Snails are faster

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
reffahsenyaw
Freshman

Snails are faster

Using the speed test on their support page gets me 700 K, trying to download their 'utilization' software for Windows is not rational, it take over 8 hours. This issue is across several systems that are both wired and wireless.

3 hard wired PC's running WinDoze 7

2 wireless Google Nexus tablets running Android 6

2 wireless Pixel phones running Android 9

1 wireless Chromebook running latest version

1 wireless Samsung 4K player

1 Visio 4K TV

1 Roku

All of these devices have been tested without others being on the network. The 3 hard wired devices were tested individually with wireless disabled. This is a 3 day old install, ready to eat the cancellation fee.  Any suggestions?  

14 REPLIES 14
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

To have speed concerns addressed in this community, please follow the protocol outlined here:

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607

That's not it. I think the modem is fine and will pass the speed test(s), using the one one their website also gives almost acceptable results. (https://my.hughesnet.com/support?_mpsource=Header&_udreq=1&tab=SpeedTest) but download speeds are too slow to use. It took over an hour to download their usage app during 'bonus' hours and said it would take over 8 hours durning normal usage hours. I do not think the issue is with the modem, rather it appears to be an issue with the router. Any pointers would be appreciated. This is across multiple systems, using multiple OS's using both wired and wireless connections. The problem is consistant and needs to be addressed.

maratsade

Once again, in order for any speed issues to be escalated here, you need to follow the required protocol. If you don’t want to do this, you should call the customer service line or get on the chat, but they can only do so much.  You’ll get further here, but not without doing what’s required.    

Slow speeds can have many causes, and the speed tests run on Testmy.net provide the reps and engineers with information they need to assess the problem, so your best bet would be to follow the protocol linked in my previous post. 

GabeU

@reffahsenyaw wrote:

I do not think the issue is with the modem, rather it appears to be an issue with the router.  

If there is a problem with the "router", there is a problem with the HT2000W modem, as it is a combination unit.

If you are using a separate, 3rd party router, OTOH, and you believe the problem is with that, taking it out of the equation will either prove or disprove it.

No other equipment was involved, all tests were performed with just the unit and the tablet, phone, computer, tv, blueray, etc. attached. Tests were performed one at a time with other interfaces disabled. For example the direct connection tests were done with wireless disabled, with only one device physically attached. The 'testmy' results are fine. The tests with the version in support are fine. I am aware that it is one box, there are multiple components in that box. One of them, the modem. seems to be functioning normally, although there is the curious issue with it working about 10x faster between 12AM and 8AM. There is another customer in the neighborhood, I am going to try to locate them, and see if we can do the same tests at their location. Keep trying to come up with a solution, so far this isn't getting me too far but I appreciate the efforts and hope that there will eventually be a resolve.

GabeU

@reffahsenyaw wrote:

Keep trying to come up with a solution, so far this isn't getting me too far but I appreciate the efforts and hope that there will eventually be a resolve.

YOU don't have to come up with a solution.  This support community and the people who work through it are here to help figure out what's wrong and provide that solution.  There is a troubleshooting process, and that process starts with the requested speed tests.  Whether the results show great speed or terrible speed doesn't make a bit of difference as to whether you should run them or not.  If you want help here, you need to.  It's step one in that troubleshooting process, and that process includes elimination.

Whether you receive help here is entirely up to you, but refusing to do what is necessary to get that help isn't going to get you far in that endeavor.

Good luck to you.

Perhaps something was not clear. I HAVE run the tests, and they ARE acceptable.

maratsade

Yep, that was clear.  Do you have a link to your Testmy.net results?  Because you will need these results, from Testmy, to have speed issues addressed in this community, whether you think the tests were acceptable or not.  There may be some other information in the results that would tell the engineers what else may be wrong. 

GabeU

@reffahsenyaw wrote:

Perhaps something was not clear. I HAVE run the tests, and they ARE acceptable.

If that's the case, and they have been run using the protocol listed, I suggest posting the testmy.net link to the results, as it's the only way you're going to get help.  

It's very simple.  If you want help, and judging by the fact that you're here, you do, then you need to follow the procedure to get it, whether you believe it's necessary or not.  Running the tests and posting the link to the results are Step 1 in that process.  If you refuse to perform Step 1, there's no Step 2.  Whether you are satisfied with the results of the tests or not is inconsequential to getting help with your issue.  Nor does it matter whether you think the tests are needed, or whether you understand the purpose of them.  A lot more is gleaned from the results than overall speed.  Bottom line: the reps need the specified test results to help you. 

It's now been nearly 48 hours since the instructions were given to you.  You could have simply run the tests and had the process of troubleshooting the issue started by a rep, but no.  And now that it's nearly 6PM on a Friday, that means at least another two and a half days before anything can happen, as the reps aren't on during the weekends.  

If you're just going to argue and not bother doing what is necessary to get the help you need, why are you even here?  To waste everyone's time?  If that's your endeavor, you're succeeding.  YOU asked for help.  WE told you what you need to do to get that help.  YOU refuse to do it.  You can't help someone who refuses to be helped.

Nearly 48 hours wasted.  SMH.  Hopefully, come Monday, it won't have been another 60+.  Your choice.

Did a hard reset, seems there was an issue not related to the modem, (router?). Download speeds went from an estimated 8 hours for the usage application to downloaded, installed and running in 3 minutes. Thanks anyway.

GabeU

@reffahsenyaw 

Glad it's now working for you.

maratsade

3 hard wired PC's running WinDoze 7

2 wireless Google Nexus tablets running Android 6

2 wireless Pixel phones running Android 9

1 wireless Chromebook running latest version

1 wireless Samsung 4K player

1 Visio 4K TV

1 Roku

If these are all connected simultaneously, they're causing congestion on your network, and likely the slow speeds.  We may find out if you ever decide to follow the required protocol.

Multiple times it has been stated:

EACH OF THESE DEVICES WAS TESTED INDIVIDUALLY, ONE AT A TIME. THEY WERE DISCONNECTED, TURNED OFF, NOT ON THE NETWORK.

THE TESTS HAVE BEEN DONE, I AM SATIFISFIED WITH THE RESULTS OF THE TEST. I DID THE TESTS, I USED THE SITE THAT WAS SPECIFIED, I USED THE TEST THAT IS ON YOUR SUPPORT WEBSITE, I DID THE TESTS WITH CUSTOMER SERVICE. DONE, DONE, and DONE.

DOWNLOAD SPEEDS ARE THE ISSUE. YOUR "USAGE" APPLICATION TAKES 8 HOURS. DOWNLOAD SPEEDS ARE PATHETIC. NIGHTIME SPEEDS ARE BETTER, BETWEEN 12AM and 8AM, BUT STILL LESS THAN 1MB. 

DOWNLOAD SPEEDS

maratsade

Are you looking for help regarding the download speeds, or just reporting your download speeds are not to your satisfaction?

If the former, follow the protocol and post the link to your Testmy.net results.

If the latter, we get you're not happy with the speed, but there's nothing we can do since you won't follow the protocol.