Spam emails

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nitaclay
Sophomore

Spam emails

In just the last few weeks, I have started receiving HUNDREDS of spam emails every day. Up until that time, I hardly ever received any. It does no good to mark them spam. What is going on with HughesNet that these are not being caught? The emails I send are also going to the recipients' junk mailboxes and some are even being blocked.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Good morning folks,

Thank you for your continued feedback, I'm sending these up to management who is keeping an eye on all this. They've also issued an official response:

We are aware that some customers are experiencing a significant increase in SPAM messages to their @Hughes.net email addresses. Our engineers are working to resolve the issue as quickly as possible.

We apologize for the inconvenience this influx of unwanted messages has created and encourage you to flag them as SPAM to remove them from your inbox. Marking messages as SPAM also helps improve the filtering algorithms. Simply click the checkbox next to any SPAM messages and then click the shield icon in the upper right corner of the menu bar. 

Please let us know if you're seeing any improvement now, there have been some changes recently. Looking forward to your feedback.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

37 REPLIES 37

I guess I should be thankful for the hundreds! I don't know what I would do if it were thousands like yours!

Thank you, HughesNet for getting on this! Please hurry!!

Thanks for the update.

I just marked about 500 as spam from the past 2 days.  Whatever this new system is it's not doing anything yet as far as filtering anything out.  I can't spend the time to go through the other 4000 emails in my inbox, 90% or more are spam, and most since November 11th which is when I guess something changed.

Please do something soon.

Hi folks,

As Alfred mentioned, it would be more helpful to mark as spam as opposed to blocking. I don't expect you to mark every single piece if you can't get to it, but please do what you can. The more that's marked the better our spam controls get.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Liz, I always mark them as spam, always did, when the same spam email, hundereds of them kept coming in, same, over and over my last resort was to block them - neither marking as spam or blocking is working. 

Carmen Vitullo
Liz

Good morning folks,

Thank you taking the time to post your experiences and letting us know. I'm very sorry for this inconvenience, I know it's a hassle to deal with so much unwanted email. We're taking care of this and have our e-mail admins working to resolve this. Please stay tuned for updates as I get them.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

Mudkat514
Freshman

Me, too. It is ridiculous!!! Hundreds a day....every day!!

Good morning Mudkat514,

Thanks for chiming in, please be sure you're marking these e-mails as spam whenever you can as this helps our e-mail admins address this issue.

-Liz

The issue with my spam folder showing 141 entries still exsists, any suggestions Liz?

Capture1.PNG

Carmen Vitullo

Spam is going into the spam folder instead of your inbox?

The issue with my spam folder showing 141 entries still exsists, any suggestions Liz?

Capture1.PNG

@Liz wrote:

Capture1.PNG

no I am saying my spam folder is empty, as the image I posted sez, 'Your Junk folder is empty' but to the left, the list of folders shows 141 emails still in the folder

Carmen Vitullo

@Liz 
Just wondering if when the mail accounts were moved, the new spam filter was set up for a different folder with a new name. For example, the old folder being named "Junk" and the new one named "Spam". If the webmail client pointed to two different places it might also cause something like this.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

@MarkJFine wrote:

@Liz 
Just wondering if when the mail accounts were moved, the new spam filter was set up for a different folder with a new name. For example, the old folder being named "Junk" and the new one named "Spam". If the webmail client pointed to two different places it might also cause something like this.

that's a good point, I don't remember myself but I think you are correct, the folder was junk. Something similar is happening to my email from the IBM-MAIN forum I belong to, I acidently deleted the folder, I had a rule setup to move those emails to that folder, I recreated the folder but still some email do not go there and continue to show up in my inbox. 

Carmen Vitullo

Good morning folks, good catch on that naming inconsistency! I'll share this with our e-mail admins as well. We do have progress made on the spam issue- once I have more details I can share, I'll post it here.

Thank you again for your cooperation, patience, and understanding.

-Liz

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Pete_Vit wrote:

@Liz wrote:

Capture1.PNG

no I am saying my spam folder is empty, as the image I posted sez, 'Your Junk folder is empty' but to the left, the list of folders shows 141 emails still in the folder

Not to try to move this topic in a different direction, but only because it's likely related to the issue in the quoted post, I'm having the same issue with my Inbox....

Capture.PNG

And, when I emptied the Inbox, which stills indicates 32 emails, and which moved the 32 emails to the Trash folder, I couldn't empty that Trash folder in the normal manner.  Right clicking the folder name and clicking "Emtpy trash" did nothing, and selecting all of the emails and clicking Delete did nothing.  I had to go through and delete each email individually by opening them one at a time and clicking Delete in the options above the open email.  What a pain.

So, now, at least they're gone, but that Inbox indicator is still on the fritz.  Maybe when a new email comes in it will reset that number.

This new email system is quite glitchy.  🙁 

Good morning folks,

Thank you for your continued feedback, I'm sending these up to management who is keeping an eye on all this. They've also issued an official response:

We are aware that some customers are experiencing a significant increase in SPAM messages to their @Hughes.net email addresses. Our engineers are working to resolve the issue as quickly as possible.

We apologize for the inconvenience this influx of unwanted messages has created and encourage you to flag them as SPAM to remove them from your inbox. Marking messages as SPAM also helps improve the filtering algorithms. Simply click the checkbox next to any SPAM messages and then click the shield icon in the upper right corner of the menu bar. 

Please let us know if you're seeing any improvement now, there have been some changes recently. Looking forward to your feedback.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

Liz, thanks so much for helping to get this resolved, so far one or 2 spams get into my inbox, I mark them as spam and go on.

I still have the issue where my spam folder shows 141 items, but that's a cosmedic issue to me. Again thanks

Carmen Vitullo

Good morning Pete_Vit,

Thank you for letting me know! Yes, always good to keep marking the few that get through, it helps our spam controls learn and improve.

I'm also glad you mentioned the folder notification matter, I'm actually working on that now with GabeU since he also is experiencing the same thing. I'll include you on the case so our e-mail admins can address.

-Liz