cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed comparison: Verizon wireless vs. Hughesnet

Assistant Professor

Re: Speed comparison: Verizon wireless vs. Hughesnet

One last example. Peaks and valleys on speed over Hughes with result. When speed is high the graph is almost flat across the top, no peaks and valleys. It is load balancing going on I understand that. Only trying to educate those who may not understand.

Distinguished Professor III

While I don't mind watching things in lower definition, I definitely like HD.  However, I'm right with you on the Ultra 4K stuff.  How defined does it REALLY need to be?  I suppose it could come in handy if you are going to have a commercial watching party and want to be able to pause and read the tiny writing on every one of them, but other than that, they can keep their Ultra 4K.

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Distinguished Professor III

Yep.  The testmy.net test summary shows a little bit of that, too, though I know that NetWorx is a much better tool for that.  A lot of people may not understand what the peaks and valleys actually mean when they see the breakdown of one of their speed tests on testmy.net.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Professor

How defined does it REALLY need to be? 
LD is just peachy for me.  It starts fuzzy at first but then it gets pretty sharp.  I've tried HD and I don't really notice a difference, or if I do, it doesn't really add anything to the experience.

I wouldn't dare hot spot my Project Fi to my laptop at home. First its Windows 10, second I get 1GB a month.. I can only imagine forgetting you've put on Netflix while tethered for a $500 rude awakening later.

On the bright side, go us!
Freshman

There are different channels of wireless, at least for AT&T VIA A VW TOWER. Should your device get on a slow channel, it will not download file data fast. Talk to VW & have them to check if you are connecting on a slower than LTE channel, even if it says LTE on your device.
THIS COULD BE YOUR WHOLE PROBLEM OVER ANY LTE provider WIRELESS SERVICE.
When my iPhone DOWNLOADS DATA, slower than 20Mbits/sec, CALL IN & AT&T MAKES SURE I'm really on an LTE channel, even though VIA a VW TOWER.
HOPE THIS HELPS. בובי
Tags (3)
Highlighted
Freshman

There are different channels of wireless, at least for AT&T VIA A VW TOWER. Should your device get on a slow channel, it will not download file data fast. Talk to VW & have them to check if you are connecting on a slower than LTE channel, even if it says LTE on your device.
When my iPhone DOWNLOADS DATA, slower than 20Mbits/sec, I CALL IN & AT&T MAKES SURE I'm really on an LTE channel, even though VIA a VW TOWER.
HOPE THIS HELPS. בובי
Tags (3)
Professor

I've talked to VW -- they claim things that are not really borne out by reality.  The problem (for me) started when they came out with the unlimited service. From what I have seen on the forums, a lot of people noticed their speed take a giant dive then. Verizon tells me nothing's wrong. We agree to disagree.

@fuzwuz wrote:
When my iPhone DOWNLOADS DATA, slower than 20Mbits/sec, I CALL IN & AT&T MAKES SURE I'm really on an LTE channel, even though VIA a VW TOWER.
HOPE THIS HELPS. בובי

Assistant Professor

@maratsade wrote:

I've talked to VW -- they claim things that are not really borne out by reality.  The problem (for me) started when they came out with the unlimited service. From what I have seen on the forums, a lot of people noticed their speed take a giant dive then. Verizon tells me nothing's wrong. We agree to disagree

There's actually a couple of things going on here from my perspective:

1. This latest iPhone update does some weird things when it comes to indicating whether wifi or wireless (LTE, 3G, 1x) is being used. Many times the display at the top of the phone doesn't show reality. I've literally seen 'LTE' when the 5G wifi was showing as engaged in the wifi settings. The wifi symbol won't even show until I switch from 5G to 2G.

I'm also in an area where I can actually get LTE on 2 bars of signal. Sometimes it gets stuck on 3G when it shouldn't and can only 'get' LTE unless I physically toggle airplane mode on then off and wait for the wireless to reset itself and reacquire the tower. I say this like I have any complete faith I'm really in either mode dispite what the indicator says, but you have to trust something.

2. I too have Unlimited, mainly because it was cheaper than being on my older 2G plan and wanted a fairly good backup connection that was usable in a power outage (happens a lot here in C. Virginia). What I've noticed is that the resulting speed is very subjective to peak times of use, just like every other system. And yes, they will intentionally throttle your speed after you've reached a certain amount in your cycle. Wireless just seems slightly overall faster because of the ping times to the local tower are a lot better than to something several hundred miles above the equator. Can't change the physics and the speed of light is a governing factor. Too bad, so sad.

3. Verizon's LTE is rated at around 5-12Mbps, but I've only seen it get as high as 5 due to the signal quality I get here. Typically it's around 1-2 at best, depending upon how my phone is pointed, which floor I'm on, which way the wind is blowing, and whichever arm/leg I have held up - not an optimum full-time solution, but workable.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Professor

I don't have unlimited myself -- I have the 4 GB account.  VW claims there's LTE in my area, and that may be true, but my speeds are never over 1 Mbps with their wireless.  Before they unveiled their unlimited option, I was getting much better speeds (well, for VW), sometimes up to 5 Mbps, and pretty low latency.  After they started offering their unlimited option, my speeds and latency plummeted.  I often see the same complaint on the VW forums.  I used to have 3G, and that was actually more consistent than LTE.

I get great speeds when I'm in a metropolitan area -- living in a rural area, I basically have to live with bad internet. It's just the nature of the beast. Not enough towers, not enough interest from providers, etc.  It is what it is. Smiley Happy