cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So many problems, I don't know where to start

So many problems, I don't know where to start

First, does Hughesnet actually have an IT development team working on their user interface and tools?  Several web pages I have visited crash, the monitor tool is a joke, bonus bytes are an insult.  I work in IT.  This would never be acceptable for implementation even for internal users.  Most of the time, when I try to go to the statistics tab in the monitor, I get a never ending spinning wheal.  Today after clicking on it repeatedly for a while, It came up but didn't show me anything past the end of December.  Until I extended the view to 2 weeks.  Then it showed me The first part of January followed by December.  Apparently they don't know how to sort dates and took the cheap way out and just sorted by month and day.  

Hughes net determines how many bytes are used, but their tools don't give you the ports, and times of the usage so you can find out what is using all of your bandwidth.  And waiting till 2:00 am to download large files is just ridiculous. And is that 2:00 eastern, central, pacific?  I set my alarm for 4:00 am central this morning, downloaded several DirecTv on-demand shows and verified they were finished downloading by 7am central. It used a good bit of my bonus bytes as anticipated, but apparently took a chunk out of my anytime bytes as well.  It all should have been under bonus bytes unless my timezone is wrong, or I got double billed.

I'm stuck in a 2 year contract, and right now Hughes Net is the only game in town unless I want a $500 a month T3.  
11 REPLIES 11
New Poster

Re: So many problems, I don't know where to start

Chip what version of the meter are you using, what OS are you using and what Hughes System do you have?
Advanced Tutor

Hi Chip,

Try Glasswire for a data use reporting tool. It will show usage by individual process and port.

The Bonus Bytes period is adjusted for time zone so yours should be set to 2 AM to 8 AM Central.

Try Internet Download Manager for a general purpose browser-integrated download tool.

I just checked my DIRECTV Genie and did not find how to schedule a recording for a Video On Demand show. There may be a way to do it but it wasn't obvious in the menu.

Did a bit of searching. Haven't tried this yet, and not sure if this will work for you or not: https://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4038/~/how-do-i-record-on-demand-movies-and-show...,
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com

Hey Chip

It's 2:00 your time zone.  If you log onto to the HughesNet support page http://my.hughesnet.com/ then click on the usage tab it gives you a hour by hour bar graph of both upload and download usage.

Mac - Yosemite - latest patches
Windows - 8 professional - not 8.1 patches up to date
I'm not sure how to answer which Hughes System I have, but it got installed in Mid December.

There is not a way to schedule recordings via directv at this time.  I set my alarm to wake myself up and selected the recordings I wanted so they would download during the bonus byte time.  That's a shortcoming of Directv, but one I plan to fix.  I joined their developer program and should be able to do something with their web services interface to get around it.
Advanced Tutor

That's a shortcoming of Directv, but one I plan to fix.  I joined their developer program and should be able to do something with their web services interface to get around it.
That would be great! Keep us all posted. I retail DIRECTV and HN, and I have a lot of customers that would benefit from that feature.
Advanced Tutor

Several web pages I have visited crash
Are these HughesNet pages that are crashing/ If so, can you list which ones?

That's much better Gary.  It would be nice if we could drill down to that level of detail at least in the monitor.  It would really be nice to have some type of port monitoring that could be turned on on the modem to allow us to capture protocols and ports at that location.  I have about 5 or 6 computers and TV's that may be hitting the internet from time to time, so installing software on each one and interrogating it on a system by system basis would be a bit of a pain.

I know what you mean I have 3 PCs all run Linux and networked that is why I use the usage tab in the support center or I check it by typing 192.168.0.1 in Mozilla but that is real general.