Speed in NorCal dismal slow today

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
macsociety
Advanced Tutor

Speed in NorCal dismal slow today

I been in FAP last 20 days or so... and today 1st day out of FAP for a bit.

Quite unpleased to come back to terrible speeds once again in northern California.  Before I went into FAP it appeared Hughes finally had me to somewhat normal speeds after a long time of bad speeds.

Today getting 800K to 1.6Mbps in 2 tests I did this AM.

Great 120s for sat signal.  Clear and spring like day here.  Even reset my modem after 1st test just in case.  Made zero difference.

@Liz @Amanda  any reason I should be seeing this poor of speed today?

https://testmy.net/quickstats/macsociety

Regards

TJ

28 REPLIES 28
macsociety
Advanced Tutor

OK, a switch has been flicked t seems... getting nice speeds now.

How weird for something to be so slow 1 minute and a tad later super train fast... well downloads that us.

My uploads still stink here in NorCal.

New test only getting 700K... far from 3Mbps.  

I would be happy with getting 1.5Mbps like I used to on sat 19 if they can ever get that but will be happy with real download speeds for now.

TJ

Hi TJ,

Thanks for these updates, glad to hear of the improved download speeds. Engineering is still working on expanding capacity to improve uploads, once we have any news about that we'll let you know.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Hi TJ,

New hardware has been installed, and so far your beam's capacity has been expanded. Please monitor your system performance and let me know if you see any difference in upload speeds. 

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

@Lizwrote:

Hi TJ,

New hardware has been installed, and so far your beam's capacity has been expanded. Please monitor your system performance and let me know if you see any difference in upload speeds. 

OK, initial test at 1PM PST... good improvment.  Just clocked a 1.9Mbps for a 3MB file.

Download of 31.8Mbps.

So yes, something looks much better!

Thanks

TJ

Whew, that's good to hear TJ. Funny, I literally just sent some feedback to the engineers, let me send a quick follow up with your latest observations. Thank you!

OK, the engineer would like for you to run a few upload tests using the 15MB test file size whenever you get a chance. I'll send you a token for these tests.

Cool, will do.

TJ

@Lizwrote:

OK, the engineer would like for you to run a few upload tests using the 15MB test file size whenever you get a chance. I'll send you a token for these tests.

@Lizwrote:

@Liz, here are 3 in the last hour or so.

https://testmy.net/stats/?&t=u&d=04052018&x=90&l=25&q=macsociety

Figured I would do before rain starts later this afternoon.

I will try to do a few during peak too...

TJ

Unfortunately speeds have diminished.  A real low download 4.9Mbps and then upload drop a little later.

Last test was only 1.07 Mbps for up.  No rain here yet.   Good signal at the time.  So looked good but then a drop since my 1st tests.

Download recovered to 18 but upload suffered.

So a tad all over the place at the moment.

TJ

@Liz, it is like I stepped back to September of 2017... with terrible speeds.

Tonight, at 10PM PST I am getting only 1.2Mbps download.

Any reason for this?

Thought we were finally over the speeds issues that plagued us for 6 months?

Here is a whole bunch of speed tests from earlier today to tonight, and you can see a major impact as the day progressed.

https://testmy.net/stats/?&t=u&d=04052018&x=90&l=25&q=macsociety

TJ

Good morning TJ,

Thank you for the new tests, I saw your conversation with Jezra in his thread. I'm not sure if the sudden change was due to the rain lately in Amarillo, where your gateway is, but nevertheless I'll relay all of this to engineering for their input.

@Lizwrote:

Good morning TJ,

Thank you for the new tests, I saw your conversation with Jezra in his thread. I'm not sure if the sudden change was due to the rain lately in Amarillo, where your gateway is, but nevertheless I'll relay all of this to engineering for their input.

Yeh, it is bad today.

Raining out but not crazy rain.

Still signal in 100s... 112 actually.

I am getting under 1Mbps down.

;-(

TJ

HughesSpeed.png

Hi TJ,

Thanks for the update. In reviewing your account, you're subject to the Fair Access Policy right now, and looks like this started the day you ran this last speed test.

@Lizwrote:

Hi TJ,

Thanks for the update. In reviewing your account, you're subject to the Fair Access Policy right now, and looks like this started the day you ran this last speed test.

@Liz

I am in FAP now but I did all sorts of tests before I fell into FAP end of last week.

Did you look at all those?

Several well under the norm.

Happy to use a token and run more if you would like.

But you can look back before I went into FAP, there were many tests run that day you asked me too.

Example... a 1.4Mbs down here.

TJBeforeFAP.png

Another before I for sure fell into FAP.  That night I was getting very poor speeds.

Or should I expect that?

TJ

BeforeFap2.png

I just used a token... will run more tests.... at the witching hour to see how speeds hold up.

Today at 5:45PM they appear good.

Unlike back when I ran the tests I had only 1.2 and 1.4 speeds before I went into FAP the next day.

Maybe I need my expectations set....

In a given month... should I expect couple days or slow speeds?  Should I see 1.x speeds "ever" when not in FAP.

I understand weather can hamper things but I just don't recall having weekly speed issues on Gen 4.

Every now and then would be a slow-up but not so pronounced as not being in FAP and getting 1.x speeds with no weather issues at my property.

TJ

Hi @Liz

As I experienced last time, and not in FAP at the time, very poor speeds.

I suspect this is a not a fluke.  Fluke would be every now and then, not every time I run tests late in the evening.

Seems very similiar to when I was on beam 55 sat es19.

Nice and clear out right now.

Only 2Mbps down and 1.1 up.

Something is not right.

Please assist.

Thanks

TJ

PoorSpeeds.png

Hi TJ,

Thank you for these details, I'll send over your observations and speed test results to engineering.

@Liz I will do more tonight too.

I will add a token and try to run some between 8PM and 10PM PST.  

Just seems between 7PM and 10PM PST things come to a crawl again.

Thanks for the support.

TJ

Hi @Liz,

I used a token last night to get out of FAP and did more tests, roughly between 8PM and 10PM.

You will see the speeds were quite dismal.

https://testmy.net/stats/?&t=u&d=04122018&x=90&l=25&q=macsociety

Appears there is an issue with Beam 19 on EchoStar-17.

Feels very much the same as when I was on the new Satellite... Fine during the day... Night stunk bad.  And if you are in FAP too, that 500K speed would become 100K speeds.  

Any help please would be great.

TJ

Here is the slowest of the group. Only 563K.

500Kspeed.png