cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So slow - Useless

Highlighted

Re: So slow - Useless

Hello ncseamonkey59,

Welcome to our community! I see GabeU has already provided you some great steps to get started so I don't think I need to say much more than we'll wait for your speed tests and will do our best to help you. 

Thank you,

Amanda
Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

The new satellite is not a replacement but is instead an additional satellite of newer design and greater capacity. It is not yet in its final orbital position.
This will take a few weeks and would require a equipment upgrade over your present HN9000 modem and ODU.
Highlighted
Freshman

I have not had an opportunity to run the tests from the testmynet site, but I did just run 5 speed tests on the HughesNet site and the results are beyond ridiculous and unacceptable.  For the low low price of $123.84 a month, I get the following results on 12/21/2016 starting at 9:15 PM (EST) 

1)  1.22 download and 0.15 upload.
2)  0.59 download and 0.45 upload.
3)  0.50 download and 0.26 upload.
4)  0.92 download and 0.42 upload.
5)  0.76 download and 0.32 upload.

There is simply no way that Hughes can justify charging the price they charge for the above speeds.  I could not even watch a 0:0.6 second video clip on Facebook.  I hope to run the tests on the testmynet site tomorrow - though I don't see how that is going to change anything.  This all began when they changed my service without my consent or knowledge - it has been close to unusable at multiple times daily.
Highlighted

I have to agree , I'm not sure it's a Hughes only problem. Sat systems are the worst for latency and bottle necks, I had the same issues at times with exede. I just replaced my router with a tp- link archer c1900 with all new standards in it . But honestly I have had the slow downs with it direct connect as well. From 5-10 in my location even with a no throttle situation I'm lucky to get 1 Mbps down. Many times it's like your results less than 250 Kbps. Which is wack in this day and age truly. I'm curious to see if the web page and email will actually work @ a throttled back state. I'm in school and like you can't afford to be hampered with a no data state. Time will tell good luck in your search for answers. Chris
Spectator

When are you all going to fix this speed problem? Even during the FREE TIME (HN9000) it's ridiculous.

OS...Win7Pro
Browser: Chrome

I have done what was suggested 2 ways. From the HughesNet speed test & TestMyNet. Oh these are done during the FREE TIME from 2 AM - 7 AM EST for HN9000.

HughesNet Speed Tests:

TestMyNet Speed Tests: http://testmy.net/quickstats/Unicorn312

There are so many things about the way things are set up now that I just don't like. Token Bytes suck. I liked it when it was the old way when I used a token & it put me back to 50%. The way it is know still takes 2 days to completely refill. I don't like the new Webpage setup. Too complicated to find what I'm looking for at times. No wonder, I don't hardly ever go to your site unless I'm having problems. I DESPISE ALL OF IT.

Thanks,
Kimberly
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor I

Kimberly, if you would like the Hughesnet staff to address your issue, you may want to start a new post.  They like to have individual posts so they can address issues individually.
Highlighted
Freshman

I know that satellite internet is slower and I am okay with that.  And it is not slow ALL the time.  For example, on 12/22/2016 at 6:56 AM - the five tests were as follows:

27.89 download and 1.31 upload
27.31 download and 1.24 upload
26.06 download and 1.42 upload
27.08 download and 0.97 upload
21.44 download and 1/26 upload

I have had Hughes for many years now and I NEVER had this problem until they changed my service package a couple of months ago WITHOUT my knowledge or consent.  Since then - there are times of the day when it is pretty much unusable.
Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

While you have alluded several times to having your plan changed without your knowledge or authorization you have never provided any details as to when this occurred and changed from "what" to "to".

Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Are the above speeds in Mbps? If so then those are very good actually.

Would also help to post a link to the results or a screen snip.
Highlighted
Freshman

I will have to find the details of when my plan was changed and to what.  My old plan apparently no longer is offered.  I called in one day to talk to someone about what I needed to do to discontinue my service.  I was considering trying another service and was not sure what I needed to do to cancel with Hughes.  The girl directed me to another department and they offered me a discount on my bill for 6 months if I would remain with Hughes.  I decided to do this, as I had always been fairly satisfied with my service even though I have always thought it was ridiculously high - $123.84. Granted, I do have the Express Repair service included in that price.  Imagine my surprise a couple of weeks later when my bank account was autodrafted, not the around $100 I expected with the discount, but $183 and some change.  I called immediately and was told that I had been given a $20 discount, but my service had also been "upgraded" to a higher priced plan and that my old plan was no longer available and I could not be switched back.  I have tried 3 different plans since then trying to find something comparable to my old plan (Not monetarily, but performance-wise) to no avail.  

Yes, the last speeds I posted are good and I am not complaining about that - What I AM complaining about are the other speeds I recorded and posted at a different day and time...which are as below....

1)  1.22 download and 0.15 upload.
2)  0.59 download and 0.45 upload.
3)  0.50 download and 0.26 upload.
4)  0.92 download and 0.42 upload.
5)  0.76 download and 0.32 upload.

As of now, I am not sure exactly WHAT my plan is right now because it has been switched 3 times in the past 2-3 months.  What I DO know, however, is that these speeds posted in this posting is NOT acceptable regardless of the plan I have.