Slow web page and video

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hck
New Poster

Slow web page and video

I am sad to say that this Hughes Net is not like my first one a number of years back. They claim to provide 25Mbps but I am lucky if I get common web pages to load in 30 seconds to 2 minutes. I did the speed test with the speed tester and it says 25Mbps! How can this be??? Looking a little closer I have discovered that Hughesnet limits MTU packets size to web pages. With Wireshark I can see that during a speed test they max out the MTU at 1460 but when I am loading say facebook it maxs out at 798 MTU. This causes as lot more back and forth with the applications. So why do they do this?

4 REPLIES 4
MarkJFine
Professor

I wouldn't worry about the MTU. You might want to take a closer look at the number of external things that are part of modern web pages (images, css, js, etc.), each requiring it's own ping. Multiply that by 600ms per ping and it adds up.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

I understand latency, but add to the fact of what you are stating I need twice the number of packets in a data stream. The MSS adjust for the network is 1460, no reason for Hughsnet to limit it down to 798. 

Might be part of a contingency to try to alleviate internal congestion. Don't really know.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Hello hck,

I see it's your first posts here, so welcome to the community! HughesNet does not limit MSS nor MTU down to 798.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!