Hughesnet Community

Slowest internet ive ever seen

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Josmit1983

Slowest internet ive ever seen

Ive now had huesnet for 3 months. I switched from viasat because i was promised even after data cap i could at least watch netflix on one tv. Well its been 3 months and even before my data cap is over half the time i cant even watch youtube in 144 pixle. It takes 5 min to watch a 2 min video much less watch Netflix or anything else. Between 8 and 10pm you can give it up even looking at fb. Watching youtube is out of the question. I was lied to so i would drop viasat for this. Either fix the problem or get me out of this contract i was lied into signing up for. I dnt have anything to hook up a lan cable to for the speed test. We literally only use it so my son can watch youtube on his phone. He can hardly do that and ive had enough..
5 REPLIES 5
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Josmit1983 

You have two options.  

1.  Asking for a sales call review in order to determine whether the sales representative did not set appropriate expectations.  You can ask for this review in the "MyAccount and Billing" section, and please be specific about the reason you're requesting the sales call review.  It's also time sensitive, as sales calls are only kept for about three or four months.

2.  Start troubleshooting the issue by running some speed tests.  First, however, ensure that you are both NOT out of plan data and that the modem is working as it should.  You can do the latter by going to the System Control Center and seeing if both boxes at the top of the page are green.  If they are both green, the modem is working properly.  If this is the case, AND you are not out of plan data, please proceed with the speed testing as follows...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account (if you do not already have one) and, while signed into that account, perform a batch of 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share your testmy.net "My Results" page URL with us here. A batch each in the morning, afternoon and evening is the most ideal, but the reps are well aware that not everyone can do this, so please just run a batch when you can.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem while the speed tests are being performed
-the testing device should be the ONLY device connected to the HughesNet modem while testing
-use the manual 25MB size download test file
-if testing upload instead of download, use the manual 4MB size upload test file
-space each test in the batch at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please see this site.

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 9AM to 6PM EST. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

If you don't know how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem, please see "How do I manage my built-in WiFi modem?" in this PDF. Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).

Kela
New Poster

They expect customers to be quite tech savvy, unlike other providers. ISP, WiFi service, is not my wheelhouse, not my profession. It should be theirs. Though they clearly see the majority of comments are complaints, rather than praise, of their service. I am hoping to find another provider in my area, as I now see it could not be worse. There is no way we are using 30g in 2-3 days every single month. This is a con to get us to buy "tokens", which i'd never even heard of. So disappointed. Never thought it could be this bad. Ours pauses every 5-10 without fail, for 10-50 secs. It's awful awful.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Kela wrote:

They expect customers to be quite tech savvy, unlike other providers. ISP, WiFi service, is not my wheelhouse, not my profession. It should be theirs.  

The speed tests must be run from the customer location, and sending a tech to perform a few speed tests is not economically feasible, nor necessary.  All ISPs require a level of customer input when troubleshooting certain issues.  HughesNet is not at all unique in this.  

@Kela wrote:

There is no way we are using 30g in 2-3 days every single month.  

Yes, there absolutely is.  

If you need help, including with figuring out why your data is being exhausted so quickly, please start your own new topic and ask for it.

Kela
New Poster

They expect customers to be quite tech savvy, unlike other providers. ISP, WiFi service, is not my wheelhouse, not my profession. It should be theirs. Though they clearly see the majority of comments are complaints, rather than praise, of their service. I am hoping to find another provider in my area, as I now see it could not be worse. There is no way we are using 30g in 2-3 days every single month. This is a con to get us to buy "tokens", which i'd never even heard of. So disappointed. Never thought it could be this bad. Ours pauses every 5-10 without fail, for 10-50 secs. It's awful awful.

Liz

Good morning Josmit1983,

Welcome to the community, thanks for posting. We're closing this thread since we never got a reply from you. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can more effectively help you.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!