Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slows to a crawl in the evenings

Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Slows to a crawl in the evenings

@GabeU wrote:

@MarkJFine wrote:

Looks like we're all neighbors then. I'm on 0104 instead of 0106 tho.

What do those last four numbers mean?  I'm on 0105 and the Roseburg, OR gateway.  

Now I'm on 0102.  I guess it changed after the software update.

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sophomore

I guess I was a little too optomistic.  Still the same slow evening issue.  I've done a couple other speed tests, same results in the evening...around 3 mbps.  I am 90% certain it has to do with bandwidth as it gets congested in the evenings.  That worries me a bit...Gen 5 hasn't been out that long, and with more users signing up, that is just going to mean things will slow down more, unless there are substantial hardware upgrades.

I've gotten to where I don't trust the testmy.net site.  I still run the 25 mb tests, but it will download a chuch, sit there idle for 20 seconds with no progress, then download a big chunk...sit there idle again for a big block of time...then download another chunk.  And I see speeds over 100 mbps during these bursts, only to have the average of the entire download to be 3 mbps.

Any other thoughts?  What about the crazy inconsistent test data?

Assistant Professor

@GabeU wrote:

We had biblical levels of rain in the DC area today. The Mustang nearly 'surfed' on the way back from food shopping. So naturally the modem dropped in and out as signal quality dropped below threshhold.

When the modem re-associated with the gateway I was on 0101. The outroute can change depending upon load or whichever is free at the time, but the gateway and beam can not.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

@MarkJFine wrote:

@GabeU wrote:

We had biblical levels of rain in the DC area today. The Mustang nearly 'surfed' on the way back from food shopping. So naturally the modem dropped in and out as signal quality dropped below threshhold.

When the modem re-associated with the gateway I was on 0101. The outroute can change depending upon load or whichever is free at the time, but the gateway and beam can not.

Really?  I didn't know it could change that often.  I thought it was something that was locked in, like the beam and gateway.  That's interesting.  

I just checked mine.  I'm on 104 now.  LOL.  

I still wonder just what those last four digits signify, though.  I wonder if it signifies some type of group, like when you start your modem and it connects, it connects to whatever "group" is the most open.  Like each beam is further divided into those groups, and which one you are allocated to changes from connection to connection (that it changes, I know, but I mean why).  Like tomorrow when I connect "group" 0103 might be the most open, so it will fit me in there.  Hmm.  Could it be something like that?  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sophomore

@GabeU@MarkJFine

I'm confused with what y'all are talking about....Does that have anything to do with my issue or original topic?

No.  Only talking about the last four of the gateway string.  

Sorry.  Didn't mean to hijack your thread with something not related to your issue.  

Assistant Professor

@jcocke23

Short answer: it does have something to do with your issue.

If I'm on the same satellite, gateway, and beam as you (and we are) but different outroutes but see different levels of slowness, the problem can be ruled out as being from those three points. The only thing different is the outroute (which may have it's own share of congestion and/or routing issues) or your equipment (dish transceiver, alignment, foliage/weather effects, modem, router, wifi and/or cabling, computer, etc.).

You can try to change outroutes by powering down or rebooting the modem to force a reassociation and see if the condition improves on another outroute.

Congestion itself isn't scientific and can be perceived subjectively: Even though I saw greater than usual congestion Monday evening on the outroute I was reassigned, I was still able to download, post-produce and upload/post a 45MB podcast in a reasonable amount of time at ~8pm ET. Some days it's going to be better or worse than others, but you know that statistically it's going to be greater in the evenings when most people aren't at work.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Sophomore

@MarkJFine

That does make more sense to me.  However, what I experience is chunks of downloads...then pauses...then download resumes...then pauses again.  This is evident in the tests that I run.  This issue make streaming nearly impossible...youtube, espn, netflix...constant stopping and starting.

I did restart the modem last night and it took it a good 20 minutes before I had internet connectivity again...is that typical of a restart?

Assistant Professor

@jcocke23

The bursting and pausing is very symptomatic of congestion because you're dependent upon the available bandwidth wrt to ebb and flow of everyone else's usage at the same time. That's true of any internet provider, really. And, I do have to say that Gen5 has generally handled congestion a lot better than Gen4 did.

20' is a rather long wait for the modem to come back. Typically it's back within 2-5'. I've seen some instances where it took an especially long time for the 5GHz wifi to finally settle and connect on the older 3.4.3.33 code, but 3.4.3.35 has been much quicker and a lot more stable on reboots. That may have been a 'blip' but it may also depends upon how many things it's trying to re-connect with.

Senior

Hey jcocke23,

Thanks so much for constantly monitoring your speeds and keeping the community updated on your service. Gen5 is a new system, so any speed or performance issues that you are having shouldn’t be related to traffic congestion.

I looked at your speed tests and I do see the “chunks of downloads” that you mentioned above. Our engineers are already working to resolve your concerns, but I have also collected all of the other information that you posted and will send it to them. This should hopefully help them to identify your issue quickly and get the fix out to you ASAP.  

As always, thank you, and your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

-Aedan