So slow - Useless

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ncseamonkey59
Sophomore

So slow - Useless

I have had HughesNet for years.  I live in the country and it is my only option for internet service.  It has always been slow (for what they charge), but I have been mostly satisfied with it until the last few weeks or so, and has become pretty much useless at certain times of the day.  I work from home, and always have, and have never had the problem where it was so slow that I actually have to log out from work because it is so slow and pretty much useless.  

I did some speed tests here on the Hughes site at different times for the last 3-4 days.  I got speeds as high as 25.94 on the download speeds and 1.39 on the upload speeds at 9:28 AM (EST), but at 5:12 PM, download speeds were as low as 1.00 and uploads as low as 0.12,  This is unacceptable for what I pay.  And no, my usage is far from reaching the max: I just checked and I still have 83% anytime left and 97% bonus bytes left . 

This is beyond unacceptable.  There has to be something that somebody can do - if nothing else, lower the price to be comparable to the service we actually receive. 
69 REPLIES 69
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

ncseamonkey59,

In order for the Reps to be able to address your speed issues, they will first need some tests to be performed.  I know you've already done a few of Hughesnet's own speed test, but their test can be a little wonky at times and the information given by the results is limited.  They ask that you perform some speed tests at http://testmy.net.  The following is the protocol for those tests...

Create an account at testmy.net if you haven't already.  While signed into that account, and using a single device connected directly to the modem with a LAN cable,  NO ROUTER perform a batch of five download tests using the manual 12MB test size Space each test at least five minutes apart.  If possible, run a batch of tests a few times a day, preferably in the morning, afternoon and evening.  If you can't do a batch during those times, that's okay.  The important thing is to try to get some tests from different times to be able to tell when the slowdowns are happening and when they are not.  This info helps them in determining what the problem could be.

After you've run some tests, post your Results page URL so the tests can be looked at.   While signed in at testmy.net click on "Results". Then, while on your Results page, copy the URL and paste it into a post on here. It will look like the link below, but with your testmy account user name where it says yourusername.  

http://testmy.net/quickstats/[yourusername]

ncseamonkey59
Sophomore

I will do this.  This does NOT count towards my data limit, correct?  I also have a bit of a different circumstance.  My service was changed without my knowledge or consent.  I have had nothing but problems since that time.
ncseamonkey59
Sophomore

I just reread this.  I actually don't have 30+ minutes to spend multiple times a day running download tests.  I work during the day and I would have to stop, unplug the router, plug into another computer, take 25 minutes to run 5 tests 5 minutes apart, then replug it all back in and get back to work.  This is just no practical for those of us who work.  There must a better way - one that does not cost me even more money than I am spending now on HughesNet.
GabeU

The router must be eliminated during the tests as routers themselves can cause speed issues due to multiple reasons.  

As I stated in the post, if you can't run them at the suggested times of the day, run them at other times.  The important thing is to get some tests.   Without the speed tests, the reps will have nothing to go on.  For speed problems, this is the process.   

Lastly, most often the Reps will reimburse you for running the speed tests.  They can't give you any tokens right now as they aren't on, but will be back tomorrow around 8AM EST.  If you don't have enough data to run some tests now, wait until tomorrow and they should give you some to run them.   Either way, though, they are going to need some tests to help you. 

GabeU

Also, you can set the site to automate the five tests each time you do them.  Set it like it is in the picture below, with Download selected, the size (12MB), how often (every five minutes)  and number of times (five), and check the nfw box, then click Start Automatic Test.  It will run the five tests on it's own.  Make sure to be signed in to the account you create when running the tests, too.   

ncseamonkey59
Sophomore

Thank you GabeU.  The problem is not the data, I actually have plenty - I rarely use it.  The problem is the speed and it is NOT the router.  This is the first thing they want to blame it on - just like everybody else wants to blame issues on "your internet provider."  This happened when they changed my plan without my knowledge or consent.  Until then, I was pretty satisfied.  I have always felt it was way too pricey for what you get, but I was able to work and I just considered it "gas money" since I do not have to commute.  

