cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed issues

Assistant Professor

Re: Speed issues

@Tom93 wrote:

If there is an issue with the routed connection, server, protocol than it seems to be effecting every website i visit that has any form of media on it.

I've seen it periodically with anything served by Akamai (such as for Microsoft Office downloads), Amazon, and possibly a few others (ClamXAV updates seem to slow and stall out sometimes). This is for large files in general, not just streaming media.

My suspicion is some sketchy goings on at the gateway's upstream provider if it's CenturyLink or ATT, just because I've seen similar things happen with them on networks other than HughesNet. And, those backbones in particular always seem to be the thing in common.

You can tell who the upstream provider is in a tracelink, by looking at the IP in hop 4 or 5, or whatever it is immediately after all the first few DirectWay hops. If it's CenturyLink, good luck, they won't even admit they have a problem. ATT knows and admits they have a problem - they admit its what's driving errors in the DirecTV guide that they push down their service channel (mine was even missing a few channels yesterday that 'magically' reappeared later in the day!).

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
New Poster

@GabeU wrote:

@Tom93 

Though I have no doubt that you've done this, what do you see when you power cycle your modem?  What I mean is, unplug the HughesNet modem, wait at least a minute, plug it back in, wait at least five minutes, then try going back online.  When you do this, are the speeds any faster with the downloads?  Also, though it may not necessarily matter, it would be best to be using a LAN cable connected device, if you have one, rather than a WiFi connected device, while troubleshooting.

As for what's causing it, I have a feeling that the source servers or something in between is the problem, but I'm not very versed in networking, so what could actually be causing the problem, I don't know.  Nor do I know why you're seeing what you are with the Bonus Zone speeds.  Hopefully a rep will respond with some ideas.

No change after power cycling, That was one of the first things I did and no change in speeds at all. I have used LAN connection intermittently across the many months of problems and there was never a change in anything than either, I do try to have a hardwire connection when I troubleshoot though. Thank you for the help so far.

New Poster

@MarkJFine wrote:

@Tom93 wrote:

If there is an issue with the routed connection, server, protocol than it seems to be effecting every website i visit that has any form of media on it.

I've seen it periodically with anything served by Akamai (such as for Microsoft Office downloads), Amazon, and possibly a few others (ClamXAV updates seem to slow and stall out sometimes). This is for large files in general, not just streaming media.

My suspicion is some sketchy goings on at the gateway's upstream provider if it's CenturyLink or ATT, just because I've seen similar things happen with them on networks other than HughesNet. And, those backbones in particular always seem to be the thing in common.

You can tell who the upstream provider is in a tracelink, by looking at the IP in hop 4 or 5, or whatever it is immediately after all the first few DirectWay hops. If it's CenturyLink, good luck, they won't even admit they have a problem. ATT knows and admits they have a problem - they admit its what's driving errors in the DirecTV guide that they push down their service channel (mine was even missing a few channels yesterday that 'magically' reappeared later in the day!).

If i read this right level 3 communications is my upstream provider, It's also very possible it's centurylink  so i guess that doen't bode well for me. I do have issues with large files as a whole such as programs and such so it does seem to imply that's the issue with me. Thank you for the help so far.

Assistant Professor

Yup... CL bought Level3 and a few others.

What I tend to see is a short burst, then it seems to stall for 60 seconds, then restarts, and goes up and down for the remainder. Sometimes there are other 60-second stalls that happen after that initial one, but it's never a straight-line download, always a bumpy up-and-down kind of envelope.

Here's how I know it's CL and not HughesNet: I have some managed server space that is not near HughesNet at all. The server has a small bot that pulls the rss feed of a blog. It then takes the feed and embeds the last 10 titles onto an image, which then gets posted on the blog's Twitter account. The bot kicks off three times a day... except when it doesn't, because the oauth to Twitter has timed out after 60 seconds and the server sends me an cron error email. I literally ssh'd onto the server and did a traceroute from it to the Twitter url that I use and there are only 2 hops between them, both CenturyLink. QED

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
New Poster

@MarkJFine wrote:

Yup... CL bought Level3 and a few others.

What I tend to see is a short burst, then it seems to stall for 60 seconds, then restarts, and goes up and down for the remainder. Sometimes there are other 60-second stalls that happen after that initial one, but it's never a straight-line download, always a bumpy up-and-down kind of envelope.

Here's how I know it's CL and not HughesNet: I have some managed server space that is not near HughesNet at all. The server has a small bot that pulls the rss feed of a blog. It then takes the feed and embeds the last 10 titles onto an image, which then gets posted on the blog's Twitter account. The bot kicks off three times a day... except when it doesn't, because the oauth to Twitter has timed out after 60 seconds and the server sends me an cron error email. I literally ssh'd onto the server and did a traceroute from it to the Twitter url that I use and there are only 2 hops between them, both CenturyLink. QED

Alright that makes sense than, so im probably not going to be able to resolve anything with them by the sounds of it. Thanks for the help guys.