cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound like a broken record: "Extremely low download speeds"

New Poster

Sound like a broken record: "Extremely low download speeds"

I am a new user of Hughes Satellite. The service was installed a week ago. I arrived at the home yesterday and started using it. My highest download speed has been a whopping 1.7 mbps and, of course, I pay for 25mbps. I have used almost zero data and have reset the modem and checked the satellite placement. Everything looks fine to me. I hope it's an easy fix.

6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Professor III

Re: Sound like a broken record: "Extremely low download speeds"

@hughes87s 

If by "reset" you mean utilizing the rest button at the back of the modem, please do not do so again, as this can cause more harm than good. A reset should only be performed when instructed to do so by a HughesNet representative, and in the manner instructed.  

During your first twenty days your service is in what's known as a "relaxed bandwidth state", which means your data allotment is continually being replenished by HughesNet.  This is done as a courtesy for new customers, in order to enable them to update/upgrade their devices to current without it affecting their normal monthly data allotment.  After these twenty days your data usage will start being deducted in the normal fashion.  This is likely why you're showing almost zero data usage.  

The reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM EST.  They should answer within a day or so.  Please be sure to leave your HughesNet modem plugged in so that they can run remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment if they deem it necessary.

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted

Good morning hughes87s,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community! I pulled up your account to investigate and I see that the HughesNet equipment is currently working normally. Our engineers are already working to address your concerns, so please expect improvements within the next few weeks. Once I have any new updates to share on their progress, I'll post back.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

New Poster

Good luck!! My speeds are slow and usage high. I always run out of “high speed data before 15 days. We do no streaming and play no games. However, the good news is I really can’t tell a difference between high 25 mg speeds and 2 mg speeds. I can’t wait until I get rid of it in August!

@Damronrob 

If you'd like help concerning your high data usage, as in figuring out why the usage is high and/or learning how to use as little data as possible while performing normal online activities, please start a new topic, which you can do here.

If you'd like help with your speed issue, please do the same.  Some speed test results will be needed to demonstrate the speed problem.  The protocol for the speed tests is here.  Please be sure to only run the tests if you have data, as speed tests run while out of data and subject to FAP will not be of use.

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
New Poster

Broken Record would be correct. Same plan (sounds like) and exact same problem here, been with them a few months though.

Got it it installed, worked great for about two days. Tech comes out to repoint the dish worked better, sailed along for a few weeks.. a month maybe? Then the modem dies. They don't send a tech with a new modem, they send it to you to install. While you have no internet.

Every since then, my speeds have been subpar. And every customer representative confirms this much, and escelates the issue to an engineer. The problem is, they tell you a engineer will call you within 3 busness days, not telling exactly what day ,or even roughly what time of the day. Most of us work for a living, and are not available to answer a phonecall all hours of a day. They need either more engineers, so a direct patch is available, OR giving a far closer estimate of when this hypothetical phonecall will take place if they wish to keep customers. This will be my 4th go around trying to get in contact with the engineer (after case escalation) that MAY possibly start it towards fixing the problem.But I'm beginning to think this engineer that calls to fix problems, is currently hanging out with sasquatch and the lochness monster at the end of a rainbow, sitting on a pot of leprechaun gold.There is certianly rumors of one, but currently no proof of an engineer. 

I'm amazed at how fast I'm considering buying out the contract. They would indeed lose money this way, true... but I think this happens more than they want to admit, at that they possibly used to it. 

@GrouchyOldGuy 

Instead of jumping on a second person's thread and again complaining, why not use that energy to start a new topic and get the help you're looking for?

The purpose of this Support Community is support.  Why not ask for it?