The problem also is not setting the test to run on automatic - the problem is I cannot take at least 30 minutes multiple times daily to run speed test.  I already missed an over an hour of work today because HughesNet was so slow I could not even pull work from our server.  Then you have the lovely experience of dealing with tech support when you call - listening to the lady tell you make sure you don't have anything blocking your DISH - is it raining? - is it plugged in, etc.  Then, the fun begins - talking to the ESL tech support that just wants you to unplug and do this and do that.  

Sorry - I don't mean to negative, but I am just really tired of the BS of it all.  Tired of paying for a service that I don't get.
GabeU

I can understand the frustration.  It not that anyone is blaming the router, it's just that it can cause problems with getting a baseline speed.  It's eliminated in case it is, which sometimes it is.  Is yours?  I have no idea, and neither do they, at this point. 

Again, you don't have to run the tests at those times mentioned.  If you can only run some tests in the evening, then do that.  It's not that they don't believe someone when they say they are getting slow speeds, it's just that they have to have some info to go off of, and speed tests give them that info.  The tests at testmy.net also give them a LOT more info than just the speed alone, which can help them in determining what is causing the problem.   

Again, I understand your frustration. 

Also, and this is just my opinion, from now on I would deal with the official reps on here.  They are at the corporate level in Maryland, not at a cubicle somewhere in the Philippines.  They have more tools available to them, including access to the engineers, when a problem needs to be fixed.  They also have a LOT more knowledge than the phone reps.  And again, this is my opinion, but they can help you MUCH better than the phone reps.  The only drawback is that they are only on here from about 8AM to 5PM EST M-F, not 24/7 like the online reps.  With that said, I'm sure a rep will reply tomorrow.    

ncseamonkey59
Sophomore

Thank you for your reply GabeU - and I am glad that you understand the frustration.  I understand about the router.  I guess it is just that every time you call tech support that is their first solution to any problem you have - "it must be the router."  It just gets old to hear the same nonsense over and over when you are pretty sure that is not the problem.  In this case, I still say it is not the problem since I can pretty much pinpoint when the problem started.  

I will try to get some readings tomorrow and post.

Thank you again for your help and understanding.  I really do appreciate it when so many are rude and nasty.

Have a good evening and I look forward to hearing from the rep tomorrow.
GabeU

You're very welcome, and I hope that a solution can be discovered quickly. 
Amanda

Hello ncseamonkey59,

Welcome to our community! I see GabeU has already provided you some great steps to get started so I don't think I need to say much more than we'll wait for your speed tests and will do our best to help you. 

Thank you,

Amanda
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

The new satellite is not a replacement but is instead an additional satellite of newer design and greater capacity. It is not yet in its final orbital position.
This will take a few weeks and would require a equipment upgrade over your present HN9000 modem and ODU.
ncseamonkey59
Sophomore

I have not had an opportunity to run the tests from the testmynet site, but I did just run 5 speed tests on the HughesNet site and the results are beyond ridiculous and unacceptable.  For the low low price of $123.84 a month, I get the following results on 12/21/2016 starting at 9:15 PM (EST) 

1)  1.22 download and 0.15 upload.
2)  0.59 download and 0.45 upload.
3)  0.50 download and 0.26 upload.
4)  0.92 download and 0.42 upload.
5)  0.76 download and 0.32 upload.

There is simply no way that Hughes can justify charging the price they charge for the above speeds.  I could not even watch a 0:0.6 second video clip on Facebook.  I hope to run the tests on the testmynet site tomorrow - though I don't see how that is going to change anything.  This all began when they changed my service without my consent or knowledge - it has been close to unusable at multiple times daily.
cmac1031

I have to agree , I'm not sure it's a Hughes only problem. Sat systems are the worst for latency and bottle necks, I had the same issues at times with exede. I just replaced my router with a tp- link archer c1900 with all new standards in it . But honestly I have had the slow downs with it direct connect as well. From 5-10 in my location even with a no throttle situation I'm lucky to get 1 Mbps down. Many times it's like your results less than 250 Kbps. Which is wack in this day and age truly. I'm curious to see if the web page and email will actually work @ a throttled back state. I'm in school and like you can't afford to be hampered with a no data state. Time will tell good luck in your search for answers. Chris
Kimberly
New Poster

When are you all going to fix this speed problem? Even during the FREE TIME (HN9000) it's ridiculous.

