cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slower than normal download speeds

jpb1776
New Poster

Slower than normal download speeds

For the past two weeks or so, I've been experiencing slower than normal download speeds during the throttled period. Typically, I could expect 1-2Mbps after using up the data in my service plan for the month. Lately, I've been experiencing far less than 1Mbps on average. I've tried resetting the modem several times, calling tech support, all to no avail. When I initially signed up, I was told by two different salesmen that I should expect an average of 3Mbps during my "throttled" period (and this was the whole reason I went with Hughes in the first place). Any idea what's up?

Here are my test results:

https://testmy.net/quickstats/jpb1776

10 REPLIES 10
maratsade
Distinguished Professor III

Re: Slower than normal download speeds

@jpb1776 ,

I imagine it might be due to changes in one of the factors that affect performance. According to the HughesNet website, some of these factors are "the configuration of your computer, the number of concurrent users, network or Internet congestion, the capabilities and content of the websites you are accessing, network management practices as deemed necessary, and other factors."

It could be there are more subscribers on your beam, or changes in websites that make them more data-heavy, or aging of your software/hardware, or higher internet congestion, etc.  Way too many variables. 

The HughesNet staff will be back tomorrow and they can run remote diagnostics on your equipment to see whether something may be amiss. Sometimes a remote adjustment has made a difference, so hang in there until a rep replies to your post. 

I hope someone else on this site will have a better answer or more suggestions for you. 

jpb1776
New Poster

To narrow things down for a rep's future consideration, there have been no significant changes on the client side that should impact performance. This issue has persisted across multiple devices, and has also persisted when all devices except the bandwidth-testing device (a desktop running Linux) were disconnected. The suddenness of the change definitely makes it seem like some kind of Hughes-side network configuration was abruptly altered.

maratsade

"The suddenness of the change definitely makes it seem like some kind of Hughes-side network configuration was abruptly altered."

Not necessarily. Could also very well be normal changes in the way websites do things. 

jpb1776
New Poster

I think it is unlikely that every website I happen to visit (including testmy.net) would cut my bandwidth from a consistent 1-2MBps to 0.3MBps. I also think it's unlikely that every single other provider I use, with protocols ranging from SSH to RTC to SIP, would also do the same. This has happened in the past, and the tech on the phonecall said that my modem had received a wrong/corrupt configuration file during a pushed update, and he was able to resolve it remotely. I'm betting something similar has happened, but the techs I've talked to thus far are unable to get past assuring me that it's other devices taking up bandwidth (despite no other devices being on the network), that I've used up data for the service period and my bandwidth is perfectly normal, etc. I'm hoping someone with a little more knowledge in the matter will be able to diagnose the issue, as I'm almost 100% certain that it's due to a provider-side problem.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@jpb1776 

For the sake of redundancy, you can see all connected devices on this modem page, though if you're using a 3rd party router for your WiFi only that router will show and nothing connected to it.  Sometimes people forget about devices they have connected, and this can help.  I'm not saying this is the case, but again, I present it for the sake of redundancy.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
maratsade

You know best, of course. 

@jpb1776 wrote:

I think it is unlikely that every website I happen to visit (including testmy.net) would cut my bandwidth from a consistent 1-2MBps to 0.3MBps. I also think it's unlikely that every single other provider I use, with protocols ranging from SSH to RTC to SIP, would also do the same. This has happened in the past, and the tech on the phonecall said that my modem had received a wrong/corrupt configuration file during a pushed update, and he was able to resolve it remotely. I'm betting something similar has happened, but the techs I've talked to thus far are unable to get past assuring me that it's other devices taking up bandwidth (despite no other devices being on the network), that I've used up data for the service period and my bandwidth is perfectly normal, etc. I'm hoping someone with a little more knowledge in the matter will be able to diagnose the issue, as I'm almost 100% certain that it's due to a provider-side problem.

jpb1776
New Poster

"For the sake of redundancy, you can see all connected devices on this modem page, though if you're using a 3rd party router for your WiFi only that router will show and nothing connected to it."

Just to exclude this possibility for any rep that comes by, there are no third party routers connected to the modem, and there is only one device connected to the modem when the bandwidth testing is being done. The reduced speed is also apparent across all connected devices.

Also, another point I didn't mention earlier, the problem goes away entirely and I get full-service speeds during the 2am-8am period. This problem only occurs during the reduced service period.

Liz

Good morning jpb1776,

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting all this information and what you've done so far. This definitely speeds up the escalation process so I've already sent this info up and asked for input from our engineers here at corporate. I'll let you know what I find out or if they have any questions for you.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

jpb1776
New Poster

My speeds are back up. Thanks for your help, everyone!