Speed awful for over two weeks now

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
coryedwards1978
Sophomore

Speed awful for over two weeks now

Speed has been worse than pitiful for over the past two weeks. Multiple tests have been run and my average is 0.371 Mbps - http://testmy.net/quickstats/coryedwards

This was noted in another thread but a fresh start seemed in order. 
53 REPLIES 53

Hi 

Just wanted to jump in a give a quick status update on this thread... We are just waiting on the installer to schedule and get Cory set up on Gen5! 🙂

~Amanda

Counting down to next Wednesday. Can't wait!

@Amanda,

Ran another test to confirm. Still chugging along at 0.86Mbps. It took me about a half-dozen browser refreshes and 7-10 minutes to get to the point where I could actually post this. 

@coryedwards1978, I am positive Amanda hasn't forgotten about you, I just think she may have taken on a few too many cases at one time.  Depending on what is going on at Hughesnet and your general location, it may be sometime in April before they can move you to a Jupiter II system if they was planning on that to alleviate your speed issues.

As you can imagine it gets quite frustrating not really knowing what's going on or having a solution in sight. Like I said, 1.5 months of less than 10% of what I'm paying for isn't pleasant. I'm sure they'll get around to me eventually.

Cory

There is unfortunately noupdates coming from engineering until Monday the 20th, but keep an eye out Monday for a PM from me with special Gen5 upgrade options. No excuse for me to not respond to you in a timely manner as promised, other than being very shorthanded and stretched thin but will do my best to make sure we take care of you somehow. If I can't get to you by the promised day Monday I will PM you anyway just to let you know you've not been forgotten.

Thanks

Amanda

@Amanda,

The latest speed test is still only at 1.4Mbps but it's remarkably faster than it had been for the past month or so. Have the engineers performed their work yet? If so, is that likely to be our new peak-time ceiling? 

I ask because I got your PM and I want to have all of the details in front of us before we make any decisions.

Thanks!

@Amanda,

First speed test of the afternoon was the best I've seen in a long time. Second was slower but still better than it had been. I do notice that I'm getting a lot of DNS errors that I don't get on any other internet connection. 

Any feedback from the engineers? 

Any other feedback on the bill situation?

Anything @Amanda?

I'm still getting a lot of DNS errors (mostly when trying to get to this point). Two speeds tests today were 1.1Mbps and 1.4Mbps which, granted is still whole lot better than I was getting last week. It's also about 90% slower than my "up to" speed. 

Are you using the Hughes DNS servers or another?

Have you purged cached DNS data from: Modem, Router and OS?

I haven't changed anything. It's just gone from always working to sometimes working coinciding with the other issues that I've had.

You would like to think that every request for a webpage would go to your systems DNS resolver for an answer. In practice this is not the case.

DNS data is stored in several places.

>The Hughes DNS servers> (which are known to have issues from time to time)

AND Locally in several places in and around your system:

>The Modem caches DNS info<

>The Router caches DNS info<

>Your Operating System caches DNS info<

>Your Browser and Temp files can store data<

In order to flush ALL the stored data from ALL sources there is procedure that must be followed so as to not recontaminate any cached DNS data.

On your computer dump History and Temp Files, then close browser

Power off the modem

Power off the router

Restart the modem and wait for it to boot completely

Restart the router and wait for it to boot completely

Open a command prompt and do a flush DNS as described below:

Clk START, clk RUN ..type in CMD, then hit enter:

at the prompt ">" copy and past this:

ipconfig /flushdns

Hit enter

The order is important because all of those devices will cache DNS values and use them even though changes have been made.

I like to set my system to use Googles DNS servers:

Here are the primary and secondary IPv4 and IPv6 numbers:

Google Public DNS IP addresses

The Google Public DNS IP addresses (IPv4) are as follows:

The Google Public DNS IPv6 addresses are as follows:

• 2001:4860:4860::8888
  • 2001:4860:4860::8844

You would enter these in your router if one is in use. Also they should be entered into the wired and wireless network adaptors on each computer.

Wag more, Bark less

Back to playing tag again I suppose.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

@coryedwards1978 wrote:

Back to playing tag again I suppose.

I take it you don't want the community experts to help you? Chances are Amanda will tell you to change your DNS servers, just like GWalk did. Why not give it a try?

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@maratsade There's nothing else we can do, the ball is in Hughes court...

@coryedwards1978 The only options you have at this time are to wait till load is reduced, or hop to Gen5... I know you don't want to hear that, but I think Amanda sent you a PM with all your other options if any others existed.

@maratsade thanks but it's not the DNS that's the (main) issue.

@C0RR0SIVE @Amanda did PM me but all that she sent was the flyer for the Gen5. I'm still waiting to hear if there's anything else that can be done on my current.

I have a hard time believing that they would just dump on all of the current users like that with the only other option being to pay more for less data. Also, she had mentioned something about some billing adjustments based off of the issues that we've been having for over a month now and I haven't heard anything back on that either. 

I do appreciate the feedback from both of you. 

@Liz and @Amanda Is there nothing that can be done as far as giving him a good deal with Gen5/JupiterII?  He has been rather patient in waiting, more than most people have been...

I know you couldn't like, give him Ultra and match the price, but I am sure you might be able to provide the reduced cost for a bit longer.

I may have had it out with some people on here, but it's only because of utter frustration.

Could I please get a switch deal too?

Amanda, did you send me an email too?  There's 318 emails but it looks like it's just the postings from here