Hughesnet Community

Slow!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
r_paro

Slow!

So I just had the equipment installed today. I had reservations, but have no choice due to where the home is. When the installer left it was working great. I have the ultra plan and I was getting the 15 Mbps that were promised. I spent the afternoon downloading Apple TV apps and checking everything out. At 5pm I had something I needed to watch and the bottom fell out . Speed dropped to 0.61 Mbps, useless. I rebooted everything , no help. I called customer service and spoke with a gentlemen that was very difficult to understand. After redoing all the troubleshooting he blamed it on my router, I know it's not my router because the Apple TV doesn't work even when plugged directly into the modem, plus the router is brand new. I feel like I'm being scammed. I don't think they have enough bandwidth when everyone logged in at 5 pm. I am about to dispute the charges on my American Express and tell them to come get their equipment unless someone can help me with this problem.
15 REPLIES 15
r_paro

Now I'm at 0.41 Mbps
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

r-paro, 

You've come to the right place.  

To address speed issues, there are some speed tests that need to be run, and they need to be run using a certain protocol.  

You will need to create an account at http://testmy.net/ (if you don't already have one) and run the tests while signed in to that account.  You will need to run the tests using a single device connected directly to the modem with a LAN cable (NO ROUTER).  

You should run a group of three to five download tests using the manual 12MB test size.  Make sure to space each test at least five minutes apart.  You should run a group of these tests at various times of the day, but make sure to include the time when you are having the speed issues.  

When you have run some tests, click on the Results icon while signed into testmy.net and copy, then paste the URL in the address box onto a post here.  It will look something like the following, but with your testmy.net user name where it says yourusername... http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

Most important points:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO ROUTER)
-use the 12MB size download test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/[yourusername]

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM.  They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.  

r_paro

Now 0.27
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor
r_paro

Nope, I'm a very busy person and don't have the time. I was reassured by the salesperson that this wouldnt be an issue. If you want to test then send a technician here. Otherwise you need to come pick up your equipment.
r_paro

So you provide a service that doesn't do what it's supposed to do, then I have to do the diagnostics?
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

There are a multitude of things that can cause speed issues.  Sending out a tech for every time there are speed issues is not economically feasible, so there are simple tests that can be run at home to get the process started.  You can set up the test so it runs five of them automatically.  
r_paro

This is the first day, I just want to cancel.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Then go ahead and call in and cancel.  I suspect if Hughesnet was your only option, then only Exede would be your other option, and they would require the same thing, troubleshooting.  First day or not, if a user on any ISP doesn't want to perform basic troubleshooting steps, then there's not much that can be done.

Upon cancellation of service Hughesnet will send out a prepaid return box.  Please follow the directions in the box to return your Hughesnet Modem, and Radio located on the dish.  Should you request a technician go out to retrieve the radio, there will be a service fee.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

First day and not willing to do any troubleshooting. Gotta be a record.
r_paro

Why should I do the troubleshooting? I'm paying for the service aren't I?
r_paro

Who are you corrosive? Are you part of Hughes?
r_paro

Ricky
Tutor

Everyone posting here are customers just like yourself. Only those with "Official Reps" by their name are employees of HughesNet. You are getting good advice to get started on resolving your issue if you would just settle down and listen. Do the speed test to help HughesNet help you. Also HughesNet only accepts 2 speed test site results. Their own and www.testmy.net.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

That speed test site does not provide usable data for Hughes Engineers as it is not set up to account for the high latency inherent connection nor is set up to account for your system being behind a web acceleration server.

To get accurate results you must use the testmy.net speed test as outlined by GabeU in his reply above.