So slow - Useless

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ncseamonkey59
Sophomore

So slow - Useless

I have had HughesNet for years.  I live in the country and it is my only option for internet service.  It has always been slow (for what they charge), but I have been mostly satisfied with it until the last few weeks or so, and has become pretty much useless at certain times of the day.  I work from home, and always have, and have never had the problem where it was so slow that I actually have to log out from work because it is so slow and pretty much useless.  

I did some speed tests here on the Hughes site at different times for the last 3-4 days.  I got speeds as high as 25.94 on the download speeds and 1.39 on the upload speeds at 9:28 AM (EST), but at 5:12 PM, download speeds were as low as 1.00 and uploads as low as 0.12,  This is unacceptable for what I pay.  And no, my usage is far from reaching the max: I just checked and I still have 83% anytime left and 97% bonus bytes left . 

This is beyond unacceptable.  There has to be something that somebody can do - if nothing else, lower the price to be comparable to the service we actually receive. 
69 REPLIES 69
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

All I know is I can and many others can. But I also admit I don't know what is causing your problem. So a blanket statement that none of HughesNet customers can stream video is simply wrong. My wife and I stream Netflix and YouTube frequently at standard or low definition.

We are able to do so usually even during peak time.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

My system streams video without issue.

You do however have to look at the overall "network load" your connected devices are doing.

A satellite connection will not have the same abilities as a ground based connection. Much of your bandwidth may possibly be going up in smoke due to concurrent connections by other programs, processes or devices.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Believe it or not BirdDog, while I have no issues streaming, my mother does...  Never could figure out why she has issues streaming seeing as we are on the same network.  I went as far as wiring her room with Cat6a STP and still am baffled... 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

That is strange. Customer hardware capabilities can also effect streaming but I'm sure you know that already. Same satellite Outroute ID?
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Yeup yeup, like I said, she's on the same network, goes through the same everything I do.  It's just something I have never figured out, but it's certainly something specific to her computer because doing network tests, even though shes connected at 1Gbps, she can't break above about 450Mbps to my server, yet all other machines can.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Lots of articles on tweaking hardware and software for video streaming like this one: http://www.tutorialized.com/tutorial/Slow-Video-Streaming:-How-to-Fix/35456

Just trying to give you another avenue to check out maybe haven't looked into yet. (Or others reading this)
ncseamonkey59
Sophomore

Let me revise my statement - MOST HughesNet customers are unable to stream television programs or movies as advertised.

I also will say that I do not, nor have I ever had just the basic package - my bill has been $123.84 a month for years.

I do find it quite interesting that those of you that have responded that you have no problems with streaming are all a "Champion" of Hughes.  I am not sure exactly what that means, just that you are somehow affiliated with Hughes.  

It It does not matter what I have or don't have connected or running - I could not stream anything if my life depended on it.  Tried it a few times a few years ago.  Tried to watch a 1/2 hour episode of The Office - all it did was use all my time and I had to buy tokens to get back to normal operating speed - and was not able to watch the 1/2 hour show.  As mentioned previously, I could not even watch a 6 second video on Facebook the other night.  

However, I would like to hear from other Hughes users who are NOT affiliated in any way with Hughes - but who are just regular customers like me - regarding their successful streaming capabilities.  I somehow don't think we will hear from many of them. 

As I mentioned before, I am a long time Hughes customer and I have been satisfied with my service for the most part - up until the last few months.  I don't need the streaming stuff - we watch television - and we don't play games.  But the latest performance is totally unacceptable.  And after all the countless time spent running this test and that test 3 or 4 times a day 5 minutes apart, there are still no answers.  When is Hughes actually going to DO anything about these issues besides submit the autodraft to the my bank for payment each month?  

In reading these boards it is more than apparent that there are many, many customers who are having the same problem.  So when is Hughes going to step up to the plate and deal with these problems?  They either need to fix the problem or cut their monthly rates to a price that is more in keeping with the service that we are actually getting.  
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

"Tried to watch a 1/2 hour episode of The Office - all it did was use all my time and I had to buy tokens to get back to normal operating speed - "

Then you are streaming at too high a definition.

"Let me revise my statement - MOST HughesNet customers are unable to stream television programs or movies as advertised."

Not true either, HughesNet has 1 million plus customers. Those posting here are a very small fraction.

"I do find it quite interesting that those of you that have responded that you have no problems with streaming are all a "Champion" of Hughes.  I am not sure exactly what that means, just that you are somehow affiliated with Hughes. "

Not affiliated in any way other than being long time customers with experience on how to tweak the system and personal computers to get the most from it.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

There are many issues regarding speeds for many...  Speeds are not guaranteed, they are always advertised as UPTO, but, Hughesnet does try their best to ensure a minimum speed for everyone.  Sometimes however, that isn't possible due to network congestion.  Back when Spaceway3 was the only Hughesnet owned bird in the sky, and the maximum plan was about 2.0Mbps, people would frequently see 0.4 and 0.5 due to congestion at 9PM...  Not saying you are on a congested beam/gateway, but it's possible, and they may be trying to figure out how to balance the load out to get better speeds overall for users on your beam.  As you have noticed, during non-peak hours, you do get incredible speeds.

No, I am not saying you do not have a legitimate issue, but, it may take time, if not a new satellite to alleviate some peoples speed issues.
mdhobbs

I believe HughesNet has oversold its capacity, misrepresented it’s capabilities and surrounded itself with quasi-professionals loyal to Hughes. Don’t know if these quasi-professionals are compensated/comped their subscriptions or they are just addicted to criticizing and ridiculing other customers. Hughes will not assume responsibility for their inferior service but will invite the likes of these shade-tree wizards to run interference for them.  