OS...Win7Pro
Browser: Chrome

I have done what was suggested 2 ways. From the HughesNet speed test & TestMyNet. Oh these are done during the FREE TIME from 2 AM - 7 AM EST for HN9000.

HughesNet Speed Tests:

TestMyNet Speed Tests: http://testmy.net/quickstats/Unicorn312

There are so many things about the way things are set up now that I just don't like. Token Bytes suck. I liked it when it was the old way when I used a token & it put me back to 50%. The way it is know still takes 2 days to completely refill. I don't like the new Webpage setup. Too complicated to find what I'm looking for at times. No wonder, I don't hardly ever go to your site unless I'm having problems. I DESPISE ALL OF IT.

Thanks,
Kimberly
maratsade

Kimberly, if you would like the Hughesnet staff to address your issue, you may want to start a new post.  They like to have individual posts so they can address issues individually.
ncseamonkey59
Sophomore

I know that satellite internet is slower and I am okay with that.  And it is not slow ALL the time.  For example, on 12/22/2016 at 6:56 AM - the five tests were as follows:

27.89 download and 1.31 upload
27.31 download and 1.24 upload
26.06 download and 1.42 upload
27.08 download and 0.97 upload
21.44 download and 1/26 upload

I have had Hughes for many years now and I NEVER had this problem until they changed my service package a couple of months ago WITHOUT my knowledge or consent.  Since then - there are times of the day when it is pretty much unusable.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

While you have alluded several times to having your plan changed without your knowledge or authorization you have never provided any details as to when this occurred and changed from "what" to "to".

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Are the above speeds in Mbps? If so then those are very good actually.

Would also help to post a link to the results or a screen snip.
ncseamonkey59
Sophomore

I will have to find the details of when my plan was changed and to what.  My old plan apparently no longer is offered.  I called in one day to talk to someone about what I needed to do to discontinue my service.  I was considering trying another service and was not sure what I needed to do to cancel with Hughes.  The girl directed me to another department and they offered me a discount on my bill for 6 months if I would remain with Hughes.  I decided to do this, as I had always been fairly satisfied with my service even though I have always thought it was ridiculously high - $123.84. Granted, I do have the Express Repair service included in that price.  Imagine my surprise a couple of weeks later when my bank account was autodrafted, not the around $100 I expected with the discount, but $183 and some change.  I called immediately and was told that I had been given a $20 discount, but my service had also been "upgraded" to a higher priced plan and that my old plan was no longer available and I could not be switched back.  I have tried 3 different plans since then trying to find something comparable to my old plan (Not monetarily, but performance-wise) to no avail.  

Yes, the last speeds I posted are good and I am not complaining about that - What I AM complaining about are the other speeds I recorded and posted at a different day and time...which are as below....

1)  1.22 download and 0.15 upload.
2)  0.59 download and 0.45 upload.
3)  0.50 download and 0.26 upload.
4)  0.92 download and 0.42 upload.
5)  0.76 download and 0.32 upload.

As of now, I am not sure exactly WHAT my plan is right now because it has been switched 3 times in the past 2-3 months.  What I DO know, however, is that these speeds posted in this posting is NOT acceptable regardless of the plan I have.  
ncseamonkey59
Sophomore

I actually do wonder how people are supposed to be able to watch "streaming" with HughesNet as advertised?  I can't even watch a 13 second video snippet on Facebook !!!  I can only imagine the horror of trying to watch a half-hour or hour television program or, God forbid, an 2 hour movie.

Sarcasm aside, how can they advertise that you can do this stuff with HughesNet when it is very obvious that you cannot?