Speed Analysis

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
theEngineer
Freshman

Speed Analysis

I have sent multiple emails through the HughesNet customer service email application on their customer support web page and have not received a single response even though it is stated that “We will reply to your email message within 24 hours. Be sure to check your spam folder in case your email has filtered us.” The email below is the latest attempt.

March 29, 2022
5th Notice of Termination.
This email is to give notice that I am terminating my HughesNet service plan, account number DSS201561228 effective immediately due to unacceptable performance. In addition I am requesting that the $400 early termination charge be waived. Please send instructions to return all required HughesNet equipment.

I intend to submit the following comments on my social media page and to the several online ISP customer review sites urging potential HughesNet customers to carefully consider their options and contract conditions of service when shopping for new internet service.

Evaluation of HughesNet Download Speed Performance and Recommendation - “Caveat Emptor”
I started a HughesNet satellite internet service plan on February 28, 2022. I terminated the service after one month because of totally unacceptable download speed performance as detailed below.

The internet service was advertised as “HughesNet is the breakthrough service that gives you more of everything you want: fast speeds, more data, and built-in Wi-Fi. HughesNet delivers speeds faster than ever, with 25 Mbps on every plan.”

Not so. From the first day of usage I found that statement of speed performance to be consistently unobtainable for my daily use. The service was slow from the start and would not support even low quality video streaming. Web pages seemed to load very frustratingly slow. So I started performing the HughesNet speed test found on their user support web page. I performed 103 speed tests at various times of the day over my first month of service and exported the resulting download speed test results (as a csv file) from their speed test web page. The tests were conducted on a new iMac with an up-to-date OS with no other devices or applications in use at the time of the tests.

I then performed a simple but telling analysis of the download speed test data by calculating the median value download speed of the data set. The median is the value separating the higher half from the lower half of a data sample set. The median value from the 103 speed tests was 2.54 Mbps. Thus for half the time the download speed was less than about 10 percent of the 25 Mbps HughesNet claimed for their service. Of course, HughesNet notes in the (literally) fine print at the bottom of their advertising that speeds will vary for various reasons. The poor performance of this internet service was totally unacceptable and I was compelled to not continue with HughesNet internet service.

Although terminating the two-year contract after one month of totally unsatisfactory service is costing me $400, I did so because I could not endure another month of such frustrating service.

My expensive lesson from HughesNet: caveat emptor - let the buyer beware. Do not purchase a HughesNet satellite internet service plan!

6 REPLIES 6
theEngineer
Freshman

I have sent multiple emails through the HughesNet customer service email application on their customer support web page and have not received a single response even though it is stated that “We will reply to your email message within 24 hours. Be sure to check your spam folder in case your email has filtered us.” The email below is the latest attempt.

March 29, 2022
5th Notice of Termination.
This email is to give notice that I am terminating my HughesNet service plan, account number DSS201561228 effective immediately due to unacceptable performance. In addition I am requesting that the $400 early termination charge be waived. Please send instructions to return all required HughesNet equipment.

I intend to submit the following comments on my social media page and to the several online ISP customer review sites urging potential HughesNet customers to carefully consider their options and contract conditions of service when shopping for new internet service.

Evaluation of HughesNet Download Speed Performance and Recommendation - “Caveat Emptor”
I started a HughesNet satellite internet service plan on February 28, 2022. I terminated the service after one month because of totally unacceptable download speed performance as detailed below.

The internet service was advertised as “HughesNet is the breakthrough service that gives you more of everything you want: fast speeds, more data, and built-in Wi-Fi. HughesNet delivers speeds faster than ever, with 25 Mbps on every plan.”

Not so. From the first day of usage I found that statement of speed performance to be consistently unobtainable for my daily use. The service was slow from the start and would not support even low quality video streaming. Web pages seemed to load very frustratingly slow. So I started performing the HughesNet speed test found on their user support web page. I performed 103 speed tests at various times of the day over my first month of service and exported the resulting download speed test results (as a csv file) from their speed test web page. The tests were conducted on a new iMac with an up-to-date OS with no other devices or applications in use at the time of the tests.

I then performed a simple but telling analysis of the download speed test data by calculating the median value download speed of the data set. The median is the value separating the higher half from the lower half of a data sample set. The median value from the 103 speed tests was 2.54 Mbps. Thus for half the time the download speed was less than about 10 percent of the 25 Mbps HughesNet claimed for their service. Of course, HughesNet notes in the (literally) fine print at the bottom of their advertising that speeds will vary for various reasons. The poor performance of this internet service was totally unacceptable and I was compelled to not continue with HughesNet internet service.

Although terminating the two-year contract after one month of totally unsatisfactory service is costing me $400, I did so because I could not endure another month of such frustrating service.

My expensive lesson from HughesNet: caveat emptor - let the buyer beware. Do not purchase a HughesNet satellite internet service plan!

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Stop spamming and trolling this site. You only make yourself look like an idiot, repeating the same thing over and over. There's a protocol for cancelling an account. Your notice of terminations have zero legal weight and make you look ignorant. Educate yourself -- you can't cancel your account on this site. Call the toll free number and try not being rude. It might work for you. The $400 will stick, though, especially with your attitude. 

• The speed analysis using data samples from is a legitimate analysis, quantifying what other dissatisfied customers are experiencing. Of course, results will vary from data set to data set. Let your customers decide if the speed is satisfactory or not.
  • Yes, I found that the HughesNet customer support site is not a viable way to change or cancel service. I will cancel by phone.
  • Paying $400 to cancel a poor performing internet service entitles me to express may opinion, unless HughesNet is regulating free speech.
  • Finally maratsade, you have stooped to calling a customer names ...

Respectfully, Idiot 

GabeU

@theEngineer 

You have two options.  

1.  Working with the HughesNet reps here, which will require you to run speed tests using a specific protocol, which I'll post at the bottom.  Regardless of your speed analysis, running the speed tests, and again using the protocol laid out, is a requirement.  Make sure to read the instructions thoroughly before running the tests to ensure that they're run properly.  Then post your 'My Results' page URL so that the tests can be viewed.  Before running the tests please ensure that you are not out of plan data, as tests run while out of plan data, and therefore throttled due to the Fair Access Policy, will not be of value.  

2.  Simply cancelling the service.  Keep in mind, however, that without first working with the HughesNet reps here in an attempt to solve the issue, you have practically zero chance of having any or all of the Early Termination Fee waived. 

- you should edit your posts to remove your account number.  This should NEVER be posted in public.  You can edit your posts by clicking on the three vertical dots to the upper right corner of the post. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account (if you do not already have one) and, while signed into that account, perform a batch of 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share your testmy.net "My Results" page URL with us here. A batch each in the morning, afternoon and evening is the most ideal, but the reps are well aware that not everyone can do this, so please just run a batch when you can.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem while the speed tests are being performed
-the testing device should be the ONLY device connected to the HughesNet modem while testing
-use the manual 25MB size download test file
-if testing upload instead of download, use the manual 4MB size upload test file
-space each test in the batch at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please see this site.

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 9AM to 6PM EST. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

If you don't know how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem, please see "How do I manage my built-in WiFi modem?" in this PDF. Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro

Good morning theEngineer,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

maratsade

Without you working with the reps here the cancellation fee is valid.  Your analysis still means nothing.