Hughesnet Community

Southern Ohio service in and out CONSTANTLY for nearly 2 weeks.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JB69
Freshman

Southern Ohio service in and out CONSTANTLY for nearly 2 weeks.

Its been almost 2 weeks since this started, my internet has been going out entirely randomly for long streaks of time, LOTS of data lost to canceled and failed downloads because of these stupid outages. And even more seems to be getting syphoned by god knows what else. Ive lost 20% of my night time data and ALL of my daytime is gone. Its only been somewhat cloudy here except for 1 night when it rained and yet my internet has been constantly hoing out, its been out a couple times just while typing this! I cant get ANYTHING over a few megabytes downloaded and yet its still draining my data because it was "used" on like half a download before, as alot of things do nowadays, it just cancels and gives up on the download and you have to start over. Just went out again! Thats at least 5 times since I started typing! This is ridiculous! My cellphone and direct tv service arent even slightly affected by this weather, even during the rain, how is this the "latest technology" when it cant even function during a bit of overcast!? Is anyone else in southern ohio having this problem? And yes Ive tried resetting the modem and everything several times. It didnt work.

6 REPLIES 6
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@JB69 

The reps will likely try to run remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment in order to see what may be going on, so, if you normally don't, please be sure to leave your HughesNet modem plugged in.  The reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM EST.  They usually reply within a day.  

BTW, please do not reset the HughesNet modem unless instructed to by a rep.  Doing so improperly can cause more problems than it fixes.  It's also unnecessary for most issues.  

You can power cycle the HughesNet modem without issue, however, and this can sometimes help with a connection problem, at least temporarily.  To do so, unplug the modem at either the wall outlet or the power pack, wait at least a minute, then plug the modem back in.  After plugging it back in, wait at least five minutes in order to allow for the modem to be fully back up and ready, and then try your activities again.  

You can also reboot the modem from the System Control Center.  To the right of the US flag there is a little letter "i".  It can be hard to see.  Clicking on that "i" will take you to this page.  On that page, at the top, is the Reboot button.  Click on it, then click OK in the popup box, and it will reboot the modem.  It's similar to a power cycle, though not quite the same.  This can help in the same way as the power cycle.  

Yeah thats what I meant by resetting, more rebooting I suppose. I actually didnt know it was possoble to really reset it. I periodically let it reboot. Typically after storms when it has the most problems. Its usually plugged in so that shouldnt be a problem.

Yeah thats what I meant by resetting, more rebooting I suppose. I actually didnt know it was possoble to really reset it. I periodically let it reboot. Typically after storms when it has the most problems. Its usually plugged in so that shouldnt be a problem.

@JB69,

Thank you for contacting us. It is true that satellite signals are susceptible to being interrupted during periods of adverse weather. If light cloud coverage is causing the connection to be lost, we would be happy to run diagnostics on your system to make sure there isn't an underlying alignment or signal problem. Just send me a private message with the phone number on your account to get started.

-Damian 

I would, but 2 days after talking to this gentleman it stopped. I assumed you had already done something about it. It rained heavily the very next day and it didnt go out at all. So i have no clue what was wrong.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@JB69 

Something I forgot to ask is regarding your DirecTV service:  Do you have the DirecTV receiver connected to your HughesNet service?  The reason I ask is that, if it is, this could explain the mystery data usage.  

Also, regarding the outage issues, though it normally shouldn't last very long when this happens, weather at your gateway can affect your service in the same way as weather at your own location.  It usually takes a bit harsher weather to do so, as the dish at the gateway is nearly the size of a small house and more powerful than yours, but it can still happen.  I don't know that this is what was going on, and I only present it as a possibility.  

You can see where your gateway is by following the instructions here.  The website belongs to CORROSIVE, who is a longtime member of the HughesNet Community.

Knowing where your gateway is can help if you run into a connection issue while the weather at your own location is fine.  You can check to see if there are, or were, any storms at your gateway's location.