cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speaking of Tokens ......

Honorary Alumnus

Speaking of Tokens ......

Speaking of Tokens ... I have a token I wish to add to my "Token Bucket".

So I log into:

http://my.hughesnet.com/

And accessing the "token management" link from the "at a glance" meter:

I get the following result:

I cannot add my available Token to my "Token Bucket" due to the "USE" button being greyed out.

This seems to be a reoccurring problem when using this method of managing Tokens.

Using an alternate method, a direct link:

http://services.hughesnet.com/service_tools/tokens/check.cfm

appears to be prepared to allow "use" of the Token but this method suffers from the drawback that if a user wanted to purchase  tokens, they are limited to buying a single 500 MBToken as compared to the more economical one or two GB options when managing Tokens using the other two methods.

Finally there is the 3rd method of Token Management ... through the Download Status Meter:

appears to be prepared to "use" my available Token but as mentioned by several other users suffers from an incomplete display of number of remaining Tokens and other shortcomings.

Method #1 offers the most complete info display but is "broken" and in need of repair.

Hopefully after 3250 posts in the Community you won't need a case number. Smiley Happy

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Speaking of Tokens ......

Hello Gwalk,

This is great information and we appreciate the screenshots. Normally, I would say you would not be able to "use" a token if you are not in FAP - but I believe our new methods should allow to you at least bank them in your bucket even if you have not exceeded. I will be sending this to the team that handles the token use on our websites, then to the application development team. Once again, I think you are a valuable asset to us and thank you for putting in the efforts to bring things like this up. I'll post back with the team's responses once I have them.

Thanks,
Amanda
Honorary Alumnus

Hi Amanda,

Thanks !

I know for a fact that for at least HT1000/1100 systems you can "bank" to your "Token Bucket" as evidenced by my present 17 GB Token Bucket "balance"

Assistant Professor

Great info Gwalk! I normally use the status meter to use tokens so wasn't aware of the first method being a bit wonky by not being able to use until in FAP. The turkey will now dance for you.

This is the impression I have as well. I just sent your full post with my inquiry to the team - I'll keep you notified.
Thanks
Amanda
Honorary Alumnus

That's a nice plump Bird you have there ... for a few more days !

I just opened the "at a glance" meter, check my "token bank" balance and checked to see if "use" was still greyed out, and it was.

I then opened the Download Status Meter (v.6.0.0) and clicked it USE button ... got the black "whirellygig" applying graphic, followed by a very brief  "has been applied" message in the upper left which then disappeared.

Now here is where it gets "odd", I know that the download status meter "reflects" info from the main "at a glance" meter and to expect a delay, but doing a refresh of the DSM meter did NOT update the Token Bank balance to 17.5 GB as expected. The "at a glance" meter updated to 17.5 GB within seconds..

There was about a 8 minute delay before the Download Status Meter caught up.

That could be real confusing to those subscribers that don't understand that the Download Status Meter just reflects data from the main one ... expect delays. If a user needs near "real time" info log into:

http://my.hughesnet.com/

Looks like I need to work less and get on the 'Net more !

I have enough banked up to watch War & Peace and still not FAP.

And for Country Girl and others that have posted about  adding Tokens from the Download Status Meter .... yup, it was a bit confusing to use.

Assistant Professor

Now I see why some folks are not very happy with the way the whole token thing is working. I never looked at things in detail as you have.
I need to find an investigator badge for you.  Smiley Happy

And yea, poor turkey won't be dancing much longer.
Associate Professor

Yesterday I flat out had issues just accessing anything to let me apply tokens... I think the system was under maintenance...  But all HN9000 (This includes Legacy...) and up users are supposed to be able to release any tokens they have into the Token Allowance bucket now regardless of the current actual allowance.

I also think I shall steal Sgoshe's turkey...

Hi Gwalk and everyone,

Apparently, if you have "Gen4" tokens (meaning purchased brand new through the Status Meter or Support Center) you will be able to USE them without having to exceed your data allowance. If there are roll-over tokens mixed in from a previous system (HN9000, HN7000) they will only be available to use after you have exceeded your download allowance. This is a bit tricky, but does not require an actual fix as people will eventually use their old tokens someday. I can confirm Wednesday 11/5/14 parts of our billing system were down and people were unable to use tokens at that time.

The status meter is another thing, which was sent to a different group to be looked at. I believe the nearest time to get a fix or change to the banner would be in the next status meter update, which I have no ETA on. Of course, you know I will be right back here to give you an update on what will be done to improve the notification that a token has been successfully used.

Thanks,
Amanda
Honorary Alumnus

Thanks for the update Amanda.

I'm sure you noticed that I did add my token to my Token Bucket (17 GB + the token =17.5) but I will admit there is an oddity as to the "source" of that Token, it being the result of HN7000s to Gen4 "upgrade negociations" (drat ! Auto correct strikes again !)

In the end I accomplished my goal: Add Token To Token Bucket

But wanted to post so that others that may be confused by the twists and turns of Token application and usage had a recent referance.

As always, Thanks Amanda !