First, the good. I upgraded to the Gen4 on Friday, 2/5. So far, the speed has been wonderful. The Windows updates went very quickly, including the nearly 500mb update for my laptop, which hadn't been connected to the internet in nearly five months. I also just downloaded the ISO to upgrade my computers to Windows 10. With my old plan (Pro plan with 425mb per day allowance) it would have nearly the entire five hours of the "download zone" to download the file, but with this, it took less than a half hour (I did it during the bonus bytes time). Wonderful!
Now, the not so good. First of all, the status meter seems to be pretty much all but useless. It doesn't reflect what I've used consistently. Yesterday it was showing what I had used (it showed yesterday (Saturday), but what I had used on Friday afternoon and evening seemingly vanished), but today it is back to showing 15,000mb. HUH? In actuality I have used nearly a gig of "Anytime Data", but it isn't reflecting that. Nor is it on the System Control Center page. The only thing that is reflecting the correct usage are the daytime and bonus bytes graphs on the myhughesnet page, but of course, those don't give you an actual total. At least with my old plan I could check my usage and it was current within about 15 seconds.
Now the part that I hope the Hughesnet mods read.
To preface, I would like to say that the installers were nice guys who did a seemingly good job, though I will truly find out come spring, when my trees start growing their leaves, as I think the dish may be pointed low enough that they may interfere with the signal, though it won't cost me anything to move the dish as it would be considered a bad install. It seems that the dish is pointed lower in the sky than my original Hughesnet dish, and t was pointed just barely above the trees.
First, they were scheduled to come between 2pm and 5pm, but showed up at 10am, while I was still fast asleep (I was up late, and knew I would be, which prompted me to schedule it for when I did). I told them to give me a few minutes and they got to work on the outside part.
Secondly, you would also expect that, again, people representing your company would arrive in some sort of company vehicle, not a beat up, fifteen year old pickup truck.
Thirdly, you would think that people who are meant to represent your company (even though they are subcontracted, they still represent the company they are performing the work for) would be wearing some sort of attire that would show professionalism, such as, at the very least, a uniform shirt with the company logo, whether Hughesnet or their company, not something that looked like they were getting ready to go fishing for the weekend.
I had a couple of visits from a tech from DirecTV and one visit from a tech from Verizon last year, both for satellite TV problems and a home phone problem, respectively. Both techs showed up in a company vehicle, wearing a clean uniform shirt, and being generally presentable, as in clean shaven and such, not looking like they had been partying the night before and were still wearing the same clothes. The latter of my description was the Hughesnet installers representation.
As I said, with the exception of the aforementioned problem with being able to see my actual usage, I am thus far completely satisfied with my internet and its performance actually is somewhat exceeding what I expected.
But, the installation experience was definitely quite a bit less than what I expected, though again, they were nice guys and did a seemingly good job.
Hughesnet definitely has a little bit to learn when it comes to the professionalism of their installers, or at least the professionalism they expect of their subcontractors. It's definitely an area that needs considerable improvement.
The installation is finished (again, we'll see for sure in the spring), and I am now left with internet service that has been exemplary thus far. I hope it remains this way.
To add, over an hour ago I downloaded that Windows 10 upgrade file, which was a 3.02GB file, and both the status meter and the internet usage on the support page show I've used 9MB of the bonus bytes and still zero MB of my Anytime Data. Just a tad bit off, ya think?
No, I am using the new, downloaded status meter, which shows that I have used 0MB of Anytime Data, and now 64MB of Bonus Bytes. Also, when I go to the support center, the new one, not the one for the old system, but the one with the green and blue bars on the right, and says HT1100 system control center in blue, it shows the same thing as the status meter. 0MB of Anytime used and 64MB of Bonus Bytes used. It's the right one. Something is just VERY wrong in that it is not reflecting my proper data usage. The graph on the MY Hughesnet site, the one where you sign in, shows the correct usage, but a graph doesn't give the precise MB usage, nor an aggregate total.
I've also uninstalled the status meter, downloaded it again, and reinstalled it. Same thing. The support center page has my correct SAN and everything. I just don't get it.
I'm on Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit. The service itself is great. I just wish I could actually see what I've used and what I have left.
Actually, it just changed again. Here's a snapshot. I didn't stop it, start it, or anything else. It just suddenly changed to this.
Actually, interestingly enough, I checked on the usage in the support website, (it's the thing I was referring to as the "graph"), and that's not even right, though I suppose it may just need some time to reflect the actual usage. I downloaded a file that was 3.02Gb in the 2am to 3am time, and it shows that I downloaded 88MB, and then drops to just a few MBs in each of the few hours since then. VERY odd. I will check it again tomorrow to see if it is corrected. As for the 20 day thing, thanks for the info, as I was wondering why it was going back to full yesterday morning, then just a few minutes ago.