Something is messing with my HughesNet Usage Meter

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kitnbob
Tutor

Something is messing with my HughesNet Usage Meter

I knew I was using a lot of Data this period, however I was noticing some extreme reports from the HughesNet Usage meter app.

While comparing reports from  "my.hhughesnet.co/--->Usage" to the Usage meter, the reports were consistant. Web page statistics for UsageWeb page statistics for Usage

The HughesNet Usage meter showed similar usage.Yep! I'm out of dataYep! I'm out of data

But THIS is unusal behavior for the HughesNet Usage Meter

Something is messing With my Usage.I dont think I bought any more tokens.I dont think I bought any more tokens.

I dont reset for another 9 days.

This aint right.  Smiley Wink

32 REPLIES 32
MarkJFine
Professor

Sometimes the meter registers the wrong cycle starting date. For me, it usually shows it starting a day before as the worst case. I've never seen it go off by 11 days like that, assuming your cycle does in fact start on the 2nd.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

@MarkJFine wrote:

I've never seen it go off by 11 days like that, assuming your cycle does in fact start on the 2nd.

Not only that,  you might notice that I have only a 20GB plan.

When the graph mis-cycled, it doubled everything.  I did not start with 40GB.

I suspected that my data usage was doubled also, Smiley Wink the way it dissappeared so quickly.

I dont have 3 GB of tokens either.

My cycle did indeed start on Jan 13- Feb 12

Perhaps I should try to delete all the cache files, restart the HughesNet Usage meter, and post a new snapshot.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@kitnbob 

@MarkJFine 

There's another thread where a person's graph is doing something similar.  The graph looks as if the data reset two thirds of the way through the cycle.  It's very odd.  In another one the dates are different, as is the apparent plan size.  It's almost as if his system is showing someone else's information.  

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Now-both-upload-and-download-slow/m-p/108778#M73919

@GabeU 

@MarkJFine 

Gabe, good catch on that other graph. Interesting that the other reset cycle is the date that my graph malfunctioned. Kinda like my graph received His data reset.

Mark, I deleted the cache and the Local storage "file_0.xxx"UsageMeterMess-4.PNG

My graph is more accurate now. Smiley Happy

1 cache file and 1local storage file were reduced in size.

the rest remained the same. the erroneous data was over-written

@GabeUUsageMeterMess-5.PNG

This is last months usage graph, a more usual month.

Perhaps my graph was receiving HIS usage data too.  Smiley Surprised

GabeU

@kitnbob wrote:

Gabe, good catch on that other graph. Interesting that the other reset cycle is the date that my graph malfunctioned. Kinda like my graph received His data reset.

As wacky as this whole thing is, it almost wouldn't surprise me.  😛  

It's also possible the cache got corrupted. Good thinking.

Edit: Not only possible, but it looks like that was it. That's a first for me.

I doubt you were getting someone else's data since it's all keyed by account and virtually impossible to query. It's more likely that there was old data in the cache and additional data got interspersed somehow. If you've looked at the innards of the file, it's basically a SQL dump format with some whacky control characters in there.

The history data is read basically once a day when you see the whirlygig "loading" and stays that way until the first time you look at it the next day (after midnight). So it could have just gotten jumbled up at that point. I have a theory that the database queries have been getting interrupted or failing, causing other issues like the 'no VDS' problem.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

Is the "file_0.xxx" being referred to in C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\HughesNet Usage Meter\Local Storage ?

Edit:  Would dumping the entire Hughesnet Usage Meter folder, like we do for the JavaScript error, fix the problem if it rears its ugly head? 

@GabeU wrote:

Is the "file_0.xxx" being referred to in C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\HughesNet Usage Meter\Local Storage ?

Edit:  Would dumping the entire Hughesnet Usage Meter folder, like we do for the JavaScript error, fix the problem if it rears its ugly head? 

Yes and Yes. I remember the JavaScript error. 

Deleting the entire folder works, but I like to find out what and where the problem is. So I selectively removed just a few files and the graph was corrected.

Not sure if "file_0.localxxx" contributed to the Usage graph or not. After restarting, the re-written file was smaller, it could have been corrupted also. 

