Speed comparison: Verizon wireless vs. Hughesnet

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Speed comparison: Verizon wireless vs. Hughesnet

I have access to some GBs from Verizon wireless, so I thought I'd test performance to compare it to Hughesnet. I'm sure people's mileage will vary, but I was pretty disappointed with Verizon.  With Hughesnet, I can stream something, download a game, and check email, all at the same time, and I don't notice a degradation of service. With Verizon Wireless, I can download the game and do nothing else.  Outlook has been trying to load up for 30 minutes, and forget streaming. I think Netflix actually chuckled.  So, verdict is: Hughesnet wins. And we're talking about satellite! The info goes to the satellite in space and then comes back down to my computer, using sci-fi style technology, and it beats Verizon wireless, which does not leave Earth. Boo to Verizon, hurrah for Hughesnet. 
29 REPLIES 29
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Maybe not really, can still stream though.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Hotspot speed:

GabeU

I wonder how well that's going to work when you try to stream.  If it's steady it should be enough.  Should.  🙂

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

It should work fine on low def which seriously looks good on my 55" TV. I honestly don't get the HD and Ultra 4K stuff although I'm old and grew up with snowy analog. I don't want to count the pimples on peoples faces. Can see where it may be nice for sports and action movies.

Latest results on hotspot. It is up and down no different than satellite. Note the peak speed on throughput meter then throttle to lower speed. Similar to satellite when real time load balancing is going on.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

One last example. Peaks and valleys on speed over Hughes with result. When speed is high the graph is almost flat across the top, no peaks and valleys. It is load balancing going on I understand that. Only trying to educate those who may not understand.

GabeU

While I don't mind watching things in lower definition, I definitely like HD.  However, I'm right with you on the Ultra 4K stuff.  How defined does it REALLY need to be?  I suppose it could come in handy if you are going to have a commercial watching party and want to be able to pause and read the tiny writing on every one of them, but other than that, they can keep their Ultra 4K.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
GabeU

Yep.  The testmy.net test summary shows a little bit of that, too, though I know that NetWorx is a much better tool for that.  A lot of people may not understand what the peaks and valleys actually mean when they see the breakdown of one of their speed tests on testmy.net.  

maratsade

How defined does it REALLY need to be? 
LD is just peachy for me.  It starts fuzzy at first but then it gets pretty sharp.  I've tried HD and I don't really notice a difference, or if I do, it doesn't really add anything to the experience.
Amanda

I wouldn't dare hot spot my Project Fi to my laptop at home. First its Windows 10, second I get 1GB a month.. I can only imagine forgetting you've put on Netflix while tethered for a $500 rude awakening later.

On the bright side, go us!