Slows to a crawl in the evenings

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jcocke23
Sophomore

Slows to a crawl in the evenings

I have had Gen 5 for a few days now.  Just as others have experienced....download slows to a crawl after 8PM.  I just signed up for the testmy page, username jcocke23, to start logging the speeds.  Speeds average 2-3 Mbps.  Definitely don't think it is a signal issue, or a throttle issue...first thing in the mornings I have seen as high as 30 Mbps.  Can't stream youtube or netflix without constant buffering.  I am very frustrated...I definitely feel duped.

31 REPLIES 31
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

No.  Only talking about the last four of the gateway string.  

Sorry.  Didn't mean to hijack your thread with something not related to your issue.  

@jcocke23

Short answer: it does have something to do with your issue.

If I'm on the same satellite, gateway, and beam as you (and we are) but different outroutes but see different levels of slowness, the problem can be ruled out as being from those three points. The only thing different is the outroute (which may have it's own share of congestion and/or routing issues) or your equipment (dish transceiver, alignment, foliage/weather effects, modem, router, wifi and/or cabling, computer, etc.).

You can try to change outroutes by powering down or rebooting the modem to force a reassociation and see if the condition improves on another outroute.

Congestion itself isn't scientific and can be perceived subjectively: Even though I saw greater than usual congestion Monday evening on the outroute I was reassigned, I was still able to download, post-produce and upload/post a 45MB podcast in a reasonable amount of time at ~8pm ET. Some days it's going to be better or worse than others, but you know that statistically it's going to be greater in the evenings when most people aren't at work.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

@MarkJFine

That does make more sense to me.  However, what I experience is chunks of downloads...then pauses...then download resumes...then pauses again.  This is evident in the tests that I run.  This issue make streaming nearly impossible...youtube, espn, netflix...constant stopping and starting.

I did restart the modem last night and it took it a good 20 minutes before I had internet connectivity again...is that typical of a restart?

@jcocke23

The bursting and pausing is very symptomatic of congestion because you're dependent upon the available bandwidth wrt to ebb and flow of everyone else's usage at the same time. That's true of any internet provider, really. And, I do have to say that Gen5 has generally handled congestion a lot better than Gen4 did.

20' is a rather long wait for the modem to come back. Typically it's back within 2-5'. I've seen some instances where it took an especially long time for the 5GHz wifi to finally settle and connect on the older 3.4.3.33 code, but 3.4.3.35 has been much quicker and a lot more stable on reboots. That may have been a 'blip' but it may also depends upon how many things it's trying to re-connect with.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Hey jcocke23,

Thanks so much for constantly monitoring your speeds and keeping the community updated on your service. Gen5 is a new system, so any speed or performance issues that you are having shouldn’t be related to traffic congestion.

I looked at your speed tests and I do see the “chunks of downloads” that you mentioned above. Our engineers are already working to resolve your concerns, but I have also collected all of the other information that you posted and will send it to them. This should hopefully help them to identify your issue quickly and get the fix out to you ASAP.  

As always, thank you, and your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

-Aedan

@Aedan
Any updates? Things seem to be getting worse more than better.

Hi jcocke23,

I just spoke with an engineer and got confirmation that network adjustments have been implemented and have improved performance overall. Are you seeing these improvements in speeds? 

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

maratsade

@MarkJFine wrote:

Looks like we're all neighbors then. I'm on 0104 instead of 0106 tho.

0102 here.

GabeU

@jcocke23

Green boxes and checks shows that everything is in working order with your equipment and immediate system.    

Engineering being involved is a good thing, as they can look at pretty much everything, and, evidently, they've already seen something.  Hopefully you'll be up to par, soon.  

FYI, your gateway is in San Diego, as is evidenced by the SDO after the J2 in your IP Gateway Association State.  It's just good to know as it can help if ever your system starts having a short term issue, as you can see if there is any inclement weather in San Diego.  

maratsade

"FYI, your gateway is in San Diego, as is evidenced by the SDO after the J2 in your IP Gateway Association State.  It's just good to know as it can help if ever your system starts having a short term issue, as you can see if there is any inclement weather in San Diego. "

I didn't see this before asking about SDO. 

Usually pretty good weather there as well in LA. Worst you'd see is some morning marine layer clouds, but they burn off between 10 PT, noon PT tops.

What's key is the beginning of the gateway string:
JnGGGbbb where:
   Jn = Jupiter sat number, starting with "J"
   G = Gateway location trigraph

b = beam number