cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed comparison: Verizon wireless vs. Hughesnet

Assistant Professor

Re: Speed comparison: Verizon wireless vs. Hughesnet

Nothing to do with Super Bowl, slow prime time for awhile now.
Assistant Professor

Well, ATT&T seems to fudge their speed tests for sure. Here is Networx meter showing actual down and up when running their test and the results they show and what Testmy.net shows. I am getting better speed over hotspot right now.

Still better than my satellite connection right now.

Can still stream Netflix at low def over satellite though and looks fine.  http://testmy.net/quickstats/sgoshe
Distinguished Professor IV

In my case, I mean.  Something's going on right now, as I have NEVER had a speed as high as that during this time in the evening, even on a Saturday night.  Normally, at this time, I'm sitting in the 3Mbps or 4Mbps range, and even less as of the last month or so (probably the Gen5 tinkering).  

Perhaps the people in my beam and Gateway are all out partying.  LOL.

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Assistant Professor

Many times Testmy.net reports high for HughesNet, it is why I have the throughput meter. Can be as much as 5-6 mbps over true speed.

I think even the engineers know this but they've established a norm and baseline with Testmy.net and compensate for it when troubleshooting.

While that's true, I had NetWorx installed until I had to restore with an older system image a little while back, and it was always within about 2Mbps of my testmy.net results.  I have had skewed results in the past, which is one of the reasons I installed Networx in the first place.  

My normal speeds are around the mid 20s, sometimes going up into the lower thirties, like that test, but NEVER at 10PM.  I just ran another one and it was 24.5Mbps, but I'm now starting to get into where it will normally speed up for me.  

BTW, below is a test I had done about five minutes earlier while trying Firefox (the reason it's not signed in).  Just VERY unusual for me to get these speeds at 10PM.  Something is a bit different tonight.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Assistant Professor

"Different" not so much for me lately during prime time. Is heading back up right now though.

Assistant Professor

Maybe not really, can still stream though.

Assistant Professor

Hotspot speed:

I wonder how well that's going to work when you try to stream.  If it's steady it should be enough.  Should.  Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Assistant Professor

It should work fine on low def which seriously looks good on my 55" TV. I honestly don't get the HD and Ultra 4K stuff although I'm old and grew up with snowy analog. I don't want to count the pimples on peoples faces. Can see where it may be nice for sports and action movies.

Latest results on hotspot. It is up and down no different than satellite. Note the peak speed on throughput meter then throttle to lower speed. Similar to satellite when real time load balancing is going on.