Slows to a crawl in the evenings

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jcocke23
Sophomore

Slows to a crawl in the evenings

I have had Gen 5 for a few days now.  Just as others have experienced....download slows to a crawl after 8PM.  I just signed up for the testmy page, username jcocke23, to start logging the speeds.  Speeds average 2-3 Mbps.  Definitely don't think it is a signal issue, or a throttle issue...first thing in the mornings I have seen as high as 30 Mbps.  Can't stream youtube or netflix without constant buffering.  I am very frustrated...I definitely feel duped.

31 REPLIES 31
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@jcocke23

That you have already signed up for an account at testmy.net and have been running the tests while signed in is good.  I see that you are using the correct size for the tests, as well (25MB).  If you haven't already, make sure to be testing with a device that's connected directly to the modem with a LAN cable.  Also, it would be beneficial to try to get a few tests in at other times of the day, if you are able, so that the reps can see the difference.  It can help them to narrow down the cause.  

http://testmy.net/quickstats/jcocke23

@GabeU

Thanks, I did connect the ethernet cable directly, starting today.  Just ran another test...weird results with super high spikes above 60, but the overall average was still 4.3 Mbps.

GabeU

@jcocke23 wrote:

@GabeU

Thanks, I did connect the ethernet cable directly, starting today.  Just ran another test...weird results with super high spikes above 60, but the overall average was still 4.3 Mbps.

You're welcome.  I see what you mean about the spikes, and I'm sure the reps will see them when looking at some of the individual test results, as well.  

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@jcocke23

Can you go to your modems WebGUI at http://192.168.0.1 and click on "System Status" at the top?  What does the IP Gateway Association State show?

For instance, mine says, "Associated (Data IPGW - J2SDO066HNSIGW0101)"   I am mostly interested in the last string after the hyphen, "J2SDO066HNSIGW0101".

Also, are all fields in that section green?

Hello jcocke23,

Welcome to the Community and thanks for posting. You have definitely come to the right place. I am glad to see that you have been extremely proactive and were able to log those speeds when you did. I have escalated your case to our engineering department and I just found out that they have identified the source and are working on a fix. I will post back once I received an update from them. Also, please check your private messages in the top right-hand corner, as I have sent you more information. Again, thank you so much for reaching out to us. Your patience and understanding are much appreciated while we work to resolve this issue.

-Aedan

@Aedan

Thank you for your help...I haven't been able to log any speeds until this evening, but so far it is looking better.  I hope that a permanent fix is on the way.

@C0RR0SIVE

Here is what I have @ everything is green check marked:

J2SDO068HNSIGW0106

Looks like we're all neighbors then. I'm on 0104 instead of 0106 tho.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@MarkJFine wrote:

What do those last four numbers mean?  I'm on 0105 and the Roseburg, OR gateway.  

I'm guessing, but I think has to do with the gateway ID/outroute. I'm on J2 San Diego - beam 68.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

I'll take a swag and say Lost Wages Nevada, Beam 79.

GabeU

@r3wt wrote:

J2NLV079HNSIGW0110

The first three letters after the J2 (or J1).  Your gateway is in North Las Vegas.  

maratsade

My gateway's letters are SDO.Is that South Dakota something or other? San Diego?

SDO is San Diego

maratsade

Thanks, @MarkJFine!  Pretty nice weather there.

GabeU

@GabeU wrote:

@MarkJFine wrote:

What do those last four numbers mean?  I'm on 0105 and the Roseburg, OR gateway.  

Now I'm on 0102.  I guess it changed after the software update.

I guess I was a little too optomistic.  Still the same slow evening issue.  I've done a couple other speed tests, same results in the evening...around 3 mbps.  I am 90% certain it has to do with bandwidth as it gets congested in the evenings.  That worries me a bit...Gen 5 hasn't been out that long, and with more users signing up, that is just going to mean things will slow down more, unless there are substantial hardware upgrades.

I've gotten to where I don't trust the testmy.net site.  I still run the 25 mb tests, but it will download a chuch, sit there idle for 20 seconds with no progress, then download a big chunk...sit there idle again for a big block of time...then download another chunk.  And I see speeds over 100 mbps during these bursts, only to have the average of the entire download to be 3 mbps.

Any other thoughts?  What about the crazy inconsistent test data?

@GabeU wrote:

We had biblical levels of rain in the DC area today. The Mustang nearly 'surfed' on the way back from food shopping. So naturally the modem dropped in and out as signal quality dropped below threshhold.

When the modem re-associated with the gateway I was on 0101. The outroute can change depending upon load or whichever is free at the time, but the gateway and beam can not.

GabeU

@MarkJFine wrote:

@GabeU wrote:

We had biblical levels of rain in the DC area today. The Mustang nearly 'surfed' on the way back from food shopping. So naturally the modem dropped in and out as signal quality dropped below threshhold.

When the modem re-associated with the gateway I was on 0101. The outroute can change depending upon load or whichever is free at the time, but the gateway and beam can not.

Really?  I didn't know it could change that often.  I thought it was something that was locked in, like the beam and gateway.  That's interesting.  

I just checked mine.  I'm on 104 now.  LOL.  

I still wonder just what those last four digits signify, though.  I wonder if it signifies some type of group, like when you start your modem and it connects, it connects to whatever "group" is the most open.  Like each beam is further divided into those groups, and which one you are allocated to changes from connection to connection (that it changes, I know, but I mean why).  Like tomorrow when I connect "group" 0103 might be the most open, so it will fit me in there.  Hmm.  Could it be something like that?  

@GabeU@MarkJFine

I'm confused with what y'all are talking about....Does that have anything to do with my issue or original topic?