cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some more data saving tips

Sophomore

Some more data saving tips

I have a few tips I would like to offer for saving data. An added benefit is that they will help you protect your privacy!

Many most websites have built-in trackers that not only record a ton of unnecessary user data (and are connected to the targeted ad business), but also cause more data to be loaded using your connection. Fortunately, there are ways to combat that!

1. uBlock Origin takes adblocking to the next level. By blocking ads and trackers it can give a cleaner, faster, and more private browsing experience. Learn more here: https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/blob/master/README.md
  2. Other tracker blockers include DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials (also a mobile browser), Ghostery, Disconnect, and Privacy Badger.
  3. If you have an Android device, Blockada is a system-wide adblocker that causes ads to be redirected so they cannot load.
  4. The Firefox web browser has a built-in tracking protection system. Learn more here!

I hope this helps!

10 REPLIES
Highlighted

Re: Some more data saving tips

Hi infinitytec,

Thank you for sharing your suggestions for data conservation! This is great; I use uBlock Origin myself, haven't gotten around yet to getting an adblocker for my phone, so I'll look into Blockada. Thanks again!

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Distinguished Professor I

I've used uBlock Origin and Adblock Plus.  They both work well.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Assistant Professor

I use AdBlock. 

Instructor

Just need to be careful. I use Adblock Plus and it works in most situations, plus it's configurable. Other things work too good (e.g., Flash Block and Disable HTML5 Autoplay) and block things that they really shouldn't. I've run into that several times and ended up having to disable them.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Sophomore

@GabeU

I would ditch Adblock Plus. I used to use it and uBlock Origin at the same time, but really all Adblock Plus can do uBlock Origin does better, with less resource strain.

@maratsade

uBlock Origin will probably run better on your computer. It's designed to be light on rexources. It should block the same or better than AdBlock.

Assistant Professor

I've been using Adblock for a long time and it works fine for me -- I've never encountered a problem.  I used to use Flashblock too.  I think that's no longer available, right?

@infinitytec

I used to use them together, as well, but went back to using Adblock Plus on it's own, with no issues.  I had also tried uBlock Origin on it's own, but I saw no difference between the two, personally, so I went back with what I'm used to and what works well for me.  

One I definitely DID have issues with was AdBlocker Ultimate.  Was giving me random black blocks on various web pages.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

@MarkJFine

I tend to watch web pages like a hawk, so I haven't used Flash Block or Disable HTML5 Autoplay.  With that said, I just went to find them to add them, just in case.  Unfortunately, the former doesn't seem to be available for Chrome, while the latter is now unmaintained and, apparently, infected.  Smiley Sad  

If I really want to read a webpage that includes video that can't be turned off, I reach over and disconnect the LAN cable after the word article is loaded.  Smiley Tongue  

Sophomore

@GabeU

I recommend against ABP because of its a) higher resource use of ABP (as verified by numerous third parties), better blocking (uBo has a great picker tool!), and business model. Whereas uBlock Origin is open source and refuses donations, Adblock Plus accepts donations and receives funding from companies joining their "acceptable advertising list." Yes, it can be disabled, but if it is not it still will cause ads to show.