One should not have to have an IT degree to to utilize the service HughesNet advertises. It really is just that simple.

Not knowing where you are located or if you would even be interested but there is another option developing, called Wi-Power. It might work as an alternative. 1-877-877-6861. Hughes is certainly not concerned with customer satisfaction. 
ncseamonkey59
Sophomore

Then they should adjust their prices accordingly.  It is not the customer's fault that there is network congestion.  It is not the customer's fault that they are on a congested gateway.  Saying a person gets UP TO 15 and UP TO and then get the following speeds a majority of the time is in no way honest or right.  

1)  1.22 download and 0.15 upload.
2)  0.59 download and 0.45 upload.
3)  0.50 download and 0.26 upload.
4)  0.92 download and 0.42 upload.
5)  0.76 download and 0.32 upload.

I just want what I pay for.  If they need to put a new satellite, which I hear is coming, in place to alleviate their customer's issues - then they need to cut the rates until they get it fixed.  This is called stealing in the regular world.
ncseamonkey59
Sophomore

I agree with you mdhobbs.  It should not be at the consumer's expense that Hughes has oversold and/or overburdened their satellites.  I have paid the price of $123.84 a month without complaint for years - but now that they changed my service without my consent or knowledge - my service sucks !!  So, yes, NOW I am complaining because I feel I have a right to.  If I got this service for free than I would have no right to complain !! But when I pay for this crappy service, I have every right to complaint and voice my opinion.  I do not mind somebody responding to my posts that are not an affiliate of Hughes, but I don't like being told stuff that is NOT helpful.  I KNOW that satellite speeds and performance differs from cable or other ground internet services.  I KNOW there is a delay and latency.  I KNOW these things and stating this same garbage to every person that gripes gets old.  I am not asking for EXCUSES - I want a resolution.  I pay for that every single month.
mdhobbs

That is exactly the crux of most of the customer complaints! And then, rather than being able to engage a HughesNet employee on these issues, we are subjected to the endless barrage of garbage from the shade-tree wizards, extolling our ignorance of how the system functions! Geez....HughesNet puts out the advertisements on performance and then makes the empty promises. 
ncseamonkey59
Sophomore

And forget trying to call the tech support - then we have to listen to the recorded woman ask us if it raining, is there something blocking the dish is it plugged in, etc.  Then we get the person who claims his name is "JOHN" or some other such nonsense who is clearly NOT in the US and trying to understand them and get them to understand us is such a chore that I usually just hang up.  Just so frustrating.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

It's odd, but I often have a difficult time watching something on YouTube without constant buffering, and this is during the middle of the day when my speed is at least in the mid 20s.  I'll watch the progress bar, and it'll move a little bit ahead, then stop, then move a little ahead, then stop, often never making it more than a few seconds ahead of what is presently playing, which makes zero sense.  This often happens even after the resolution drops to 144p.  I already have it set up to always play videos in a lower resolution, so it never starts higher than 360p.  

Now, if I go to play the same video at 4am, when my speeds are practically the same, the progress bar will zip across to the end and I will have no problem.

I suspect it has to do with the fact that the high speeds during the early morning are much smoother, in that the middle variance on the speed test is low and the graph bar is fairly even, whereas the tests during the middle of the day, or even the evening when my speeds are good, have a middle variance that is high and a graph bar that is all over the place. 

Amanda

Hi Kimberly, even though the TestMy.net tests aren't the right file size, those speeds are great for someone on an HN9000, as the fastest download speeds we offer are up to 5Mbps. As maratsade mentions, it would be best if you could make a new post so we can help address your concerns directly.

Thank you.
Amanda

Hello ncseamonkey59,

Thank you for working with us on this. Do you have the link to your testmy.net results? It is like the one posted by Kimberly in the comment above.

Also I am seeing from your account notes you have already been working with someone in our corporate office on and off for the past three years, who has also been giving you discounts and working with you on these concerns. He also moved you to the Ultra plan at $89.99/month and gave you his direct line if you had any concerns about the service, back in November. I don't see any notes past 11/22/16 - were you ever in touch again?

Amanda
ncseamonkey59
Sophomore

Yes, I have been in touch.  I called and left a message for him and he is out of the office until tomorrow, 01/03/2016, I believe.  I do not have the test results because i have not done them.  I appreciate his help so much - he has been a lifesaver, but discounts don't help when the service is so slow that it is difficult to do your work.  Yes, he also moved me to another plan, which has not helped.  As i mentioned in my original post, I had a plan that I was happy with for most of the time I have had Hughes.  When the girl switched my plan without my consent and knowledge a few months back, that is when the trouble really began.  Since that time, the service is so slow that I have a hard time doing my job.  I will be getting in touch with him tomorrow.  I posted this message because he was out of the office for quite a while and I was beyond frustrated !!
ncseamonkey59
Sophomore

Today, 1-4-2017 - at 6:41 PM EST - so slow that I was unable to work - kept timing out.  I did a speed test here on the Hughes site - took about 5 minutes to even get there - my speed is 0.13 download and 0.63 upload.  I have 99% of my anytime allowance.  In what world is it fair to charge $100 a month for this?  I am beyond frustrated right now.
curtis-m
Sophomore

So you've been working on a solution for a couple of weeks but have no satisfaction. The HN people and the thread hijackers will just string you along until you get tired and give up. This is what most people do.