So, Gen5 feels sluggish

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

So, Gen5 feels sluggish

If you look at my speed tests here, the numbers are not bad. There was one amazing spike there for a sec, too.  And yet, the perceived speed when I browse is slower than Gen4.  So why is this? Anybody know?  I was getting much slower measured speeds with Gen4, but I felt the Internet was moving fast.  With Gen5, I'm getting much higher speeds than before, but I feel the whole Internet experience is sluggish, and pages take longer to load.

Two other curious things:

[1] What's hug5?  I have a hug2 network, and a hug5 network. What's the difference? (I love the "hug" aspect of the names)

[2] Why does the new Gen5 network kill my Verizon reception on my iPad? I get "no service" unless I restart the device. Curious.

Bonus question: what on Earth is the WPS button? What does it do?

Bonus comment: the new modem looks hilarious. Well, to me it does.

28 REPLIES 28
maratsade

@GabeU wrote:

@maratsade wrote:
How would I know if I'm on the E17? That's a great looking cat, btw. I have a cat that looks very similar, only with more white on the face. My cat is super fat.

Mine too.  Seventeen pounds at last vet visit.  My folks have outdoor, semi feral "barn" cats, and this one was born missing part of his left, rear leg.  They bribed me to take him in as they feared he wouldn't survive the cold Buffalo winters the way he is.  He's mine, but they pay for his food (which is expensive because he has to have a special kind) and his vet bills (which have been quite high, as well, due to having to have many teeth pulled to combat stomatitis).  

The funny thing about the leg, though, is that the stump has a pad on it, like cats have on their feet.  It's hilarious.  He's quite unique.  

Wow,he does sound quite unique!  Mine is run of the mill except for the roundness. He's a big eater and he howls and howls when he wants food and won't stop until he gets it.  He's around 18 pounds now but he's been bigger. He's a very mellow cat (unlike the other cat, who's a real jerk), and he hates the outdoors. He likes looking at the birds through the window, but once he accidentally got  outside and he was so traumatized he was catatonic for two days. The other one actually loves going outside.  They're opposites in many ways, these two.  I'm not really a cat person at all  (I'm a 100% dog person), but without the cats, the mice begin encroaching and soon are running on the counters like they own the place. 

Good morning maratsade,

I've run diagnostics on your site and everything is looking good, all equipment is working as they should. I also wanted to add onto what Gwalk said, evaluating speeds wirelessly is trickier because it introduces more variables. Since the HT2000w modem is wifi-enabled, we need to remember that even while directly connected to the HT2000w with a LAN cable, it would be helpful to also temporarily disable the wifi networks to make absolutely sure nothing else is connecting wirelessly during testing.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

maratsade

@Liz wrote:

Good morning maratsade,

I've run diagnostics on your site and everything is looking good, all equipment is working as they should. I also wanted to add onto what Gwalk said, evaluating speeds wirelessly is trickier because it introduces more variables. Since the HT2000w modem is wifi-enabled, we need to remember that even while directly connected to the HT2000w with a LAN cable, it would be helpful to also temporarily disable the wifi networks to make absolutely sure nothing else is connecting wirelessly during testing.

-Liz

Thank you, Liz!  My limited diagnostic abilities also show there's nothing wrong with the setup, so it's clearly something else. 

I hadn't thought about disabling the wifi. Good tip, thanks!

You're welcome! 

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

@maratsade

The HT2000w throws in a couple of curves to the process of Divide & Conquer.

In the past doing a direct connection to the Modem would eliminate any chance of concurrent devices that could drain off bandwidth during testing leaving only background processes to contend with.

Now we have to deal with the Modems wireless potential as well as any connected user routers serving as subnets, both wired and wireless.

maratsade

@Gwalk900 wrote:

@maratsade

The HT2000w throws in a couple of curves to the process of Divide & Conquer.

In the past doing a direct connection to the Modem would eliminate any chance of concurrent devices that could drain off bandwidth during testing leaving only background processes to contend with.

Now we have to deal with the Modems wireless potential as well as any connected user routers serving as subnets, both wired and wireless.

Yep! We definitely need to take the new modem into account and disable the wifi to truly isolate the modem. 

GabeU

For me, at least so far, switching my DNS settings from Google's back to automatic, therefore Hughesnet's, has sped things up a bit.  I'm not receiving the "resolving host" delay anymore.  I'll see how it goes, but so far things are noticeably faster than when using Google's DNS.  Sort of the opposite of what one would think.  

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

It's probably a side-effect of the HT2000 being both a modem and router in combo with Hughesnet playing with DNS protocols to cache and speed things up as much as possible...  Regardless, sometimes the best settings are the default settings.