of these to stream, that is a big factor to consider. 

These two devices onthe 2.4 GHz network with MAC addresses ending in 63 and 86 have a fair signal, can you please move them closer to the HughesNet modem to see if performance improves? If not, try power cycling the device (powering it down for at least 30 seconds before turning it back on). Let me know if there's any difference after the power cycle.

This one device on the 5Ghz network with MAC address ending in 3b has poor signal. See if switching it to the 2.4 GHz network makes a difference.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Hi Liz,
Thank you for your response. I haven't had time to check my devices yet but I will as soon as I can. I'm pretty sure the poor connected device is the kid's ps4 upstairs. I'm not too concerned with that one. Everything else is fairly close so maybe they just need to be reset.

I ran another test in the evening and it showed similar to the others. The really bad tests were my fault, I ran the wrong tests.

Thanks

Thanks, looking forward to hearing back.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Just ran a test after having trouble streaming with the roku stick.  It was showing a good signal and it was not one of the devices you mentioned.  The one showing poor was actually the smart TV. I switched it to 2G connection. 

Thanks

Hi jschneider03,

Thanks for the update, looks the HughesNet modem is getting great speeds. Let's look at the Roku since you said you were having trouble with it. Please try disabling Interference Mitigation in your Roku to see if that improves your streaming performance. Here are instructions on how to do so:

https://sites.google.com/site/rokucomlinkaut/home/preventingrokudirectwi-fiaccessfrombreakingthrough...

When you test streaming on the Roku, please provide the following information:

To which device is the Roku stick connected?

What exactly are you streaming, Netflix, Hulu, etc?

In what resolution are you streaming?

Is the Video Data Saver enabled when streaming? 

Do you still have streaming issues after disabling Video Data Saver?

Hi Liz,

I am having trouble streaming again this morning. It worked fine yesterday.
The roku stick is connected to a vizio television. I am streaming espn+, at 720 resolution. The video data saver was on at first. It started buffering and would eventually exit out and prompt me to check my connection. I then turned the video data saver off and tried again. It worked better for a while and then did the same thing.

Yesterday, I followed the link for disabling interference but some of the options were not available like the instructions said.

Thanks

Which model Roku stick are you using?

Model: 3800X

Thanks jschneider03.

For troubleshooting purposes, let's leave the Roku out, so please stream Netflix from a computer directly connected to the HughesNet modem. 

Let's also disable the wifi for this troubleshooting test.If you don't know how to disable the wifi in the HT2000W, read "How do I manage my built-in WiFi modem?" in this PDF: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Documents/1041318-0001_a.pdf Click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, 2.4Ghz Guest, 5Ghz, 5Ghz Guest).

Let me know if you see any difference streaming Netflix this way.

Hi, Liz

Sorry for taking so long. I disabled the wifi and streamed espn+ from the laptop this morning and it worked great. Steamed for 30 minutes with no problem. Espn+ was the one giving me more trouble than Netflix.

Thanks,
Jon

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the update. So directly connected, streaming works fine, but via the Roku, there's buffering. I'm going to let our engineers know, I know they are interested in doing more testing with Roku and the HughesNet system.

Good morning jschneider03,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.