Mark and I believe the cache files are more to blame, and we all believe that clearing the cache once in a while can be benificial.   And I'm still learning. Smiley Indifferent

GabeU

Well, this is funny.  I just noticed that mine is wrong.  The data is correct, but the date isn't, which is why there is the uptick at the beginning.  It's one day off.  My data cycle is the 5th through the 4th, not the 4th through the 3rd.

The online version shows the correct dates, but it's funny that I had to look at last month's to see today's date.  When I look at this month, nothing is shown.  I should add that my billing cycle is the 4th through the 3rd, which is one day off from the data cycle.  My data resets in 51 minutes.  

Capture.JPG

What's seen below is all correct (the dates and data usage), but it should still be the "This Month", not the "Previous Month".  It shouldn't be the "Previous Month" until 45 minutes from now.

Capture1.JPG

What it's showing for "This Month", which, going by the dates shown, shouldn't exist yet.  

Capture2.JPG

I dumped the HughesNet Usage Meter folder and repopulated it, but it made no difference.  None of this really concerns me, or at least not at this point.  It's more of a comical anomaly.  It may be back to normal tomorrow.

@GabeU wrote:

I dumped the HughesNet Usage Meter folder and repopulated it, but it made no difference.  None of this really concerns me, or at least not at this point.  It's more of a comical anomaly.  It may be back to normal tomorrow.

When is "tomorrow" on UDT time?

concerned? with your yellow line way UP at 50GB Smiley Happy

Edit:  Gremlins

GabeU

@kitnbob wrote:

When is "tomorrow" on UDT time?

concerned? with your yellow line way UP at 50GB Smiley Happy

For me, in EST, it's 5:00AM UTC, but the data usage and graphs correspond to our own time zone.  

In reality, since upgrading to Gen4 in Feb 2016, then Gen5 in Mar 2017, I've never used a single MB of token data.  I've yet to run out of my plan data.  🙂 

@GabeUUsageMeterMess-6.PNG

It's not tomorrow Here yet.

should be... for 9 minutes now.Smiley Happy

@MarkJFine wrote:

I doubt you were getting someone else's data...... more likely that there was old data in the cache and additional data got interspersed somehow. If you've looked at the innards of the file, it's basically a SQL dump format with some whacky control characters in there.

..... I have a theory that the database queries have been getting interrupted or failing, causing other issues.......

I DID peek at the files. the "file_0.localxxx" is a comma delineated file and still looks like somebody elses data. Where did it come from?

I cant see anything in the cache files except those wacky control characters.

OK, Let me ask, dosen't the data originate at the modem sitting infront of me on my desktop? And if my local files get corrupted  my graphics of the HughesNet Usage Meter dont work, afterall it's just a desktop app to replace using the my.hughesnet. >Usage web portal......  here's the question..

How do we know that the "additional data got interspersed somehow." didnt get into My Account database?

When ever the HughesNet Usage meter malfunctions, locally, the web portal still seems accurate. 

I really dont NEED to know.....  Smiley Frustrated  getting late. Thanks!    and Good Night.

Edit:  I'm sure there are logs at both ends. 

GabeU

@kitnbob wrote: 

When ever the HughesNet Usage meter malfunctions, locally, the web portal still seems accurate.  

Not mine, or at least not tonight.  😛  

Hi folks,

Thanks for discussing this, we've been keeping an eye on this and are going to escalate to our engineers. I'll keep you posted on any updates we may get, or if we could use more info from you. 

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

@Liz 

I still have the corrupted "file_0.localstorxxx" and the new regenerated file if ya'all want to compare data.

Thanks for looking into this. Smiley Happy

You're welcome, kitnbob!  Please check your private messages (PM) in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

@kitnbob wrote:

@Liz 

I still have the corrupted "file_0.localstorxxx" and the new regenerated file if ya'all want to compare data.

That's awesome. I was going to suggest something like that.

@MarkJFine 

Yep you would have 'cept you were probably outside most of the day enjoying this Warm Spell. I was Smiley Happy