cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So slow - Useless

ncseamonkey59
Freshman

Re: So slow - Useless

I actually do wonder how people are supposed to be able to watch "streaming" with HughesNet as advertised?  I can't even watch a 13 second video snippet on Facebook !!!  I can only imagine the horror of trying to watch a half-hour or hour television program or, God forbid, an 2 hour movie.

Sarcasm aside, how can they advertise that you can do this stuff with HughesNet when it is very obvious that you cannot?
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

All I know is I can and many others can. But I also admit I don't know what is causing your problem. So a blanket statement that none of HughesNet customers can stream video is simply wrong. My wife and I stream Netflix and YouTube frequently at standard or low definition.

We are able to do so usually even during peak time.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

My system streams video without issue.

You do however have to look at the overall "network load" your connected devices are doing.

A satellite connection will not have the same abilities as a ground based connection. Much of your bandwidth may possibly be going up in smoke due to concurrent connections by other programs, processes or devices.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Believe it or not BirdDog, while I have no issues streaming, my mother does...  Never could figure out why she has issues streaming seeing as we are on the same network.  I went as far as wiring her room with Cat6a STP and still am baffled... 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

That is strange. Customer hardware capabilities can also effect streaming but I'm sure you know that already. Same satellite Outroute ID?
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Yeup yeup, like I said, she's on the same network, goes through the same everything I do.  It's just something I have never figured out, but it's certainly something specific to her computer because doing network tests, even though shes connected at 1Gbps, she can't break above about 450Mbps to my server, yet all other machines can.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Lots of articles on tweaking hardware and software for video streaming like this one: http://www.tutorialized.com/tutorial/Slow-Video-Streaming:-How-to-Fix/35456

Just trying to give you another avenue to check out maybe haven't looked into yet. (Or others reading this)
ncseamonkey59
Freshman

Let me revise my statement - MOST HughesNet customers are unable to stream television programs or movies as advertised.

I also will say that I do not, nor have I ever had just the basic package - my bill has been $123.84 a month for years.

I do find it quite interesting that those of you that have responded that you have no problems with streaming are all a "Champion" of Hughes.  I am not sure exactly what that means, just that you are somehow affiliated with Hughes.  

It It does not matter what I have or don't have connected or running - I could not stream anything if my life depended on it.  Tried it a few times a few years ago.  Tried to watch a 1/2 hour episode of The Office - all it did was use all my time and I had to buy tokens to get back to normal operating speed - and was not able to watch the 1/2 hour show.  As mentioned previously, I could not even watch a 6 second video on Facebook the other night.  

However, I would like to hear from other Hughes users who are NOT affiliated in any way with Hughes - but who are just regular customers like me - regarding their successful streaming capabilities.  I somehow don't think we will hear from many of them. 

As I mentioned before, I am a long time Hughes customer and I have been satisfied with my service for the most part - up until the last few months.  I don't need the streaming stuff - we watch television - and we don't play games.  But the latest performance is totally unacceptable.  And after all the countless time spent running this test and that test 3 or 4 times a day 5 minutes apart, there are still no answers.  When is Hughes actually going to DO anything about these issues besides submit the autodraft to the my bank for payment each month?  

In reading these boards it is more than apparent that there are many, many customers who are having the same problem.  So when is Hughes going to step up to the plate and deal with these problems?  They either need to fix the problem or cut their monthly rates to a price that is more in keeping with the service that we are actually getting.  
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

"Tried to watch a 1/2 hour episode of The Office - all it did was use all my time and I had to buy tokens to get back to normal operating speed - "

Then you are streaming at too high a definition.

"Let me revise my statement - MOST HughesNet customers are unable to stream television programs or movies as advertised."

Not true either, HughesNet has 1 million plus customers. Those posting here are a very small fraction.

"I do find it quite interesting that those of you that have responded that you have no problems with streaming are all a "Champion" of Hughes.  I am not sure exactly what that means, just that you are somehow affiliated with Hughes. "

Not affiliated in any way other than being long time customers with experience on how to tweak the system and personal computers to get the most from it.