cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So slow - Useless

ncseamonkey59
Freshman

Re: So slow - Useless

Today, 1-4-2017 - at 6:41 PM EST - so slow that I was unable to work - kept timing out.  I did a speed test here on the Hughes site - took about 5 minutes to even get there - my speed is 0.13 download and 0.63 upload.  I have 99% of my anytime allowance.  In what world is it fair to charge $100 a month for this?  I am beyond frustrated right now.
curtis-m
Sophomore

So you've been working on a solution for a couple of weeks but have no satisfaction. The HN people and the thread hijackers will just string you along until you get tired and give up. This is what most people do.
ncseamonkey59
Freshman

I'm not most people Smiley Happy
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

He also moved you to the Ultra plan at $89.99/month and gave you his direct line if you had any concerns about the service, back in November. I don't see any notes past 11/22/16 - were you ever in touch again?
thomflan
New Poster

GabeU,

I have noticed the same thing, Youtube videos play with minimal buffering early in the morning but by 3 pm on weekdays and 10 or 11 am on weekends it is an exercise in frustration trying to watch a video. Doing a speed test would show that I should not have a problem since the test would be 12 to 18 mbs. I just assumed that Hughes net was just fudging the results of the tests. I have never had this problem with another internet provider before. I have never come close to using all my bytes in a month just because when I have the most time to use the internet it is to slow to be useful.

I do not know if your explanation is correct but it is very frustrating if 12 mbs means something different at different times of the day.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

thomflan,

After wracking my head trying to figure out what would cause it, this is the only thing I could come up with.  The required speed is certainly there at the given time I would try to watch a video, but the "choppiness" of that speed seems to be the only thing different between the two times.  I can understand it, with more people being online during those times, and those small downloads and page openings and such that tens of thousands more people being on the system create during those times would surely create the choppiness, but I was surprised to find out it mattered so much.  I figured speed was speed, and as long as it was fast enough, it shouldn't be a problem. 

This, of course, is only a theory, but it's the only thing I can think of that's any different between the two times.  That is, unless, YouTube is affected by the sun.  LOL. 

Then again, Windows updates doesn't seem to like satellite internet, either.  I think their problem, though, may be related to the latency.  I can download an entire Linux Mint installation file of 1.5GB in around ten minutes or so during off peak times of the day, but a 300MB Windows update takes hours and hours. 

To add, I can't really blame Hughesnet for either of these, but more satellite internet in general and the lack of available ground based alternatives in my, and I'm sure your, area.  But, such is life.  In the scheme of things, it's not all that important. 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Amanda

Hi ncseamonkey59,

I would really like to see what the results are from testmy.net using the instructions above for the manual 12MB test so I can have some backup data to send to engineering (see GabeU's first post). They will ask me for it so it is best we have it ahead of time.

I know you're frustrated and this has been an ongoing issue, but I really do want to help, only I really need those results to move forward. I will try to dig through the cases in your account and see which agent changed your plan. 

Thank you
Amanda
ncseamonkey59
Freshman

I am trying to figure out the point of your post Corrosive?  

If you read my post above - you will see that I have been TRYING to be in touch but no return call - I have called 4 times starting on 12/19 and the last call being yesterday evening.  

So again - what is the point of your post?????  Just to be obnoxious?  

I also do want to add that if you cannot even navigate the internet because your service is so slow, all the discounts in the world are worthless !!
ncseamonkey59
Freshman

I believe the plan was changed on 10/03/2016.  I am not 100% sure of that.  The problem, Amanda, is time !!  I have to unplug everything and plug into the computer. Run the tests - which takes a good 30+ minutes - and probably a LOT longer with it running at only 0.13 download and 0.63 upload speeds - then hook everything back up again.  I could not even get to the Hughes Net home page last night because it was so slow and timed out.  I will try to get those tests done this weekend, though.
ncseamonkey59
Freshman

I would also like to ask why Hughes Net allows some of these "Champions" to participate in this community and continue to be rude and obnoxious to customers on a very regular basis.  I do not believe for a second that they are not compensated by Hughes Net in some way for their participation in this forum.  Otherwise, they would not sit here and comment on nearly every posting.  While some of them are very helpful and nice (GabeU) for example.  Then we have others who are just rude and obnoxious and contribute nothing meaningful or helpful - see post above.