cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So far, so good, first three weeks.

New Poster

So far, so good, first three weeks.

So far, really good. I'm Northern Calif on beam 19, gateway 3. I have had a couple times where response was poor, turning off web accel cured it, later I turned it back on and all OK. I have had no issues with being able to get to where I need to involving on and off a corp. VPN. My installer ( Frank) was great, took his time and did what he was supposed to do. I have an open sky to the south at 2400 feet elevation, top of the hill with a garage roof to mount to. If it does fall into oblivion after 30 days I will be vocal, but I had Hughes ( Directway) for a few years about 5 years ago and it worked OK as well. I re-did that install and have the equip to dial a satellite in. It originally was a very poor install and I'm sure that is the base for many complaints. I really believe that if it is installed correctly and you understand what Satellite internet does and does not do, it should be a very workable solution. OK, I don't do games or watch video all day ( ha, my job is huge internet video infrastructure and digital asset management for a 120,000 employee company....) but I HAVE to be able to do my job remote about 50% of the time. Back-end systems and much "remote login" to systems that do the bandwidth for me as long as I can "see" the systems in the Bay Area. Like I said, if it goes south on day 31, I will be the most vocal user on this board. If it stays the way it is now, I'm a very satisfied customer.

Hughes. I'd love to see VPN acceleration support some day. I'd even buy the hardware for my end, just tell me which one you would support.

Stay tuned, I'll update often and help out when I can.

Jim P
3 REPLIES 3
Alum

Re: So far, so good, first three weeks.

Thanks Jim for the good news report. It's always nice to hear when things are going well! Smiley Surprised) -Rocky
Advanced Tutor

Hi Jim,

Encouraging to hear you're able to use VPN over Gen4. We're in Placerville, and same as you on Beam 19. It works for some of our customers and others, no.

Always looking for more information on this. Do you know what flavor of VPN your company is using?
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
New Poster

Yes. Cisco. The client is Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client, version 3.1.02026 utilizing DTLS. I use successfully the Cisco version 5 client as well. While not optimal, it does work. Download not bad ( approx. 700 and upload is awful, like 60. I also have an internet connection via Wireless ISP ( DigitalPath) and usually I have the VPN connected via that path. It can be down 10% of the time so the Sat works as a good backup. I also have the Sat connected to my non-business systems so this works out well. I'm just north of Lake Oroville between highway 70 and the North Fork of the river, just across from Bloomer Mtn.

Thanks Alan, Rocky.

Jim P