cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Sneak Preview Of New Gen5 Service Features

Hello All,

HughesNet recently asked El Dorado Networks to submit a short Video to introduce our company and staff. They encouraged us to make the video funny, serious, entertaining or whatever--our call. We decided to take it a step further and make our video "educational" as well.

So we'll share a "Sneak Preview" of some dynamite product features we've developed in-house here, in our very own RetroTech Product Research and Development Labs we're suggesting to help HughesNet make their launch of Jupiter II and Gen5 the most successful ever.

Enjoy!

Welcome To El Dorado Networks!

El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
17 REPLIES 17
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I liked it!
You could couple that up with a Dish bundle and offer a bigger Hopper.
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

I have some leftover Jupiter Orange 🙂
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

No free tokens for you Alan! Lol, quite funny. Now I'll go stream some Netflix in HD and wonder where my data went.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

An entire half a GB shot in the Rump! Oh, whatever shall I do?

I know, I'll pour popcorn in the slot!

I loved it 🙂

gokartergo24
Tutor

LOL,
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Now that's funny!  

In the future, whenever anyone says "What the FAP?!," the answer is, "You should have paid attention to your Data Meter!"  LOL.  

jimmie_evlyn
Sophomore

I'm excited to hear more about Gen 5 and hope they roll out some good plans with a reasonable price.
jthill3
New Poster

Love the video! Its right on point......
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

WTF**, Alan!

**Wow, that's fantastic!
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

I love it
Amanda

OMG - hilarious. I totally lost it at the ATA part. Good thing no one is in the office yet - I'd be getting funny looks. This is truly a show of dedication for the product and the creativity of your team.  Thank you for being such an amazing part of our company & community

Amanda
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Thanks! We had a whole lot of fun putting that together. 😄

Have to admit, the inspiration came full blown inside a weird, early-morning dream about "old tech" being used to solve new-tech problems. The scenes were pretty much already there in the dream, and we got together later that same day to map out a story board and start filming.

We couldn't stop laughing, and had to re shoot several scenes because of it. Just wished we had more time to cut it all together and polish. None of us had the faintest idea how to assemble a video so there was/is a steep learning curve.

But we're happy with what we've got, and now we're even talking about making a series of hands-on "How To" videos we can share with customers through our new YouTube channel. Things like connecting a wireless extender or an ATA, checking billing, off-hours data tips, scheduling video downloads, etc.
ronshepston

I mean for this comment to be to the original post not to your comment, Amanda but it's not clear to me how to do that.

Anyway, having spent many years in direct support of customers I've that better support comes from laying off the attitude. So, I ask this with respect - was that video a gag? I was expecting to learn why I shouldn't cancel my service after two weeks. My service is not only worthless it's harmful. Usually uploads are less than 1.0 mb but latency is so long that often my brokers 'websites timeout during my two-stage logins.

The entire loop which relies on the internet, is so slow that phone conversations, when they work at all, remind me of those international calls I made 30 years ago. The delay and broken voice make calls impossible. When I need to make a call I have to drive 5-6 miles to get direct connect to a cell tower. For internet I rely on my neighbors cable and log into his router. It's weak but it's better than HughesNet. If I get lucky I can get a small window when phone works on HughesNet and internet from my neighbor's router.

When I called customer service to cancel my service a guy obviously from India told me "I will fix your problem and this will be the last time you will have to call." I suffered his rudimenary process that led to rebooting both my Nighthawk AC1900 router and the HughesNet modem. I expected a callback when the inevitable disconnect occurred. I guess he didn't really mean it when he said that would be my last call. Three days later and I'm still waiting.

Why did I change in the first place? I've been captive to Cox for 22 years. I'd had enough of vost creep and inferior service. Example: I called to complain about speeds. The CS rep said "your modem won't allow the higher speeds.". When I asked when my modem became "old" she said "two years ago."

A bit of research lead me to HughesNet. I thought 10mb fown and 2mb up was enough for me. I had no way of knowing that the uploads were usually 0.1 - 0.3mb with long latency and big gaps.

Now, that I've vented it shouldn't surprise anyone why I looked to a post on Gen5 with hope and why the video gave me nothing to keep the hope alive.
Amanda

Hi Ron,

We're forking your comment to create your own thread so that we can better assist you. Thank you - Amanda

Please reference the new conversation here: Slow speeds, bad audio on calls
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Anyway, having spent many years in direct support of customers I've that better support comes from laying off the attitude. So, I ask this with respect - was that video a gag?
Yes, the video was meant to be funny. Thought we made that obvious throughout the description and the video, but apparently not. AFAIK, it's not possible to make popcorn with a satellite modem.

Not sure what your comment about "laying off the attitude"  means. But I'll assume that was not directed at the video or me me personally?
Now, that I've vented it shouldn't surprise anyone why I looked to a post on Gen5 with hope and why the video gave me nothing to keep the hope alive
Sorry you were so disappointed, but the video was never intended to be anything more than what it was - a short diversion and spoof on technology by some jug-headed kids out in California.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

They encouraged us to make the video funny, serious, entertaining or whatever--our call. 

Seems any sense of humor, wit, sarcasm or even self criticism needs to be left at the door once signing in here.

Once again for the umpteenth time over the years, this is a public site where anyone can sign up and post. 

Honestly no idea how the OP could be taken seriously as pretty obvious it was satirical after less than the first minute watching.

Deeply apologize if I come across as rude or uncaring, just honest reply from an old man on a public site.

ronshepston, Amanda kindly started a post where you can address your problems: https://community.hughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/slow-speeds-bad-audio-on-calls

This thread is really not one to ask for help. Actually more for those who already understand satellite internet and its limits and open to a bit of levity about it.